Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting program. Honestly, I can't imagine doing it.. but that's not to say there's nothing to it... just can't imagine me doing it. If I do squats, well, three times a weeks sounds near impossible for me.

But if any of you guys are doing it, I'd be curious how it feels for ya. Do you feel there's enough time for recovery?
Jyang486

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Interesting program. Honestly, I can't imagine doing it.. but that's not to say there's nothing to it... just can't imagine me doing it. If I do squats, well, three times a weeks sounds near impossible for me.

But if any of you guys are doing it, I'd be curious how it feels for ya. Do you feel there's enough time for recovery?

That's just the beginners program. You'd fall under the advanced program, which is like at most twice a week of 3 sets per. Mehdi, who developed the SL program, also recommended the Smolov program for advanced lifters. I'm jut doing it to get back to where I was before taking a long break.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leg day followed by subway stairs...whoh.
12ax7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, you can do squats twice a day, 7 days a week if you want. Any program is easy if you do it half-assed, using low weights only. I'm not huge on these fitness guru-type workouts. You do what works for you and, most importantly, what you enjoy doing. As long as you don't get injured, it's all good...Just don't do it half-assed. Wink
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyang486 wrote:

This is a good read about your question on the effects of alcohol and staying fit. I learned a lot from this article.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

Thanks. I'm going to attempt to summarize his drinking strategy.

On drinking day: *
1) fat intake of .3g / kg body weight (quite low)
2) carb intake of 1.5g / kg body weight from vegies (fairly low)
3) protein intake makes up the difference (high)
4) drink low carb drinks like tequila, rum, vodka (not beer or fruity cocktails)
* max one drinking day per week

I'll try it because this is an issue for me here in Seoul!!! If I buff up all week but then go out and drink a bunch of beer Friday, by Sunday if feels like I've gone soft again. Maybe it's the carbs from the regular diet plus beer carbs and it just blows the entire week.

Q: This drinking strategy is only going to be 100-120g carbs for a lot of people. Don't you run out of energy while out on the town? Is the body able to use any of the carbs in alcohol, or are those useless for energy?
silkhighway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
Bah, you can do squats twice a day, 7 days a week if you want. Any program is easy if you do it half-assed, using low weights only. I'm not huge on these fitness guru-type workouts. You do what works for you and, most importantly, what you enjoy doing. As long as you don't get injured, it's all good...Just don't do it half-assed. Wink

I completely agree the best workout is the one that keeps you coming back for more. SS and SL are not suitable for everyone nor are they compatible with everyone's goals.

However, I don't think it's fair to brand SS and SL as fitness guru workouts. Despite the brand and slick marketing package the SL guy has, these are actually old school barbell strength training programs used by coaches for decades, and they don't preach anything radical. Focus on key compound exercises, nail down proper technique, progress linearly until you can't progress anymore, and eat lots of food.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silkhighway wrote:
Despite the brand and slick marketing package the SL guy has, these are actually old school barbell strength training programs used by coaches for decades, and they don't preach anything radical. Focus on key compound exercises, nail down proper technique, progress linearly until you can't progress anymore, and eat lots of food.

I was thinking of downloading the Starting Strength "Basic Barbell Training" Kindle book. Somewhat confussed, is this also a suggested lifting program or just a book on form? It looks very detailed on form which is good enough, if it also has some programs that's a bonus.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
silkhighway wrote:
Despite the brand and slick marketing package the SL guy has, these are actually old school barbell strength training programs used by coaches for decades, and they don't preach anything radical. Focus on key compound exercises, nail down proper technique, progress linearly until you can't progress anymore, and eat lots of food.

I was thinking of downloading the Starting Strength "Basic Barbell Training" Kindle book. Somewhat confussed, is this also a suggested lifting program or just a book on form? It looks very detailed on form which is good enough, if it also has some programs that's a bonus.

I'd start with the website (same author as book): http://startingstrength.com/

There's also a 'starting strength' wiki that I don't think is affiliated with the Starting Strength website: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki.

Finally, Stronglifts: http://stronglifts.com/ .

Personally, I find stronglifts website to be off-putting because of the heavy and desperate marketing behind it, but it is a popular program and extremely similar to Starting Strength.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I found some videos and artciles on the SS site, but didn't actually see an overview of the program anywhere??
silkhighway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
^ I found some videos and artciles on the SS site, but didn't actually see an overview of the program anywhere??

Try here: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program .

I think the book has more detail but I haven't read it.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as we're posting videos, I thought I'd toss up one by Charles Glass. I met him years ago, and always thought he had a great way of training people. I might choose different lifts, but his form is very much my style.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Jyang486 wrote:

This is a good read about your question on the effects of alcohol and staying fit. I learned a lot from this article.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

Thanks. I'm going to attempt to summarize his drinking strategy.

On drinking day: *
1) fat intake of .3g / kg body weight (quite low)
2) carb intake of 1.5g / kg body weight from vegies (fairly low)
3) protein intake makes up the difference (high)
4) drink low carb drinks like tequila, rum, vodka (not beer or fruity cocktails)
* max one drinking day per week

I'll try it because this is an issue for me here in Seoul!!! If I buff up all week but then go out and drink a bunch of beer Friday, by Sunday if feels like I've gone soft again. Maybe it's the carbs from the regular diet plus beer carbs and it just blows the entire week.

Q: This drinking strategy is only going to be 100-120g carbs for a lot of people. Don't you run out of energy while out on the town? Is the body able to use any of the carbs in alcohol, or are those useless for energy?

His point was that the problem isn't so much the alcohol, but because the carbs from alcohol gets digested first, the rest of the carbs/protein/fat gets put on the back burner. So basically it's okay to drink alcohol, but try to minimize your consumption of 안주 when drinking.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silkhighway wrote:
12ax7 wrote:

I completely agree the best workout is the one that keeps you coming back for more. SS and SL are not suitable for everyone nor are they compatible with everyone's goals.

However, I don't think it's fair to brand SS and SL as fitness guru workouts. Despite the brand and slick marketing package the SL guy has, these are actually old school barbell strength training programs used by coaches for decades, and they don't preach anything radical. Focus on key compound exercises, nail down proper technique, progress linearly until you can't progress anymore, and eat lots of food.
Ok, let me reword that: I'm not big on fitness fads, particularly those that are heavily marketed.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd put myself in that camp as well. I'm willing to try out new techniques an stuff, but find that the basics... that I've tailored to my body, work well for me.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
silkhighway wrote:
12ax7 wrote:

Ok, let me reword that: I'm not big on fitness fads, particularly those that are heavily marketed.

Until you really know what is right for you, these foundation workouts are key. Just because they are heavily marketed doesn't make them worthless. It takes months, if not years, for beginners to figure out what truly works for them. During this period of learning, programs that preach the importance of consistency, discipline, and proper techniques are incredibly important. And that's where these programs like Starting Strength and Stronglifts come in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 12 of 51

Jump to: