Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there still an F-visa group?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chungbukdo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Is there still an F-visa group? Reply with quote

I remember reading about an F-visa group a long time ago that would have meetups and chat online. Does this exist still?
T-J

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.afek.info
IanChops

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afek turns into a pay site after a while. Try geoju.kr
f12

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avoid afek
it is run by a nazi moron who will try to charge a membership fee to access the site as "a contribution" to their "community" (a handful of posters). and get this: you can get more useful info on eslcafe and for free.
another thing you need to be aware of is that they harvest ARCs who knows for what kind of identity scam
furtakk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard geoju is pretty much dead. Is it still active?
T-J

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFEK has always been free to use if you contribute to the community by simply being an active member.

Anyone who states or implies anything different is simply a bold faced liar.

Feel free to check out the other site as well if it's still active. I don't give a crap what site anyone uses. Here's the link for the other one.

http://geoju.kr/en/
brier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Geoju (거주) is the Korean word for resident. Being a resident of Korea means having deeper ties to the country and different needs. Geoju seeks to create a greater sense of community both among fellow residents as well as the greater community in which we reside. The goal will be realized by sharing information and experiences."

What does having an F visa have to do with the membership statement? Can I join? No. Even though married to an ethnic Korean, have a child born and raised here, lived here for over 18 years. F*sites are exclusionary. Circle jerk comes to mind.
chungbukdo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why AFEK is called an F visa group but one cant use their F visa as proof to register. Only an ARC card is accepted and Ive lost mine and have to spend 4 weeks getting one. It would make sense to allow a shot of the F visa as proof, since a valid F visa in a passport is good proof of having an F visa.
T-J

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chungbukdo wrote:
I wonder why AFEK is called an F visa group but one cant use their F visa as proof to register. Only an ARC card is accepted and Ive lost mine and have to spend 4 weeks getting one. It would make sense to allow a shot of the F visa as proof, since a valid F visa in a passport is good proof of having an F visa.

Because AFEK stands for Association of F-class Expatriates within Korea.

It is an exclusive group by design. It's not a group for people that have received their visa from overseas and are looking for a lot of FOB information.

There are a lot of other sites that fill that niche. AFEK isn't by design that site.
Old Painless

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good site. I used it when I lived there and appreciated the work he put into it to get it off the ground. I dealt with Mike via PM for any problems I had, and found him more than reasonable. Firm hand, yes. Nazi, no.
chungbukdo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-J wrote:
chungbukdo wrote:

It is an exclusive group by design. It's not a group for people that have received their visa from overseas and are looking for a lot of FOB information.

There are a lot of other sites that fill that niche. AFEK isn't by design that site.

Good answer.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a group for expat dads in Korea on FB as well - might be what some of you are looking for. Shoot me a PM if interested.

No specific visa required - but ya do need to be a papa. Don't want any stalkers joining up. Wink

edit: Forgot, there's also an expat parents group on FB.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-J wrote:
chungbukdo wrote:

I wantes to join, but I can't understand the need to show any part of your ARC number. Why can't I just take a picture of it without the numbers? It still shows F-visa stamped on the card and they are even a different color than the E-2 visas.
T-J

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only three things that need to be visible on your ARC for access are:

1. F status
2. First initial of each name
3. First six digits of your ARC# (your birthday)

This is only used to:

1. Verify F visa status
2. Prevent multiple accounts

Chances of someone having the same initials and birthdate are slim to none and there is really nothing nefarious that can be done with:

A***** J***** S*****
F-6

As a random example
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicwr2002 wrote:
T-J wrote:
chungbukdo wrote:

I wantes to join, but I can't understand the need to show any part of your ARC number. Why can't I just take a picture of it without the numbers? It still shows F-visa stamped on the card and they are even a different color than the E-2 visas.

Keep in mind that the cards have changed every few years. My ARC looks nothing like most F5s that I've seen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: