Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jyang486

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Jyang486 wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
Reduce to the point where you're just sipping 12-24 hours out.

I would not do this sort of things for longer than a week - but it depends on your typical level of health.

Good luck - and what's this for?

-----------------

Keep in mind, this has little to do with being "lean". This will not drop fat from ya. This will help to reduce the glut of water and food that's usually in your system.

Getting "lean" is a whole 'nother process.

This is going to sound stupid because it is. I have a 4 pack bet with a friend by Sunday, and a six pack bet by the end of the month. I had a flat stomach two weeks ago, and now flexed I have a solid 4 pack. I need it to show without me flexing, and I'm hoping if I slim down through temporary water loss I can get there. I've been taking yohimbine and caffeine pills for the past 2 weeks, so I cut that out today because I read it takes a full 3 days to rid my body of those supplements and continued use causes water retention. I'm eating a ton of veggies and fruits while drinking a lot of water throughout the day hoping for any help I can get for water loss. I'll follow the no salt, portion reduction, and thr no starchy carbs from now through the weekend, and do the sipping starting Saturday morning. Hope that'll do the trick. What are your thoughts on drinking a few glasses to a bottle of dry red wine the night before on an empty stomach? Thanks.

Yeah, I've seen ppl try the wine bit... again, sip it. It'll hit you much harder than you expect if you're calorie restricted like this.

You're only doing this for a few days, so it's not that big of a thing. But keep in mind that any sort of water manipulation like this for any length of time... isn't wise. Bodybuilders do tons of wonky stuff... but if they're going to die from anything, it's usually water related.

For long term goals... a month or more, these tricks will only help so much. Focusing on fat loss... and building those abs, will determine how easily you can bring that 6-pack out.

Have fun with this mini-comp - but IMO, you should be looking at a longer window... 4-6 months at least.

Getting from a 4 pack to 6 pack is a 4 to 6 month process? Hmm, I'll never get there then lol. Thanks for all the tips. I know it's a long process, and I'm not gonna do this longer than after tomorrow morning.
fermentation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about that. Granted, I didn't record my ab progress or anything, but my memory of getting a six pack was more sudden. It was like, "Hey I'm getting more ripped" to "Damn, I got a six pack now" in matter of weeks.

This is just me, but lots of heavy and light cardio along with heavy lifting and ab work did it for me. That's just me though. Maybe it's genetics but I'm the most fit person in my entire family, although I work out the most. Just to give you an idea, I jog 7-8 km regularly and boxing training in the same day, and I end my boxing sessions with a conditioning circuit that's similar to HIIT. You can say boxing training in itself is kind of like HIIT with longer intervals and less intensity. Being a boxer, I do ab exercises a lot. I try to do at the very least 200 incline sit ups after my workouts but I do extra dragonflags and hanging raises when I can. I also do heavy compound lifts a couple times a week.

Try out the advice on the video as well. I can't tell how much a difference it's made but Elliot Hulse seems spot on most of what he says.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCbf2wqE4Gw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r81eSWFC-1Q
Ave, L�cifer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm a pretty skinny, tall guy (187cm, 70kg) who hasn't exercised much since my move to seoul from busan. ordered some protein powder from iherb and decided today i'm gonna join the gym (belated start on a new year's resolution)

if wise forummers could let me know what their thoughts are on some of the things that i eat regularly now or plan on eating regularly in the future are, that would be much appreciated. cost/preparation time and effort/taste/availability/protein content are pretty much my main factors, anyway this is what i'm eating/will be eating in abundance

bananas (cheapest fruit in korea by a mile)

oats (quaker instant variety)

blueberries (frozen)

boiled eggs from lotte super

peanut butter (the only variety sold at costco, skippy)

tofu (i fry 'em up in soy sauce and i read the firmer variety has higher protein content)

protein powder (dymatize, probably with skim milk)

chicken breasts (whole and canned)

almonds

bread (the closest thing paris baguette has to wholegrain)

rice (regular sticky white korean rice)

soy milk

baked beans/kidney beans
highstreet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ave, L�cifer wrote:
i'm a pretty skinny, tall guy (187cm, 70kg) who hasn't exercised much since my move to seoul from busan. ordered some protein powder from iherb and decided today i'm gonna join the gym (belated start on a new year's resolution)

if wise forummers could let me know what their thoughts are on some of the things that i eat regularly now or plan on eating regularly in the future are, that would be much appreciated. cost/preparation time and effort/taste/availability/protein content are pretty much my main factors, anyway this is what i'm eating/will be eating in abundance

bananas (cheapest fruit in korea by a mile)

oats (quaker instant variety)

blueberries (frozen)

boiled eggs from lotte super

peanut butter (the only variety sold at costco, skippy)

tofu (i fry 'em up in soy sauce and i read the firmer variety has higher protein content)

protein powder (dymatize, probably with skim milk)

chicken breasts (whole and canned)

almonds

bread (the closest thing paris baguette has to wholegrain)

rice (regular sticky white korean rice)

soy milk

baked beans/kidney beans

I'd cut out the white rice, peanut butter, and tofu. Unless you can get organic peanut butter.

I'd add sweet potatoes, brown rice, or any other complex carb you can find. Also any green, leafy veggies are good. Spinach, broccoli, green cabbage, etc. Fruit as well.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyang486 wrote:

Getting from a 4 pack to 6 pack is a 4 to 6 month process? Hmm, I'll never get there then lol. Thanks for all the tips. I know it's a long process, and I'm not gonna do this longer than after tomorrow morning.

Abs, just like any other muscle, have to do with a number of factors - genetics - training - fat %

Some people, no matter how tight they get, never seem to be able to bring out that lower set of abs. Others, they take a run, tear off their shirt, and instant 8-pack!

We know already - everyone is different. Even at my fattest, I always had at least a 4-pack - but I've got rather large abs.

My point was - that instead of a weekend of tricks, look over the span of a few months and really look at what it takes to get lean.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOu guys are pretty quiet of late.

Anything new in your gym-ventures?

I squatted 3 plates a side for the first time since being back. Not sure if I want to try for a heavy squat... but just thought I'd like to pick it up and see how it feels - felt heavier than i remember. lol
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

I squatted 3 plates a side for the first time since being back. Not sure if I want to try for a heavy squat... but just thought I'd like to pick it up and see how it feels - felt heavier than i remember. lol

I probably could do two or three plates on each side, but I'm not going to touch the squats just yet. I go snowboarding regularly and it can be brutal. The last spill I took in the halfpipe left me with a backache for a week.

Besides that, I haven't gained any weight over the last few weeks since I started lifting again, but I'm getting stronger and my body fat % is obviously going down since I have a six pack again.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost 10lb of fat this year and it's mid Jan (no joke), strict nutrition, no drinking, and daily cardio.

Going to start lifting heavy stuff again when I get back to Seoul, I'd like to now add 10lb of lean muscle by the end of the year. Adding the muscle is going to be more work than losing the fat I imagine, the fat was a breeze.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
I lost 10lb of fat this year and it's mid Jan (no joke), strict nutrition, no drinking, and daily cardio.

Going to start lifting heavy stuff again when I get back to Seoul, I'd like to now add 10lb of lean muscle by the end of the year. Adding the muscle is going to be more work than losing the fat I imagine, the fat was a breeze.

Nice! But question, how are you sure it was 10 lbs of fat and not a combo of fat/muscle/water weight? 3 weeks into the year, means you lost an average of 3.3lbs of body fat a week, which is insane IMO. How many cals are you consuming per day and how many cals are you expending?
Jyang486

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

Goin through my usual gym routine ADD thing. Started doing reverse pyramids ala LeanGains, of course with my own tweaks. I'm hopefully goin to finish a month of this routine to see how it goes. Finished one week and it felt good.

Monday/Thursday
Squat - warmup to heavy set, then 4 reps of the heavy set, 6 reps at -10%, 8 reps at -20%.
Calf raises - warmup to my 10 rep max weight, then 8 reps of my 10 rep max weight, 10 reps at -10%, 12 reps at -20%
Flat bench - warmup to heavy set, then 4 reps of the heavy set, 6 reps at -10%, 8 reps at -20%.
Incline bench - warmup to my 10 rep max weight, then 8 reps of my 10 rep max weight, 10 reps at -10%, 12 reps at -20%
Tricep pull downs - warmup to my 10 rep max weight, then 8 reps of my 10 rep max weight, 10 reps at -10%, 12 reps at -20%

Tuesday/Friday
Deadlifts - warmup to heavy set, then 4 reps of the heavy set, 6 reps at -10%, 8 reps at -20%.
Overhead press - warmup to heavy set, then 4 reps of the heavy set, 6 reps at -10%, 8 reps at -20%.
Military press - warmup to my 10 rep max weight, then 8 reps of my 10 rep max weight, 10 reps at -10%, 12 reps at -20%
Pendlay rows - warmup to heavy set, then 4 reps of the heavy set, 6 reps at -10%, 8 reps at -20%.
Kroc row - warmup to my 10 rep max weight, then 8 reps of my 10 rep max weight, 10 reps at -10%, 12 reps at -20%
Pull-ups - 3 sets of max reps per set

Wednesday/Saturday
Fasted cardio - Stubborn Fat Protocol 1.0 = 10 minutes intervals, 30 minutes of steady state cardio.

Sunday - Off

What do you guys think?

Also, I'll be moving up to Seoul in February, so I'll need to find a gym. I'll be living in the Mokdong area, so I was wondering if any of you guys knew a good newer cheap gym (50k a month) that'll serve my needs (good combo of free weights and machines) without me going too far. Thanks.
MetaFitX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

I've been trying a slightly modified version of the training that Mike O'Hearn uses. Chest, back and legs day he always starts off with bench, deads and squats but very low reps (less than 3) and high sets (6-Cool. Then on to hypertrophy and accessory exercises.

I've always started my exercises with compounds but usually 5-6 reps on bench, deads and squats. This is more of a powerlifter/bodybuilder combo. I've been finding myself REALLY looking forward to back and legs day (although I still DREAD legs day).
fermentation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a little pissed off at the gym lately. Went yesterday to find that some lunatic hid the plates under a sofa. I spent 10 minutes trying to find them. I also found it amusing how the some of the dumbbells just disappeared. I'm going to have to issue a complaint soon.

At least there is nobody this obnoxious at my gym.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aveSfNPPJNQ#!
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyang.. interesting workout. I see no dedicated arm exercises... I presume that's intentional? Also, I'm impressed you're able to hit those (close to max) numbers twice a week. I've started doing semi-heavy squats... and even at once a week, that's barely enough time for me to recover.

Fer, that's one messed up gym - it has a sofa?? lol

MetaFitX wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

I've been trying a slightly modified version of the training that Mike O'Hearn uses. Chest, back and legs day he always starts off with bench, deads and squats but very low reps (less than 3) and high sets (6-Cool. Then on to hypertrophy and accessory exercises.

I've always started my exercises with compounds but usually 5-6 reps on bench, deads and squats. This is more of a powerlifter/bodybuilder combo. I've been finding myself REALLY looking forward to back and legs day (although I still DREAD legs day).

This is how I train when I'm feeling at my best - a combination of both powerlifting and BBing. I'd start off with a big, heavy lift... working on a PR of some sort, then finish off with "finishing" or "detailing" exercises.

Don't like doing that without a good training partner - prefer to have a spotter on those big lifts - both for encouragement, and safety. As it stands, the only guys able to spot me in my gym are the PTs - but they are usually busy with clients.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just threw in my daughter's PB&J sandwich she didn't finish from breakfast into my shake. Do you figure that makes me strange? lol

What's the oddest thing you've thrown in the blender?
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Jyang.. interesting workout. I see no dedicated arm exercises... I presume that's intentional? Also, I'm impressed you're able to hit those (close to max) numbers twice a week. I've started doing semi-heavy squats... and even at once a week, that's barely enough time for me to recover.

Fer, that's one messed up gym - it has a sofa?? lol

MetaFitX wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

This is how I train when I'm feeling at my best - a combination of both powerlifting and BBing. I'd start off with a big, heavy lift... working on a PR of some sort, then finish off with "finishing" or "detailing" exercises.

Don't like doing that without a good training partner - prefer to have a spotter on those big lifts - both for encouragement, and safety. As it stands, the only guys able to spot me in my gym are the PTs - but they are usually busy with clients.

The trainers at my gym are useless. Pitchmen, that's all. All they do is their little walk-around with people who are thinking about getting a membership. Spotting? I've never seen them offer it to anyone, nor would I trust that they know how to do it. The only reason I'm going there is because it saves me the time and the gas of driving across town to my old gym, where the owner is an experienced trainer who'd not only spot me on heavy lifts but would also sit on the machines for added weight when the stack wasn't enough for me. Luckily for me, I just made friends with other guy who lifts heavy (he's trying to qualify for the upcoming Mr. Korea, if I understand correctly). I'll be asking him to spot when I start needing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 23 of 51

Jump to: