Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to exercising - I'm chilling in Manila right now, and really enjoying it. I forgot how great swimming feels on the whole body - even those pesky joints.
fermentation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
fermantation: if you live near Sinchon, I can tell you where a bunch of gyms are with power/squat racks.

Yeah sure. Unless they're as cheap as the gym I'm going to, I probably won't join but I'd like some references either way. Maybe I'll check them out or just drop in for more serious workout sessions.

Captain Corea wrote:
So, fairly often in the gym someone mentioned this guy, Sean Lee, to me. Never really thought much about him, but the other day I stumbled across an article on him. One part made me a little curious..

Quote:
Confident and motivated after the military service, Lee decided to try out for Musclemania bodybuilding contest in Canada upon going back to the country to finish college in 2004.

�The eight-week hardcore preparing process was really tough. Following a strict meal plan was particularly hard because I was interning at a hotel at the time,� he said. He majored in hotel management in college.

The hard work paid off. Lee became the first-ever Korean winner of the contest.

Hmmm... the guy didn't look like much of a giant
http://res.heraldm.com/content/image/2010/06/07/20100607002135_0.jpg

But, who knows. So I googled MuscleMania 2004 results - link, and unless his name used to be Larry, he wasn't the winner.

I did find this video of him, but it's all sorts of odd.

Don't know the guy, and don't care all that much - but he wouldn't be the first to "pump up" his resume when moving to another country - just odd in this internet age.

What do you think, am I missing something?

I saw him on TV a few times and he has a line of food products that are shit.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Jyang486 wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
No idea of their monthly - but their daily drop-in is 10,000.

I dig the place, and plan to join there in a month or so.

Is it just a gym, or a gym/sauna combo? Because 10k for a drop in is pretty pricey. How much is the monthly for an average gym in Seoul? I've been paying roughly 50k a month at the gyms I went to.

My gym has a 15,000 won drop in fee.

Both gyms run at least 1 million for the year - 600k per 6 months, and around 150k per month - if you only do one month.

There are cheaper gyms around, to be sure. But I've yet to find that sweet combo of cheap / great equipment / convenient.

If ya do choose to drop in there once or twice, pm me. Maybe we can head there together.

Hey, I just stopped by MF today and they raised their drop in fee to 20k per visit starting in February. Why Seoul gotta be like this lol. Guess I have to just pick a gym and join.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I dropped in there the other day and found that too - frak! It's 15,000 if ya drop in with a member - but still sucks.

A high drop in fee, I'm guessing, is to discourage them (?)

I'm still planning on jointing there in the next month- it's a nice place.

I'm in Manila right now (Makati). Checked out the drop in for Golds - 1000ps per day ($25), or 3000 per week.

Man, is there ever a divide between that Haves and HaveNots here.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab a massage while you're there, I had great masseuses outside of Manila, for like $10USD, crazy talented. That and beaches, excellent.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. I've had a few already - and dig them. My favorite place closed down though, so I've been shopping around Makati for a new one.

Enjoying swimming for my bit if cardio each day.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I've been meaning to hit Makati. The expats I ran into over there said "it's like you aren't even in the Phillipines", I guess meaning there aren't random goats wanding the streets and people pooping on the sidewalk. Very Happy
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even better is Bonifacio Global City. It's like a slice of Anerica there - in a good way. Great playgrounds, people jogging all over, dogs playing in the parks.

So far though, the gyms haven't impressed me much. But I'm on vacation, so I only care so much. So long as I can do some basics, I'm all good.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably better than the hotel gym I saw in China last year; a flimsy stationary bike from the 1920s, didn't even function, just propped up in the corner gathering dust so they could say on the website they had a gym. Totally hilarious.
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finally getting back to my old self. Did barbell shoulder shrugs with 5 plates on each end yesterday, double what I could do two weeks ago. I wonder if the BCAA I started taking pre-workout (in addition to my other supplements) may have something to do with it.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty heavy lift, man.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

I used my leather straps, though. My forearms aren't strong enough yet to grip that much weight without, even with a one hand over/one hand under grip.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

I used my leather straps, though. My forearms aren't strong enough yet to grip that much weight without, even with a one hand over/one hand under grip.

So you bring up something I'm kind of wondering about. You heavy lifters out there, what's your opinion on using assistance equipment? Chalk? Straps? Gloves? Belts? Shoes? suits? What do you particularly use and what's your limit?

I've been trying to go raw as possible. I use chalk (even though my gym doesn't allow it, nobody has said anything to me..yet), and I wear flat-soled shoes. Honestly, I would lift in bare feet if I wasn't in a public gym. However, I feel like I kind of peaked on my squat now, so I'm considering getting a belt for my working sets. The other quirky piece of equipment I have is I wanted a weight set smaller than 2x2.5lbs, so I made my own 2x1.25lb set out of chain link and spring clips.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a repost from a different thread in case it is of any interest:

Peter Attia: An athlete who like a lot of Americans was working out like crazy, carbo loading, getting improved performance, yet getting fat! Converted himself to burning fat instead of carbs to great effect. I've been seeing the same results in the gym, although this guy gets a bit carried away with sampling his own blood and doing crazy self-experiments. Confused

http://youtu.be/hB7aGnfLB-8
12ax7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silkhighway wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

So you bring up something I'm kind of wondering about. You heavy lifters out there, what's your opinion on using assistance equipment? Chalk? Straps? Gloves? Belts? Shoes? suits? What do you particularly use and what's your limit?

Whatever you feel helps you lift heavier.

I haven't used chalk in 20 years. Too messy.

Whenever I buy gloves, I end up ditching them after a few months. Now I've got a pair of gloves with wrist support, which I tighten for certain exercises. It's nice having that feature...but I think I'm gonna start leaving them at home. Sure, I don't get calluses with gloves, but I always come to the same conclusion: they make it harder to grip the larger bars and I don't have as much of a feel for how the weight moves as I'm doing my reps, which I think negatively affects how heavy I can lift.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 26 of 51

Jump to: