Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Just out of curiosity, I asked over on bodybuilding.com whether people lift to be intimidating or not. It's interesting, because usually that site is full of test driven responses, but even over there, it's not really the main thing the guys talk about... might be a side effect, but I don't think many people train with that as their main focus.

Probably an answer most people don't give; I think one of the big benefits of a proper lean muscular shape is resistance to gravity. People experience 80 years of gravity relentlessly pushing down on them! A strong back, strong abs, a slim form like nature intended, and good posture is the path of least resistance to gravity. On the other hand if you have a huge belly, or huge breasts, or weak muscles trying to hold up piles of fat, the body is off-balance and gravity makes that very painful year after year.

Illustration, human evolution: http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.381149.1314481141!/img/httpImage/alg-manthropology-jpg.jpg

...also, it's more intimidating which helps for warding off male attackers and causing females to bow to your will. Wink
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't think anyone said it exactly that way, but in that link, you'll see a lot of lifters talking about staying in shape for similar reasons - to ward off aging. The gravity thing is an easy to see example though. lol
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Yeah, I don't think anyone said it exactly that way, but in that link, you'll see a lot of lifters talking about staying in shape for similar reasons - to ward off aging. The gravity thing is an easy to see example though. lol

Yup, a lot of people think I'm 10 years younger than I really am. Who would have thought that working out regularly and not smoking is good for you? Wink
highstreet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with programs where you train a single muscle every day? For example, chest monday, arms tuesday, shoulders wednesday, etc...

I've been training on and off for a few years, just looking to switch it up for a change. Also, I hate going to the gym just to run or bike.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's basically how my average week goes - about 60 mins per total session

Mon-Chest
Tues-Back
Wed-Legs
Thurs-Shoulders
Fri-Arms
Sat-Rest
Sun-Rest

There are lots of reasons why this works for me, but a few of them are...

-The weekends are usually my family time... and the gym has odd hours.
-I have loads on time on Wed, so I give that day to legs.
-I train arms at the end of the week so that they don't impact the bigger lifts much.
-I am generally sore for 3-6days after training a body part. This current programs gives me enough rest.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
Anyone have any experience with programs where you train a single muscle every day? For example, chest monday, arms tuesday, shoulders wednesday, etc...

I've been training on and off for a few years, just looking to switch it up for a change. Also, I hate going to the gym just to run or bike.

Depends. Once in a while to change up your routine, sure. But over a long period of time? I personally would get bored with a routine like that. I'd also have to go to the gym more often than my schedule permits.

Besides, just because that kind of routine is popular with the pros doesn't mean it's suited for you (those guys go to the gym twice a day since they can't do all muscle groups in a week with just one workout per day). Don't forget, they have "special" body chemistry (wink, wink), which allows them to recuperate faster.
highstreet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that routine popular with pros? I honestly don't keep up with professional bodybuilding/lifting at all.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
Is that routine popular with pros? I honestly don't keep up with professional bodybuilding/lifting at all.

Lots of Pros do lots of things... it's hard to know what they actually do unless you train along side them - the mags write what they want to try to entice readers.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
highstreet wrote:

Lots of Pros do lots of things... it's hard to know what they actually do unless you train along side them - the mags write what they want to try to entice readers.

Yeah, I've always wondered if Mike Mentzer was really working out as little as he claimed. He sure made some money from his instruction books and videos.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:

I used to do that, but got bored of it, and because I couldn't get to the gym 5 times a week, would often go two weeks between training a certain muscle.

Switched to full body workouts three times a week, and have been getting better results, and I like the routine better, so motivation is up.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trans, aren't you seriously sore from that? I mean, let's say you do full body on Mon, rest on Tues, then... do it again on Wed? Is that enough rest time for your recuperation?
detonate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, 4 days a week.
5x5 Heavy of 2 exercises and 3x10 Lighter of 2 exercises.
Then some crossfit after 2 or 3 of the workout days a week.

To summarize, compound lifts for overall strength and some Crossfit for strength/fitness application. If I get too bored with my routine I just keep Squat/Bench/DL to different days and swap around the rest.

M- Squat, Biceps

Tu- Horizontal Push Pull
For example :
Bench 5x5
BB Row 5x5
DB Incline Bench 3x10
DB Rows 3x10
Crossfit WOD

W- rest

Th- Deadlift, Triceps

Fr- Vertical Push Pull (Pullups, Push Press etc)
Calves

Swapping what I do light/heavy helps.
A full weeks true rest is really important for me every 2-3 months.
Rest and 'active rest' seem vital for me if I feel stale in the gym.
highstreet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Trans, aren't you seriously sore from that? I mean, let's say you do full body on Mon, rest on Tues, then... do it again on Wed? Is that enough rest time for your recuperation?

I'm assuming he does something similar to 5x5.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

Only if I haven't been to the gym in a couple of weeks do I feel sore - once I get up and running, everything's works great. Bear in mind though that I lift moderate weight in the 8-12 rep range, rather than try to go superheavy with fewer reps. I try to make it as much about cardio as anything.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, with that rep range... is that generally close to failure?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 14 of 51

Jump to: