Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigfeet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's harmful to people trying to lose weight because you want your body to burn its existing store of fat, not turn excess protein into more fat and store it.
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm working out five days a week.

Monday: Chest and Back
Tuesday: Run for one hour up Namsan
Wednesday: Shoulders, Traps, Biceps and Triceps
Thursday: Stationary Bike and Stair Master for half an hour total, plus abs
Friday: Quads, Hams, Calves

Another way of doing weights that I like is:
Day one: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Day two: Back, Traps, Biceps
Day three: Quads, Hamstrings, Calves

I cycle through both of these every few months. My warmup on weight training days is one thousand jumps on a jump rope (it took me a while to work up to this number; start small).

Sometimes I'll also play squash on Sunday.
I know I should do abs more- no need to tell me.
thematrixiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigfeet wrote:
It's harmful to people trying to lose weight because you want your body to burn its existing store of fat, not turn excess protein into more fat and store it.

I love how you keep saying the same thing over and over. I keep giving proof and stating that you're not going to get fat, magical calories don't come out of no where... and yet it still continues.

http://www.powersupplements.com/protein.htm
Quote:
Will taking protein make me fat?

No - in fact it may help you if you are on a diet. You see the amino acids in protein may help keep your blood sugar levels stabile. This is important because it keeps you feeling good all day and stops your craving for food that occurs when your blood sugar level drops. If your diet is too high in carbohydrates your blood sugar levels go though peaks and valleys. You go from a burst of energy and feeling full to a lull and being hungry. In addition, if you are dieting, getting 17 grams of protein from a protein shake that has only 90 calories is better than getting your protein from a big meal which may have hundreds of calories.

also one with a fun title
"Consuming high amounts of protein may help you burn more fat. "
http://www.worldclassnutrition.com/highprotein.html
Bigfeet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to dig through pages of bodybuilding and diet fads sites to get to this:

"If people eat more protein than they need for
tissue maintenance and repair, their bodies use it for energy.
If it is not needed for energy, their bodies use extra protein
to make fat. It then becomes part of fat cells. "

Link

PDF link: http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-2473/T-3163web.pdf
thematrixiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigfeet wrote:

Link

PDF link: http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-2473/T-3163web.pdf

cute selective quoting.

I retort with this
Quote:

It then becomes part of fat cells. If people do not eat enough calories, protein in food and in their bodies will be used for energy.

from the same source...the next sentence to be exact.

If they are eating SO much that they are going over calories needed for the day, then YES they will get fat.
Bigfeet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thematrixiam wrote:
Bigfeet wrote:

Link

cute selective quoting.

I retort with this
Quote:

It then becomes part of fat cells. If people do not eat enough calories, protein in food and in their bodies will be used for energy.

from the same source...the next sentence to be exact.

If they are eating SO much that they are going over calories needed for the day, then YES they will get fat.

Well my original statement was for a person trying to get rid of a beer belly, so I don't think lack of calories was his problem. Most people I see at the gym don't seem to be lacking in calories either.

If you're trying to lose fat, you need to create a calorie deficit in your body so that it will burn fat for energy. Consuming protein powder is not going to help this process.
Thunndarr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well my original statement was for a person trying to get rid of a beer belly, so I don't think lack of calories was his problem. Most people I see at the gym don't seem to be lacking in calories either.

If you're trying to lose fat, you need to create a calorie deficit in your body so that it will burn fat for energy. Consuming protein powder is not going to help this process.

Ok, I see what the problem is. You're under the impression that a person who adds protein to their diet keeps the rest of their diet exactly the same, resulting in an overall increase in total calories. Now, if you do that, obviously the increase in calories is going to cause you to gain weight (assuming you are over maintenance.)

However, when people say add protein to lose weight, they assume you understand that when you add, say, 100 extra grams of protein to your diet that you may be subtracting 100 grams of carbs, resulting in a net calorie change of zero. The benefit if this is that protein helps regulate your blood sugar levels, and therefore your cravings, helping you lose weight (aside from all the other reasons previously mentioned.)
Grab the Chickens Levi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunndarr wrote:
Quote:

Ok, I see what the problem is. You're under the impression that a person who adds protein to their diet keeps the rest of their diet exactly the same, resulting in an overall increase in total calories. Now, if you do that, obviously the increase in calories is going to cause you to gain weight (assuming you are over maintenance.)

However, when people say add protein to lose weight, they assume you understand that when you add, say, 100 extra grams of protein to your diet that you may be subtracting 100 grams of carbs, resulting in a net calorie change of zero. The benefit if this is that protein helps regulate your blood sugar levels, and therefore your cravings, helping you lose weight (aside from all the other reasons previously mentioned.)

Except the average Dave's poster trying to tighten up that we're talking about here isn't likely going to be thinking in that much detail. He's going to have his normal diet and whack the protein shakes on top. Most likely a mix of sugary shite and pig waste protein blends... yummy!
ciccone_youth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
I just lost 30 lbs since feb. I also do it on the regular. Loosing weight, gaining muscle is easy... People that can't, haven't tried. Not to be mean. I believe anyone should try to loose that fat if they think it is an issue. But try to also be able to realize when you are not givin it your 100%. This is your life, your body. Don't go telling yourself you can never do it, for being too fat, too skinny if you haven't tried yet. Cheating on a routine is just that, cheating. Chips is cheating. Cheat during the days of your life that you want to be fat. Then you can't get mad at yourself. If you really need to cheat, make it one day a week. It's better to have it never though. Especially in the begining. Because it's so hard to stop. It makes life way easier on you and other if you just don't eat bad things.[/quote]

that little speech will make me stay away from cookies for a while Very Happy
crazy_arcade

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cut out a ton from my diet. Colas and sodas, high calorie drinks from starbucks, pizza, fast food, high sugar snacks like cookies etc. My problem has always been that when I endulge on my "free" day, I over endulge and then feel like shite.

Anyways, if you pay attention at the gym, a lot of people aren't going hard.
Doing one set and then taking a 10 minute breather and then doing one set isn't going to cut it.

I think you should decide which exercises and how many reps your are going to do before you start your workout. Then you should move between stations with only giving your body a short breather.

I've just started a new, schedule regime with 5 times in the morning and 3-4 times in the afternoon. Morning is cardio time--1 hour. 15 minutes jump rope, 25 minutes bike, 20 minutes running.

Afternoon is weights--alternating upper and lower body.
Grab the Chickens Levi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I just lost 30 lbs since feb. I also do it on the regular. Loosing weight, gaining muscle is easy... People that can't, haven't tried. Not to be mean. I believe anyone should try to loose that fat if they think it is an issue. But try to also be able to realize when you are not givin it your 100%. This is your life, your body. Don't go telling yourself you can never do it, for being too fat, too skinny if you haven't tried yet. Cheating on a routine is just that, cheating. Chips is cheating. Cheat during the days of your life that you want to be fat. Then you can't get mad at yourself. If you really need to cheat, make it one day a week. It's better to have it never though. Especially in the begining. Because it's so hard to stop. It makes life way easier on you and other if you just don't eat bad things.

That's over the top and will scare people off from losing wieght.

Relax folks.

3 sessions a week of a good full body compound weights workout with 30 minutes of cardio aftwerwards and allowing yourself your cookies and ice cream at weekends (hell a small serivng once a day wont kill ya) should do the job if you're really putting the intensity into it.

I started doing YOGA again two weeks ago, only 6 sessions in and I've gone down a notch on the belt buckle already...

Actually I've found Hatha yoga (I only do a beginners course) to be better for losing wieght than cardio in all honesty. A combination of the two will leave you fit as a fiddle and stress free and energised into the bargain, but seriously Yoga alone is enough and has a lot of extra benefits also. Yoga should really be touted in mags and fitness sites a lot more than it is as it really does tone you up, slim you down, leave you energised (rather than the burned out feeling working with weights and heavy cardio sessions can give you) flexible and really stress free, emotionally and physically balanced...

Anyway I could write paragraphs about the benefits but don't want to labour the point and bore y'all to death.
ds_fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok to whoever asked iv been on creatine fo about a week and noticed gain. iv taken it many times before though.

i take protein because i dont get enough in my diet, meat is too expensive here, i have toast for breakfast and a massive meal for lunch in school- the only meat would be tetra fish, then kimbap or a sandwhich for dinner. obviously its crammed with sugar etc and is fattening, though its good for building the muscles too, does more good than bad, so what if you shit the excess out- do you complain when you eat an ice cream saying its not going to good use and will soon be dribbling out of my ass, protein powder actually tastes nice

i might stick with that 3 times a week one and do 2 cardio workouts in between, no harm in trying
KirbyMagnus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab the Chickens Levi wrote:
Quote:

I just lost 30 lbs since feb. I also do it on the regular. Loosing weight, gaining muscle is easy... People that can't, haven't tried. Not to be mean. I believe anyone should try to loose that fat if they think it is an issue. But try to also be able to realize when you are not givin it your 100%. This is your life, your body. Don't go telling yourself you can never do it, for being too fat, too skinny if you haven't tried yet. Cheating on a routine is just that, cheating. Chips is cheating. Cheat during the days of your life that you want to be fat. Then you can't get mad at yourself. If you really need to cheat, make it one day a week. It's better to have it never though. Especially in the begining. Because it's so hard to stop. It makes life way easier on you and other if you just don't eat bad things.

Relax folks.

3 sessions a week of a good full body compound weights workout with 30 minutes of cardio aftwerwards and allowing yourself your cookies and ice cream at weekends (hell a small serivng once a day wont kill ya) should do the job if you're really putting the intensity into it.

I started doing YOGA again two weeks ago, only 6 sessions in and I've gone down a notch on the belt buckle already...

Actually I've found Hatha yoga (I only do a beginners course) to be better for losing wieght than cardio in all honesty. A combination of the two will leave you fit as a fiddle and stress free and energised into the bargain, but seriously Yoga alone is enough and has a lot of extra benefits also. Yoga should really be touted in mags and fitness sites a lot more than it is as it really does tone you up, slim you down, leave you energised (rather than the burned out feeling working with weights and heavy cardio sessions can give you) flexible and really stress free, emotionally and physically balanced...

Anyway I could write paragraphs about the benefits but don't want to labour the point and bore y'all to death.

Do you know any good websites where I can find some more information. I have an ashtanga yoga DVD and whilst I do feel some benefit many of the positions are just plain too hard. I am not very felxible and need to find something a lot more simple to start with.

Any ideas?
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab the Chickens Levi wrote:
Quote:

Relax folks.

where are you doing yoga? I know there are a bunch of places around but they all seem to cater to the adjuma crowd. I'd love to add some flexibility

I've lost about 4 kilos in the past month and have really tightened my gut by this simple routine. 4-5x/week, cardio for 35-45 min (usually treadmill at 7.5kph 2degree inclince), some upper body (the big muscles) and some lower, not much on the weights. top it off with 100 ab crunches and some reverse sit ups (my lower back cant seem to handle those too well). i would like to jog some more as the treadmill is sooooo boring

diet wise i have cut out the majority of sugared drinks, i may have a gatorade after my workout and one soda/day, i'm trying to cut back on the cookies but thats hard for me. my big problem is i dont eat seafood, the smell makes me sick.
Grab the Chickens Levi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirby Magus and Hakwan guy

I don't even go to classes. I use a dvd at home and thats part of the beauty of it. I don't need to spend extra time getting to a class and don't even have to go outdoors if I'm feeling tired.

Here is the one I do at home -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yoga-Absolute-Beginners-Susan-Fulton/dp/B00005RKRS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1214364980&sr=1-1

I bought it a Synarra Records in La Festa, Ilsan. If you don't have a
Synarra records near you, order it from amazon or find a Synarra or go into Kyobo and I'm sure they can order it for you.

I also have an Ashtanga Yoga dvd but this is nothing like that. This is Hatha yoga and is so easy to do even if you're not flexible and the crazy thing is is really does produce fitness benefits. Ashtanga does have more intensity and does shape you a lot more, but this still does the job. In fact I find Ashtanga difficult too, but I use the Hatha dvd for a few weeks and then I can do the Ashtanga no probs, but really I mostly use the Hatha dvd as it just makes me feel so good.

Read the reviews. Seriously two weeks after I first started it I changed so much. Not only did it give me a profound physical sense of balance and comfort (as well as evaporating my gut and toning me up) but the emotional effects are also pretty astounding.

I used to be a typical type A personailty, very reactive to stress and tension. A lot of my firends said they've noticed I've chilled out so much and it's true. I also had HARDOCRE INSOMNIA, seriosuly last June I counted a whole 30 days without sleep and looked and felt 90 yrs old.

This had been a problem for a few years but two bloody weeks after doing this dvd - the insomnia just went away. Just vanished!! After a session, man you have the best sleep, just like when you were a kid and you dream all night too, I have so many more dreams now than I used to, which is good for you.

I really cannot go on enough about the benefits of using this dvd. Though I think you need to do it 3 times a week (mon, wed, fri for example) to really notice physical changes.

Some people say to me yoga seems slow and boring and to be honest when I bought it I was looking for thai bo, somethig I could do at home as I was fed up of going to the gym. They didn't have thai bo, so I thought - f*ck it, I'll try yoga as I can do that at home.

After the second time I did it I knew it would be something I'll do for the rest of my life.

One big difference between yoga and weights and cardio is if you're feeling lethargic befor e workout - you feel worse after and we all know those sore muscle feelings and sore loewr backs the next day don't we...? Well if you're lethargic (or not) before you do yoga, after there;s no sore muscles and only a feeling of relaxation and energy. It's weird, if you're tired, it'll revitalise you and if you're stressed it'll chill you.

Ps - I'm not sure Korean yoga classes are a good idea if you're a beginner or newb, I've never been but from what I;ve read and checked out they seem to go full throttle ahead and have you trying to do really tough poses and postures before you're even close to ready.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 3 of 51

Jump to: