Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silkhighway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
GF wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
GF wrote:
Rising from the bottom of the squat, I favour my right leg for about 6 inches, then it equalizes. What should I do to correct this?

When you say weak, what is it doing? Is one side/knee pitching in?

The left side is pitching in and trembling slightly, just as I rise from parallel. I automatically shift to the right to compensate, then it goes back to normal. I can't seem to control it. Should I back off the weight?

Reduce the weight and find out at what point does it start to happen. As well, you can consider doing some one-legged exercises... especially on the weak leg (providing pain is not an issue).

I'd suggest lunges or Romanian squats.

Which leg is usually the weak leg? The one that pitches inwards? I'm having this trouble too. I tried resetting weight and going back up but the problem hasn't gone away. I think I'm going to do light squats (say 60% of my max) and then do split squats with dumbbells after that really focusing on the weak leg.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, man. Consider some isolation work - one sided. In addition to the above - maybe a good one-legged press could help.

Imagine if you had one arm that was weaker, what would you do? Fat too often we think of our legs as a single unit - that's a mistake. You can have a dominant one.. or an injured one.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Man, I'm having a great time at my new gym. The weights are awesome, but so are the people! Massive guys - and fit girls... and all friendly. At my old gym, I'd get a fair amount of stares from the trainers and such (took them a long time to warm up to me), but this new place, I walk in and everyone is patting me on the back.

Nice. Unfortunately the "water is not fresh" at my gym, as the Koreans say.

Plus last week some wacky adjuma asked me if I would give her private English lessons. Sad Grrr I'm not an English teacher dammit! At least they don't stare at me, much...
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY someone in my gym lifted something greater than a pair of 15kg plates!!! Shocked

Today in a grand moment of awesomeness the biggest dude in the gym squated 308lb with good form, all the way down, for a number of sets. Granted he cheated by using the Smith Machine...but regardless it was nice to see someone lifting more than 110lb. [thumbs up]

Of course right next door was a guy deadlifting an empty bar...and that wasn't his warm-up set, that was it.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find it inspirational to see bigger/stronger guys in the gym around me - seeing people lift seriously helps me keep my eyes on the prize, so to speak.

Not sure if anyone is at all interested, but here's a thread about my 6 month "transformation". Nothing stunning, but a push in the right direction.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive 25lb mass-up, looks like mostly muscle. I need to do more buffets. Wink
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Impressive 25lb mass-up, looks like mostly muscle. I need to do more buffets. Wink

Those BMI machines in the gym tell me I've actually lost a few pounds of fat, and gained nearly 30lbs of muscle... but I'm taking that with a grain of salt. I don't really trust those machines all that much... but it was still cool to compare the print outs. Laughing Embarassed
highstreet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do y'all have spinning classes at your gym? Are spinning classes in Korea conducted differently than in the West? My gym just started them and the instructor likes to "dance" and "fist pump" during the climbs. I was hyped for the classes but it got too weird for me.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
the instructor likes to "dance" and "fist pump" during the climbs.

LOL, Koreans get a bit crazy. Bali Bali!
fermentation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, but what are people's cardio workouts like? We've been talking about weightlifting mostly. I've completely took out weightlifting from my training although I still do pullups and pushups. I'm only focusing on cardiovascular conditioning via running. Trying to do 10km runs at least 4 times a week and doing shorter runs along with short distance sprinting in intervals. Hill sprints are awesome but man do they really tire you out.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cardio consists of walking to the gym from the bus stop. lol

I'm 99.9kgs right now, and cardio would just delay the inevitable.

mauahahahaha
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just say no to cardio (and this is coming from a lifelong runner). I view it as mostly pointless these days. But I may do a few sprints at the park when the weather gets nice, for kicks.

StrongLifts 5x5 is officially hard now. Near max on all lifts. Microweights are a life saver. Going up a pair of 1kg plates feels easy at first, but by set 4 it gets challenging. Been eating tons and sleeping a lot just to keep up with the next session.

Also squats 3x per week is like some kind of medieval torture. Shocked
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

March 2013 status report: gym machine says I'm up 10lbs of muscle year-to-date.

Deadlift increased the most this month up 45%, followed by squats.
GF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I backed off squat weight a tiny bit, isolated the left leg for a couple weeks, and worked hard on form, and the wobbling problem has been solved. Thanks for the advice, Daves esl.

In other news, deadlifting may be the best part of my week.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF wrote:
I backed off squat weight a tiny bit, isolated the left leg for a couple weeks, and worked hard on form, and the wobbling problem has been solved. Thanks for the advice, Daves esl.

In other news, deadlifting may be the best part of my week.

Good to hear, I've been slacking off the gym the last couple weeks due to a busy schedule, only getting there 1-2 times a week rather than a solid 3, but I want to get back into a regular routine. I've done zero cardio too, I hardly even go for walks anymore.

Anyways, I just started at a new gym and so far I'm very impressed. It's a small "meathead" gym, very plain, and only basic equipment. Perfect. It's cheaper than my old gym, has a way better free weight section, and I also get a locker and towel service. Plus it's close to my workplace. Great news for me, I'm really excited about this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 33 of 51

Jump to: