Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GF

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
GF wrote:
I backed off squat weight a tiny bit, isolated the left leg for a couple weeks, and worked hard on form, and the wobbling problem has been solved. Thanks for the advice, Daves esl.

In other news, deadlifting may be the best part of my week.

That's awesome to hear, man. Good to know that it's getting better.

Thanks CC.

From what little I've seen, there's a real camaraderie between weight lifters. That doesn't exist to the same extent in other sports. I wonder why that is.

You do see adolescent 'haters' on a forum like bodybuilding.com, but you also see a lot of support.

It's good to see a strong man lifting a heavy weight. The simple things in life, eh?
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
There are guys twice my size lifting a fraction of what I lift...

Yep that's the case here too, maybe it's a Korean thing. My K-friends say it's not cool to be big, they want to be "skinny jeans guys". Month after month the guys at my gym lift the same thing over and over never going up in weight, bench/squat a pair of 15kg plates max, curl a few small dumbbells, walk slowly on the treadmill, done. Maybe they are worried about getting muscle?
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
fermentation wrote:

Yep that's the case here too, maybe it's a Korean thing. My K-friends say it's not cool to be big, they want to be "skinny jeans guys". Month after month the guys at my gym lift the same thing over and over never going up in weight, bench/squat a pair of 15kg plates max, curl a few small dumbbells, walk slowly on the treadmill, done. Maybe they are worried about getting muscle?

Your friends need a dose of reality. When I stopped working out after a long illness, my wife told me "Go to the gym, you're way too skinny", so I did and regained 15lbs. Now, her friends often compliment me on how good I look. So, based on that I'd say it's safe to conclude that most Korean women (or at least the ones I know) like seeing guys with an athletic build. The androgynous teen boy band member look only appeals to little girls.
fermentation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't make sense. Why would one lift weights in the first place if you don't want muscle? Also lifting heavy doesn't make you bigger anyway.
highstreet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
That' interesting. usually Wacky Form Guy is not all that big... might wear all the current gear, but is almost always lacking in size - perhaps your guy's form isn't all that wacky? lol

Well I've only ever seen him do bicep curls. Dude basically swings his whole body. But he's doing ccurls maybe 4-5 times a week so dunno
highstreet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
fermentation wrote:

Well what's popular is dictated by celebs. And most celebs in Korea are fit but not big.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
That' interesting. usually Wacky Form Guy is not all that big... might wear all the current gear, but is almost always lacking in size - perhaps your guy's form isn't all that wacky? lol

Well I've only ever seen him do bicep curls. Dude basically swings his whole body. But he's doing ccurls maybe 4-5 times a week so dunno

hmmmm... I've been known to cheat a fair bit on barbell curls as well. Embarassed
catman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came across this interesting article on stretching before your workouts:

Quote:
Those toe-touches and deep knee bends may be weakening your workout, two new studies show.

Static stretching � the act of stretching muscles to the point of tension while the body is at rest � has long been a staple of warm-up routines, from pro athletes� playing fields to school gymnasiums, but recent research has discovered that warm-ups involving static stretching may actually impair an athlete�s performance.

A study published in this month�s Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research concluded that static stretching performed before weight-lifting made athletes feel weaker. Researchers suggest that static stretching before physical activity may alter or impair the neurological function in active musculature.

Research published in the Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports featured similar findings. The authors of the study examined articles published over a 44-year period to determine the effect static stretching has on athletes� strength, power and explosive muscle performance while they�re engaged in their sport. It was discovered that static stretching before exercise has a negative impact on athletic performance regardless of the subject�s age, gender or fitness level.

Both studies recommend static stretching be avoided before physical activity. Because static stretching is performed when the body is at rest and because it places emphasis on flexibility rather than preparing the body for physical activity, static stretching is best performed as a cool-down after an athlete�s workout.

A much more effective method of warming up is dynamic stretching. Dynamic stretching mimics the body�s movements during physical activity with running, jumping, kicking and pumping motions, and primes muscle groups that will be accessed during a full-on workout. In warming up the specific muscles that will be used during a workout, and in ways and directions and speeds that the muscles would actually be used during sport, dynamic stretching prepares the body for peak performance and helps to reduce injuries.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that before.. and am of a mixed mind on it. The science makes sense - especially for power athletes. But I also know my body... for example, I have very tight hams. So tight, they affect my hips and lower back. I cannot train legs without warming up and stretching them out - I'll either have no ROM, or I'll hurt myself.

Also, when they talk about static stretching in those studies... check out what they use as examples. If I recall, it was holding a stretch for 30 or so seconds... not really how I stretch anyways.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
That doesn't make sense. Why would one lift weights in the first place if you don't want muscle?

Exactly.

For kicks, I just interviewed my K-woman on this fascinating topic:

Me: do Korean guys want to have big muscles?
Her: no
Me: then why are they at the gym lifting weights?
Her: i dunno
Me: uhh okay...
Her: maybe they just want thin-guy look, like "6-pack guy"

Confusing. Maybe they are afraid of heavy weights because they think they will explode like Lou Ferigno and have to buy non-skinny-guy jeans? Oh the horror!
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
When I stopped working out after a long illness, my wife told me "Go to the gym, you're way too skinny"...

Mine tells me "stop lifting weights, you are going to become muscle-man-guy".

...as if doing some barbell strength training is suddenly going to turn a person into some bulky hulk. Muscle-phobia?
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't usually comment in such a vein but yes, my experiences in the past gave me the impression that Korean women do not like guys with large muscles, and instead prefer fit, lean, and athletic. It's of course generalizing a fair bit, as 12ax7 has attested, but it does strike me as a thing.

Captain Corea wrote:
Also have The Old General - pretty thick old chap - and that's saying a fair bit 'cuz at my current gym, there are a lot of muscled old dudes.

Haven't had one of those in a while. First gym I went to here had one, he never talked or anything, would do a set on the bench press, circle the gym once, then do another set. And he would just keep doing that for like an hour.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think women in most nations I've been to would prefer a lean, muscular guy. Look at the top sex symbols - bodybuilders are not up there.

Lucky for me, I've never lifted to get chicks... and I'm old now, so that's pretty much off the table.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say I'm pretty lean and athletic looking and I lift as heavy as I can. Ok, I'm no Abercrombie model cut-out, but my point is that I think you can maintain a lean physique and still lift heavy if you're not consuming a huge amount of calories.
fermentation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a clear cut fact that eating more will make you bigger, not lifting heavy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 35 of 51

Jump to: