Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jyang486



Joined: 25 Nov 2011

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body recomp guru Lyle McDonald and the LeanGains founder Martin Berkhan both rec fasted training for stubborn fat loss.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/06/intermittent-fasting-and-stubborn-body.html?m=1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fermentation



Joined: 22 Jun 2009

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:

It's pretty simple. Digestion uses energy. If you aren't digesting anything, you've got more energy to spare for your workout. Think about how you feel tired after a large meal.


That's not we're talking about (at least I wasn't). I was talking about the concept that cardio on an empty stomach = more fat loss overall.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Captain Corea



Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure that the energy has to come from somewhere. If it's not the food in your system, then it's reserves of some sort.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KimchiNinja



Joined: 01 May 2012
Location: Gangnam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
So - where's the energy coming from that is fuelling the cardio?


Gotta say, that flies in the face of my experiences. I've seen this method used many times to dial guys in for shows.


I was basing my opinion on how it had been rationalized to me and what I remember from my undergraduate studies many, many years ago. I've heard many times that it's because the glycogen reserves are depleted and so the body switches to a different metabolic pathway because of it, but that's not quite right.

I looked it up a few minutes ago and some new research suggests it works. It's apparently because adrenaline levels are high and insulin levels are low after sleep, a ratio which allows for more fat to be oxidized during a workout.


You could just eat vegetables, which do not spike insulin, and which do not contain many carbs, in which case you'd be using slow-burning dietary fat, and stored fat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Captain Corea



Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got my foam roller - and I'm freaking loving it. My back feels like soooo much pressure has been released. Can't wait to really work in some trouble spots.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
12ax7



Joined: 07 Nov 2009

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
So - where's the energy coming from that is fuelling the cardio?


Gotta say, that flies in the face of my experiences. I've seen this method used many times to dial guys in for shows.


I was basing my opinion on how it had been rationalized to me and what I remember from my undergraduate studies many, many years ago. I've heard many times that it's because the glycogen reserves are depleted and so the body switches to a different metabolic pathway because of it, but that's not quite right.

I looked it up a few minutes ago and some new research suggests it works. It's apparently because adrenaline levels are high and insulin levels are low after sleep, a ratio which allows for more fat to be oxidized during a workout.


You could just eat vegetables, which do not spike insulin, and which do not contain many carbs, in which case you'd be using slow-burning dietary fat, and stored fat.


That's a very good idea, but I prefer working out late in the evening. The most I'll do in the morning is take a 20-30 minute walk around campus when I have time before class.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jyang486



Joined: 25 Nov 2011

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need some advice. Anyone know any quick slimming methods, for say if you had a few days until a bodybuilding contest? It's not anything like that for me, but if you knew some techniques, I'd really appreciate it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Captain Corea



Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyang486 wrote:
Need some advice. Anyone know any quick slimming methods, for say if you had a few days until a bodybuilding contest? It's not anything like that for me, but if you knew some techniques, I'd really appreciate it.


Cut portion sizes. Cut starchy carbs. Cut water and salt intake.

Do whatever cardio you are able - if you want to sweat more, line your clothes with plastic bags.

Use a suppository.

----------------

But only do this for an extremely short time, and have someone watching you for all of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jyang486



Joined: 25 Nov 2011

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Jyang486 wrote:
Need some advice. Anyone know any quick slimming methods, for say if you had a few days until a bodybuilding contest? It's not anything like that for me, but if you knew some techniques, I'd really appreciate it.


Cut portion sizes. Cut starchy carbs. Cut water and salt intake.

Do whatever cardio you are able - if you want to sweat more, line your clothes with plastic bags.

Use a suppository.

----------------

But only do this for an extremely short time, and have someone watching you for all of it.


Thanks! Couple questions. How long is a short time? I have to be as lean as possible by Sunday morning. Is it too soon to start this? Also, if I drink about a gallon or so of water a day, how much should I cut it down to? I can do the other things, but water is tough to cut down because I usually drink water to help suppress hunger cravings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Captain Corea



Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reduce to the point where you're just sipping 12-24 hours out.

I would not do this sort of things for longer than a week - but it depends on your typical level of health.

Good luck - and what's this for?


-----------------

Keep in mind, this has little to do with being "lean". This will not drop fat from ya. This will help to reduce the glut of water and food that's usually in your system.

Getting "lean" is a whole 'nother process.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jyang486



Joined: 25 Nov 2011

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Reduce to the point where you're just sipping 12-24 hours out.

I would not do this sort of things for longer than a week - but it depends on your typical level of health.

Good luck - and what's this for?


-----------------

Keep in mind, this has little to do with being "lean". This will not drop fat from ya. This will help to reduce the glut of water and food that's usually in your system.

Getting "lean" is a whole 'nother process.


This is going to sound stupid because it is. I have a 4 pack bet with a friend by Sunday, and a six pack bet by the end of the month. I had a flat stomach two weeks ago, and now flexed I have a solid 4 pack. I need it to show without me flexing, and I'm hoping if I slim down through temporary water loss I can get there. I've been taking yohimbine and caffeine pills for the past 2 weeks, so I cut that out today because I read it takes a full 3 days to rid my body of those supplements and continued use causes water retention. I'm eating a ton of veggies and fruits while drinking a lot of water throughout the day hoping for any help I can get for water loss. I'll follow the no salt, portion reduction, and thr no starchy carbs from now through the weekend, and do the sipping starting Saturday morning. Hope that'll do the trick. What are your thoughts on drinking a few glasses to a bottle of dry red wine the night before on an empty stomach? Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fermentation



Joined: 22 Jun 2009

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try cutting out fruits and grains and even legumes, and get your carbs solely from vegetables.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KimchiNinja



Joined: 01 May 2012
Location: Gangnam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ that's pretty good advice. Perhaps even no dairy too.

You can purge massive flab by just cutting out all this junk and eating raw colorful fresh vegis as your sole carb source.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Captain Corea



Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyang486 wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
Reduce to the point where you're just sipping 12-24 hours out.

I would not do this sort of things for longer than a week - but it depends on your typical level of health.

Good luck - and what's this for?


-----------------

Keep in mind, this has little to do with being "lean". This will not drop fat from ya. This will help to reduce the glut of water and food that's usually in your system.

Getting "lean" is a whole 'nother process.


This is going to sound stupid because it is. I have a 4 pack bet with a friend by Sunday, and a six pack bet by the end of the month. I had a flat stomach two weeks ago, and now flexed I have a solid 4 pack. I need it to show without me flexing, and I'm hoping if I slim down through temporary water loss I can get there. I've been taking yohimbine and caffeine pills for the past 2 weeks, so I cut that out today because I read it takes a full 3 days to rid my body of those supplements and continued use causes water retention. I'm eating a ton of veggies and fruits while drinking a lot of water throughout the day hoping for any help I can get for water loss. I'll follow the no salt, portion reduction, and thr no starchy carbs from now through the weekend, and do the sipping starting Saturday morning. Hope that'll do the trick. What are your thoughts on drinking a few glasses to a bottle of dry red wine the night before on an empty stomach? Thanks.


Yeah, I've seen ppl try the wine bit... again, sip it. It'll hit you much harder than you expect if you're calorie restricted like this.

You're only doing this for a few days, so it's not that big of a thing. But keep in mind that any sort of water manipulation like this for any length of time... isn't wise. Bodybuilders do tons of wonky stuff... but if they're going to die from anything, it's usually water related.

For long term goals... a month or more, these tricks will only help so much. Focusing on fat loss... and building those abs, will determine how easily you can bring that 6-pack out.

Have fun with this mini-comp - but IMO, you should be looking at a longer window... 4-6 months at least.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
12ax7



Joined: 07 Nov 2009

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:


You're only doing this for a few days, so it's not that big of a thing. But keep in mind that any sort of water manipulation like this for any length of time... isn't wise. Bodybuilders do tons of wonky stuff... but if they're going to die from anything, it's usually water related.



Yup, remember the pros and diuretics in the '90s? "Momo" Benaziza died in 1992 after his last show because of the massive doses of diuretics he had taken. And Paul Dillett had to be carried off-stage because he was so dehydrated his body froze.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 22 of 50

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International