Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cost of living: United States vs. Korea
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Cost of living: United States vs. Korea Reply with quote

Guess which country has a lower/higher cost of living?

The answer may surprise you.

It is a tie.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings_by_country.jsp

Korea used to be cheaper than the U.S., but no more.

(In fact, it's not unreasonable to surmise that (because inflation in Korea is greater than inflation in the U.S.) by next year's report Korea will be ranked as having a higher cost of living than the U.S. This will probably grow and grow in the years to come.)
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the restaurant index I wonder what quality of restaurants they are comparing.

e.g. Kimbap Chungkook vs. McDonalds
or Kimbap ChungKoon vs. proper restaurant
or proper restaurant vs. proper restaurant
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think fast food restaurants here are a bit more expensive, but offer lower quality food.

Yesterday I went to Lotteria. I ordered the grilled chicken sandwich (thinking it would be the healthiest option and thinking it would be chicken breast meat). It wasn't. It was the disgusting tasting fatty throw away gristley meat of the chicken. So gross to eat and not healthy. McDonalds (and other fast food restaurants in the West) at least use the breast meat for their grilled chicken sandwiches.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing Korea and Canada: Korea has a lot "cheap eats" restaurants, and some quality places. Canada I think has less "cheap eats" restaurants, eating out is more for special occasions.

I eat out a lot here (or order in), but it isn't so special as eating out in Canada. In my Korean town, Outback steakhouse is high-end, but that's just a middle of the road restaurant (e.g. Apple-bee's) in Canada.
orosee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For non-essentials, I just got upset again about the price of electronics. If you've been hanging around COEX, you may have seen LG's new 84'' LCD TV (that's about the size of one twin sized bed)?

Local price just over Won 24 million, US price just under $15,000 incl. free shipping. So the local price of a local product is almost 50% higher than the competitive export price Sad

I wonder if it ships free from US to SK?
augustine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ that's ridiculous. Koreans get absolutely shafted when it comes to their own companies' electronics products, and almost none of them even realize it.
northway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that most of the Korean electronics sold in the States are mostly manufactured in Mexico, thus explaining some of the price difference.
Brooks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you have a free apartment and can use the subway, Korea is a good deal.
But Korea has gotten more expensive, as wages have risen.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooks wrote:
Well, if you have a free apartment and can use the subway, Korea is a good deal.
But Korea has gotten more expensive, as wages have risen.

Whose wages? Not English teachers over the last 5 years.... (Unemployment here is high, so I would imagine not for Koreans either.)
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Seoul is probably a tie compared to a major US city.

Housing isn't too bad, eating out is cheap, taxi is cheap, subway is cheap. But grocery is expensive, clothing and whatnot in the mall is very expensive. Plus there's more nightlife in KR...going out every night with friends; money can slip thru your fingers here...
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
In my Korean town, Outback steakhouse is high-end, but that's just a middle of the road restaurant (e.g. Apple-bee's) in Canada.

Yeah, Outback is borderline barf, plus expensive! We went last weekend and it was 75M KRW for two, and hell it was just a couple of steaks. Plus the service is these Western places is iffy. And they are always putting nasty sugar/cheese sauces all over everything to cover up their crappy meat quality. I could have cooked it at home for 25M.

Prefer Korean joints, a good BBQ place and a fair price.
Brooks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Korea back in 1997 when the average wage for Koreans was $10,000 a year. Koreans make more money than they used to, but their expenses have gone up.

In the US, well generally you need a car to get around.
Wages for teachers aren't so good, but outside certain big cities, rent is not that bad.
Otherside

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
In my Korean town, Outback steakhouse is high-end, but that's just a middle of the road restaurant (e.g. Apple-bee's) in Canada.

Yeah, Outback is borderline barf, plus expensive! We went last weekend and it was 75M KRW for two, and hell it was just a couple of steaks. Plus the service is these Western places is iffy. And they are always putting nasty sugar/cheese sauces all over everything to cover up their crappy meat quality. I could have cooked it at home for 25M.

You know K is for thousand, and M is for Million right?
Unless those were the most expensive steaks ever served.

As for the service, come on, the service at the average Outback puts most Western Restaurants to shame. Actually, the service in Korea is far better than in the West and for most places you don't even tip (Outback has a service charge though).

As for the quality, it's not amazing, but I wouldn't call it "borderline barf".
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otherside wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
Who's Your Daddy? wrote:

As for the service, come on, the service at the average Outback puts most Western Restaurants to shame. Actually, the service in Korea is far better than in the West and for most places you don't even tip (Outback has a service charge though).

LOL yeah, I write MM, BB, M, K all day at work and get confused sometimes, that would be expensive.

Yep K-Outback service is better than US-Outback service, but low compared to normal Korean service. Also they need a buzzer dammit! Even Pizza Hut has a buzzer if I remember correctly? It ought to be law, no buzzer, no business license.

Certain items are good, like a steak or ribs without the sauce. But they do a lot of weird things. Hell I thought I saw a lobster covered with a baked-on mashed potato load and then further tortured w cheese sauce? These are things the human race could surely do without. One thing I like about Koreans: no F'in cheese on everything! Cool

But it's better than Cheesecake Factory so I should shut up. Thank the virgin Mary mother of Jezus there is no Cheesecake Factory in Korea.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otherside wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
Who's Your Daddy? wrote:

I've always felt the opposite about service here. For the most part, I feel restaurants in Korea are just "there" service-wise. They bring the food, and that's about it.

On a recent trip to NY, my daughter kept remarking how nice the servers were - everyone was talking to her saying hi. They seemed to go out of their way to make sure we were happy with our meals.

but when it comes to stores, it's almost flipped. K-dept stores, the employees swarm ya with service. US stores - you're lucky to find someone who works there... and then they'll tell ya it's not their dept. lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: