Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silkhighway

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suck at everything. (To my defense, I just started lifting a couple of months ago!) I enjoy squats and deadlifts because they feel so efficient. They knock everything out of you and I like that. I also really enjoy chest flys. Not sure why..I just like how they feel.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorites are squats and overhead presses. Love how I can overhead press more than a lot of people, i.e. Koreans, I see at the gym can bench.

Just wondering what your heights and weights are, captain corea and metafitx, to be able to squat 7 plates on a side and row a 400+ lb barbell. My PR for squats is 170 kg, and pendlay row is 100 kg. I'm sure I could have reached 4 plates on a side squatting if I didn't hurt my knee playing basketball, but 7 is crazy.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 was crazy - AND it was outside of a rack. I remember picking up that weight and having the bar bounce... and bounce... and bounce.. and realizing how small the bar felt at that point. I'm 6', and was around 240 at that time.

The thing is, I've always had 'chicken legs'. From about half the quad down, it would be hard to tell I've ever lifted. But my upper quads, hips, and back... seemed to like that lift. 'suppose that's why I'm spending so much time correcting my back and hips at the age of 38 Embarassed
Jyang486

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
7 was crazy - AND it was outside of a rack. I remember picking up that weight and having the bar bounce... and bounce... and bounce.. and realizing how small the bar felt at that point. I'm 6', and was around 240 at that time.

The thing is, I've always had 'chicken legs'. From about half the quad down, it would be hard to tell I've ever lifted. But my upper quads, hips, and back... seemed to like that lift. 'suppose that's why I'm spending so much time correcting my back and hips at the age of 38 Embarassed

At 170 kg, there was a slight bend in the bar when I squatted. I can't imagine how flimsy the bar was at 300 kg, like squatting a noodle? lol..240 lbs sounds about right to be able to squat that much. At my highest weight, when I was able to do 170 kg, I was roughly 185 lbs. Right now I'm at a much leaner 165ish, and I struggle to do 5 reps of 120 kg. I have chicken legitis as well. Going to start Smolov squats today. Want to try to get to 180 by spring.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-add-100-pounds-to-your-squat-smolov/
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Mark Henry (US Olympic team) squat 8 a side like it was air. Another bud of mine would eat 8 a side on a weekly basis.

Our gym had a number of bent olympic bars. We all got careful not to 'bounce' them when doing that sort of lift. The bars could handle the weight, but that bounce would turn permanent.

Body weight though... it doesn't always matter. I've seen guys far lighter than me outlift me easy. Some people just train for it.. others have a very different way of recruiting muscle fibers.

Good luck on building that squat, man. Let us know how you like that program.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the people who are long-term gym-heads, perhaps military, and have hit the peak physical condition of glory Cool ; I want to learn the fundamentals.

I've always practiced the art of knowing when other people know more than I do, and learning from them. In this area I don't know much. Here's my current weekly drill which I follow religiously, it's getting okay results. Goal: I want to be in overall fantastic health (not rippling muscles, or marathon lean but balanced sustainable overall damn good shape).

Diet: ~2200 calories which is weight neutral. Protein .75 grams per pound body weight (high), fats normal, carbs around 150 grams depending on activity (low). Sugars low too. Mostly Korean diet, lots of vegi, protein from chicken breasts, eggs, milk, and rice protein powder (Sun Warrior brand). Steady three meals a day food stream and shake at night so there is always plenty of protein available 24/7. A multivitamin.

Weights Workout: 4 days a week; M upper body, T lower body/abs, W rest, T upper, F lower, Sat/Sun rest. No messing around, protein & carbs for breakfast, hit gym, lift heavy stuff for 20min, drink Pocari Sweat for sugars, gone. After doing this weight cycle in a couple months plan to hit the cardio to lose some fat, then back to weights.

Improvements? This is my newbie understanding of good fundamentals. What can be improved here? How long do you do a weight cycle before switching to a cardio cycle? Also I can and will spend 60 min in the gym 4x per week, but is it going to get me anything over a HARD 20 min? Example: during the 20 min on upper body day it's; bench, shoulder press, rows, curls, standard stuff. Three sets, maybe 12, 10, 8, done.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's my quick take on what you've written... and it's just one guy's opinion. Feel free to take what ya like, drop what you don't.

Your diet looks fine. Adjust according to goals if ya like. The workouts though have me wondering - 20 minutes of weight lifting does not sound like enough in my books. Shoot, nowadays my warm up for lifting takes 10 minutes. To do your upper or lower body in 20 minutes (presuming you're excluding warm up) sounds like too little to tell the truth - I just doubt that you can recruit the muscles you're trying to hit in that short amount of time.

Of course, it'd be much better if we were chatting in person and able to discuss/show things in more detail - but as it stands, that's the area I'd consider adjusting.

Quote:
Example: during the 20 min on upper body day it's; bench, shoulder press, rows, curls, standard stuff. Three sets, maybe 12, 10, 8, done.

Yeah, the more I look at this, the more I think it'd be extremely tough to achieve much with this plan.

But then it boiled down to... what do you want to achieve?
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
The workouts though have me wondering - 20 minutes of weight lifting does not sound like enough in my books.

Yeah, I think I've been ignoring lots of muscle groups simply because I just don't know enough exercises. I've been watching some Marco Silva videos today to learn more moves, and proper form. I don't know who this guy is or if he is well respected, but his body looks natural/long/lean (which is my goal) not puffy/massive.

He has it split into 6 focused sessions.

1 Chest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA4uXWk1e7Q&feature=share&list=ULbA4uXWk1e7Q

2 Shoulder: http://youtu.be/qDtc9msp-sU

3 Arms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h21EYx3oee8&feature=share&list=ULh21EYx3oee8

4 Abs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1fL4cP0fwQ&feature=share&list=ULo1fL4cP0fwQ

5 Back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjVnX4IWisM&feature=share&list=ULHjVnX4IWisM

6 Legs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEphRqcFmTA&feature=share&list=ULLEphRqcFmTA

Obviously there's no way it can be done in 20min 4x per week. Thus it seems I need to up my time and also up my carbs in order to keep up with this, getting exhausted just looking at this dude. Maybe chest/shoulder/arms day one, then abs/back/legs day two, then a rest day, repeat. So hitting all muscle groups twice/week with a two day rest for each muscle group.

Does this look like a more complete workout? Might be an hour to complete counting stretches, hard to say until I try it out.

Any all-time classic videos for a newb or is that not really helpful given we have free Youtube? I don't mind buying a DVD if it's solid stuff that's going to help.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just watched his first vid.. the chest one, and I think it's more in line with my style of lifting. I may not agree with everything he was saying or doing, and would not necessarily suggest that you follow him to a t, but I think that you are looking in the right direction when you're considering adding more exercises to your workout.

I'm an isolationist in the gym. I look at a muscle (group), and break it down into sections - and then try to figure out the best/most available ways of getting at those sections.

You'll find there's another camp though - one that says that big, compound exercises are the way to go. That you need only to very few exercises to achieve results.

Keep at it and discover which suits you best.

I think I might do up one of these type videos and upload it next month... even if it's just for me to double check my form - might be good to do.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take in more carbs and calories on workout days compared to non workout days. Make the meal post workout your biggest meal, lots of protein and carbs, and take in the majority of your daily intake of carbs peri workout, pre/post. That pocari drink isn't going to do much to replenish. On non workout days tone down the carbs and increase protein intake and fats intake.

In terms of your workout, if you have more time to lift, then spend more time lifting harder. More weight less reps. I rec Stronglifts/Starting Strength 5x5 until you can figure out what you really want to get out of your workouts. What workouts do you do for lower body? And don't stop lifting "to cycle in cardio." If you want to melt fat keep lifting and get stronger, and add sprints/hiit if you want to do cardio.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. So a few questions here...

Jyang486 wrote:
Take in more carbs and calories on workout days compared to non workout days. Make the meal post workout your biggest meal, lots of protein and carbs, and take in the majority of your daily intake of carbs peri workout, pre/post. That pocari drink isn't going to do much to replenish.

This hits on a few problems I've been sensing. I'm doing carbs/protein for breakfast (soybeans or rice, boiled egg, milk+rice powder), gym, chug sugar afterwards, hit the subway to office, then hit a chicken breast and rice at lunch. Plenty of energy during workout, post workout without the Pocari which is 85cal of sugars I'd die. But I find that on the way to the office am still like ARGH I need some grapes or something dammit!! So maybe I need to be carbing more post workout, BUT I just feel like I'm going to fatten up FAST doing that (ain't in my 20s anymore). And I'm just sitting at a desk.

So protein and carbing post workout within about 20 min? Actually if I'm hitting a full hour gym time I can probably do that and not fatten up.

Jyang486 wrote:
And don't stop lifting "to cycle in cardio." If you want to melt fat keep lifting and get stronger, and add sprints/hiit if you want to do cardio.

The theory I've heard is do a "cycle of weights", build the muscle, because muscle consumes energy to exist, then when you have got that solid, switch to cardio to shed the fat. Obvious some muscle is going to be lost during this period. I've always been a runner so I dig the cardio (weights are new to me). And also I really don't want to be big muscle with loads fat.

So is this approach typical? How long would a typical "cycle" last, months? And then standard procedure would be to switch after some months but keep some balance (like 70/30?) so you don't lose all the muscle during cardio, or gain too much fat when in lifting mode? I've heard it's unrealistic to try to muscle up + lose fat simultaneously.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
I'm an isolationist in the gym. I look at a muscle (group), and break it down into sections - and then try to figure out the best/most available ways of getting at those sections.

You'll find there's another camp though - one that says that big, compound exercises are the way to go. That you need only to very few exercises to achieve results.

Keep at it and discover which suits you best.

Excellent. I can make this a long term part of my life, but I've got too many other interests to devote a huge amount of time to it (I'm never going to be this dude in the video). So my thinking, and I may be wrong, is that I should probably focus on simple natural movements that hit large groups of muscles evenly. That way once I get into shape I can maintain it, without becoming a total gym rat, which realistically I can't do.

That said, I'm dedicating 2013 to this and taking it seriously. I want to get there, which is going to be work, and then switch into maintenance mode.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing, what are the effects of drinking on muscle?

Not good I imagine. To be honest with myself I need to cut down on the going out/drinking, or at least be the guy who drinks orange juice. Seoul just sucks you into that life, which is fun, but I feel like the CASS is murdering my muscle tone. Trying to do both is probably going to get me nowhere. Sad
Jyang486

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing this by phone so I won't be quoting, PITA. So this post might seem all over the place.

If you workout in the morning, eat an hour or two before lifting, cereal and milk is fine tbh, and eat within an hour of lifting. I'd say sip on your protein shake during your workout and finish it post. Take in starchy carbs with protein for your post workout meal, like whole wheat pasta, greens, and grilled chicken breast. Take multi-vs with your first meal. I'd also recommend getting extra vitamin C supplements, 500~1000 mg a tab/cap. Take roughly 2 grams a day, 1g in the morning, 1g late afternoon/dinner. Helps reduce cortisol, the stress/weight gain hormones, and to increase production of L-carnitine, which helps in fatty acid transportation during fat breakdown. Don't need anything else except maybe fish oil supps.

Your basal metabolism does most of the calorie burning work, so don't worry about the intake of carbs after workouts/before sitting at a desk all day. You need the carbs. Don't think: "all carbs are sugar, all carbs turn to fat if I sit on my ass doing nothing." You will be in nutrient burning mode for a good while post workout. Only time to reduce carbs is during no workout days. Even if you don't follow the program, read up on LeanGains. It has good info on nutrition.

I'm in the full compound movements camp, mainly because it's easier to remember and plan ahead for me. Squat 3 times a week, bench press every other workout, overhead press on days you don't do chest press, and do rows for back work every workout day. I'd recommend to lift every other day, or a set schedule like MWF or TThSa.

It's not about the effects of alcohol on muscle, but rather the effects of alcohol on getting lean. The carbs from beer/alcohol will be stored rather than utilized, preventing you from getting leaner, unless you do enough lifting/exercise or have a strong consistent diet to offset the alcohol consumption. But unless you're a professional athlete, you're really hurting your chances to make significant progress if you drink often.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Thanks, this all makes sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 10 of 51

Jump to: