Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grab the Chickens Levi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thematrixiam wrote:
Bigfeet wrote:
Stop taking protein powders if you're trying to get rid of your beer belly. They're only needed for skinny people that have trouble gaining weight. 90% of the people that take them probably don't need them.

Don't listen to this guy.

And mr. sasquatch, learn your facts.

Nah, do listen to him if you don't want all the access calories to turn to droopy fat round your waist when you take a lull in training and don't want consitpation... Unless you're going for the flex magazine look, you don't need half as much protein as most people claim...
thematrixiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthews_world wrote:
I've had a stomach since I was in university. 1800 situps and leg raises per week doesn't seem to help, although there is a bit of definition. I'm thinking about doing a tummy tuck.

30 min. of walking on the treadmill, the sit-ups, plus weights 4 days per week has certainly had an affect. Weight has remained at a sustained level, must be the the added muscle tone.

My weakness is the few cookies and chips I snack on in the afternoon when after I've finished the day although I will eat fruit. I do keep away from the heart-clogging cheese, pizza and hamburgers pretty regularly and include veggies in my diet.

drop the cookies. drop the chips. drop juice. Drink water. switch to high protein, low carb. count your calories.
do 3 days a week where you take in more carbs, maybe around 300grams, depending on your weight. Carbs only in the early hours. Figure all of what you are going to eat in a day. now split that up into 6 meals or more. Deal with the hungry pains, you'll get use to it. Drink lots and lots of water. If you're not peeing clear, it's not enough.

Walking?... you want to cut weight right? Kick it up a notch please. Walking is for 80 year olds, and bodybuilders that don't need cardio and don't want to loose their muscle.

What's your extra poundage at?

I just lost 30 lbs since feb. I also do it on the regular. Loosing weight, gaining muscle is easy... People that can't, haven't tried. Not to be mean. I believe anyone should try to loose that fat if they think it is an issue. But try to also be able to realize when you are not givin it your 100%. This is your life, your body. Don't go telling yourself you can never do it, for being too fat, too skinny if you haven't tried yet. Cheating on a routine is just that, cheating. Chips is cheating. Cheat during the days of your life that you want to be fat. Then you can't get mad at yourself. If you really need to cheat, make it one day a week. It's better to have it never though. Especially in the begining. Because it's so hard to stop. It makes life way easier on you and other if you just don't eat bad things.
Bigfeet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thematrixiam wrote:
[Don't listen to this guy.

What facts am I missing? Your body is perfectly capable of making protein on its own if you're on a decent diet. Most of the vitamins, protein powders, etc. just get pissed and crapped away anyway, the rest get turned into fat.
thematrixiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab the Chickens Levi wrote:
thematrixiam wrote:
Bigfeet wrote:
Stop taking protein powders if you're trying to get rid of your beer belly. They're only needed for skinny people that have trouble gaining weight. 90% of the people that take them probably don't need them.

Don't listen to this guy.

Nah, do listen to him if you don't want all the access calories to turn to droopy fat round your waist when you take a lull in training and don't want consitpation... Unless you're going for the flex magazine look, you don't need half as much protein as most people claim...

Nah do listen to me.
If you are working out 3 days a week, you need it. Assuming you calculate the intake of your other food and the intake from your protein, you will NOT over kill on calories. Why? because you are the one counting.

I never once said to go by the directions on the box... That is for companies that want you to gain most if not all protein from their product.

I use maybe 4 scoops a day max. Some directions have you using 12 scoops. Which is outrageous.

But the protein does offer easily accessible protein in high quantities. You can get it from food if you want, and have the added benefit of burning calories in the extra effort to digest it. But you also wont get benefit of the easily accessible protein that way.

Protein in not only needed for
Quote:
skinny people trying to gain weight
. That's just moronic. What about bodybuilders? You do know that most if not all use protein shakes? Also are they skinny? or are they fat?.... I'll give it to you. Both. Some bodybuilders choose to watch their weight a little bit more, and care less about gains, so they will be skinny while gaining. Others realize the benifits of overkilling in calories while gaining muscle. This is why bodybuilders look fat in the off season and skinny in the on season.
thematrixiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigfeet wrote:
thematrixiam wrote:
[Don't listen to this guy.

What facts am I missing? Your body is perfectly capable of making protein on its own if you're on a decent diet. Most of the vitamins, protein powders, etc. just get pissed and crapped away anyway, the rest get turned into fat.

You do know that our body burns protein better than carbs or fats right?

Hence the whole low carb fad?

Sure we can make proteins. But it's easier to just provide them.
Get pissed away? Sure, but so does the chicken you eat. We can't digest half, if not all, the food we eat efficiently.
Bigfeet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not talking about bodybuilders. Most people I see at gyms are not bodybuilders. Most people i see/hear drinking protein powders are not bodybuilders. They're just looking for an easy way to gain muscles, but it doesn't work.
thematrixiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigfeet wrote:
We're not talking about bodybuilders. Most people I see at gyms are not bodybuilders. Most people i see/hear drinking protein powders are not bodybuilders. They're just looking for an easy way to gain muscles, but it doesn't work.

if they are in the gym 3 days a week, it will benefit.
Bigfeet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thematrixiam wrote:
[

Get pissed away? Sure, but so does the chicken you eat. We can't digest half, if not all, the food we eat efficiently.

Your body gets everything it need from a decent diet. It automatically breaks down meat into protein. Providing more isn't going to help it any and will probably hurt your goal of losing fat.
Bigfeet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thematrixiam wrote:

if they are in the gym 3 days a week, it will benefit.

Three days a week sounds like maintenance to me. It may help you keep what you have but I don't think you can gain by going that few times per week.
thematrixiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigfeet wrote:
thematrixiam wrote:
[

Your body gets everything it need from a decent diet. It automatically breaks down meat into protein. Providing more isn't going to help it any and will probably hurt your goal of losing fat.

My goal? I have abs already. I have had abs before. I know how to lose weight.

It's impossible to gain magical calories out of thin air. If you know what you are getting in, you will not get fat.
thematrixiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/proteinshakebenefits.htm
thematrixiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Your body uses protein to build muscle, and as such you want to make sure you can consuming enough protein for your body to use. 1 gram per pound of body weight is a good number. Protein shakes help you get that protein, as it's hard to consume that much food in the course of a day for some people.

Also right after your workout your body needs food to begin rebuilding itself after the damage that was just caused to it. Protein shakes are great here, as whey protein is very fast absorbing. Protein shakes will not make you fat! My god, where do people come up with this stuff. Protein shakes in skim milk contain less fat that a regular glass of 2% milk! And no protein isn't a scam, it's one of the few things pretty much everyone agrees on is the most valid supplement out there.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dean2.htm
Bigfeet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, most people aren't bodybuilders. Most people I see at gyms need to lose weight, not gain it. For these people, taking protein powders will probably do more harm than good.
thematrixiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigfeet wrote:
Again, most people aren't bodybuilders. Most people I see at gyms need to lose weight, not gain it. For these people, taking protein powders will probably do more harm than good.

harm... such as?

You don't need to be a "bodybuilder" to work out. The same principles apply to everyone. The only difference is how long someone continues to try to gain muscle for. The average Joe can stop after getting buff, and just let it slide for the rest of the year if they want.

Gaining muscle isn't some magical formula for those that aren't bodybuilders. It's the same.

Same goes for losing weight.
thematrixiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you do know there are differnt protein shakes out there as well...

gainers, cutters, lean muscle mass gainers, maintainers, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 2 of 51

Jump to: