Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
highstreet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop looking for cheap gyms with loads of equipment.
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:

Barbells and a power rack is loads of equipment?
silkhighway

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree fermentation. The last gym I trained at was a poverty gym compared to the one I'm at now. It was a non-profit community gym in a not-so-wealthy community with low membership fees.

But they have a space with a squat rack, power rack, barbells and padding on the floor, and they have a small but dedicated community who uses it. They also allow chalk and have personal trainers who actually squat and deadlift themselves.

Gyms with all these flashy machines and no space for real weight training are the McDonalds of the fitness world, all glitz no substance.

Don't get me started on the "circuit trainers".
highstreet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
highstreet wrote:

I've just never seen in Korea, a decent gym with lots of power lifting equipment that was "cheap."
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
Well, tonight a guy was using the one barbell to do deadlifts but he was taking longer because he was mixing in other workouts like a circuit, which is kind of stupid if you're doing deadlifts. This kind of stuff irritates me because its a small gym with limited equipment and running a circuit means you hog the equipment longer. If you're gonna do deads, just freaking do deads.

I need to find a cheap gym that doesn't mess around with machines or other silly concoctions and just has barbells and squats racks and power racks. Surely they are around somewhere.

Or get enough money to buy my own power rack.

Here's an idea: ask him if you can use it, and then add a few plates until you've got your max weight. One set should be enough. He will be too embarrassed to take the plates off and you'll have the bar to yourself.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
fermentation wrote:
highstreet wrote:

I've just never seen in Korea, a decent gym with lots of power lifting equipment that was "cheap."

I went to one in Anyang that was ok - owner was an old powerlifter. It was decently cheap too - under 50k a month.

But that was years ago - and hard to find gyms like that.
fermentation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
fermentation wrote:
highstreet wrote:

All you really need for powerlifting is a power rack and a barbell and plates. But I haven't seen a decent gym with this stuff either. Hence, I wish there was one or need to get my own.

Quote:
I went to one in Anyang that was ok - owner was an old powerlifter. It was decently cheap too - under 50k a month.

But that was years ago - and hard to find gyms like that.

There has to be someone who's into weight lifting that has a gym like that. I wish I could set up my own place like that and charge real cheap for people to use it just so it isn't wasted when I'm not using it.

Quote:
Here's an idea: ask him if you can use it, and then add a few plates until you've got your max weight. One set should be enough. He will be too embarrassed to take the plates off and you'll have the bar to yourself.

I thought about it but since i didn't want to go through the hassle of racking and deracking every set. I wanted to do at least 8 sets and I lift 70 kgs more than the other guy did.

Quote:
Gyms with all these flashy machines and no space for real weight training are the McDonalds of the fitness world, all glitz no substance.

Unfortunately, that's almost every commercial gym in Korea. Like with boxing gyms, the best weight rooms tend to be the ones that are rundown and have that smell of hardwork in the air.

My boxing gym has weights but the problem is that they are too run down.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm of a different mind. Sure, I love my free weights - and wish my gym had much more of it. But I'm also a fan of machines - everything from Hammer Strength, to wide racked cables. I love assisted chin machines, and pec decks.

For me, I want a gym with it all.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
I guess I'm of a different mind. Sure, I love my free weights - and wish my gym had much more of it. But I'm also a fan of machines - everything from Hammer Strength, to wide racked cables. I love assisted chin machines, and pec decks.

I don't begrudge that, it's just poor prioritization! A space for free weights should come first and then specialized equipment.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

Same here. Although I'm sticking with the basic mass building exercises for now, I'll be hitting the machines once I've regained about 10lbs (I'm up 7lbs from about 4 weeks ago). I normally hate doing the same routine over and over, so I enjoy having the option of switching it up with machines.

My problem with the machines is that some of the newer ones (the ones with a pivot arm instead of cables) have a strange geometry, especially the ones for training the back.

In any case, my favorite exercise is by far the triceps pulldown. That's why I wouldn't dream of going to a gym without at least a basic cable machine.

PS. About the bodybuilder I was going to ask to spot me at my gym...Turns out he used to be my student many years ago. So, that's pretty cool.

Last edited by 12ax7 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
highstreet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermantation: if you live near Sinchon, I can tell you where a bunch of gyms are with power/squat racks.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
fermantation: if you live near Sinchon, I can tell you where a bunch of gyms are with power/squat racks.

Do you know how much do they run for daily rates? I'm in a process of nomading for about a month, so I can't commit to a monthly rate.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, fairly often in the gym someone mentioned this guy, Sean Lee, to me. Never really thought much about him, but the other day I stumbled across an article on him. One part made me a little curious..

Quote:
Confident and motivated after the military service, Lee decided to try out for Musclemania bodybuilding contest in Canada upon going back to the country to finish college in 2004.

�The eight-week hardcore preparing process was really tough. Following a strict meal plan was particularly hard because I was interning at a hotel at the time,� he said. He majored in hotel management in college.

The hard work paid off. Lee became the first-ever Korean winner of the contest.

Hmmm... the guy didn't look like much of a giant
http://res.heraldm.com/content/image/2010/06/07/20100607002135_0.jpg

But, who knows. So I googled MuscleMania 2004 results - link, and unless his name used to be Larry, he wasn't the winner.

I did find this video of him, but it's all sorts of odd.

Don't know the guy, and don't care all that much - but he wouldn't be the first to "pump up" his resume when moving to another country - just odd in this internet age.

What do you think, am I missing something?
12ax7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC, check your PMs. I sent you something.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, for the record - he got back to me and was pretty decent in his reply. He said he won the Novice class that year.

Not exactly a "first Korean bodybuilding champion in Canada", but at least he competed. /shrug. Would doubt it if the media took it and wrote it their own way. Meh, who knows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 25 of 51

Jump to: