Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 45, 46, 47  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't lift like him, but I enjoy his videos and philosophy a lot.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 15th mid-month report; getting hella lean on buffalo tenderloin, eggs, kale, spinach, and 8x8 sets.

Goal -- 12% body fat by end of June.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where you getting buffalo tenderloin in Korea??

My June goal - 240lbs.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

My June goal - 240lbs.

Yes, I'd like to know where he gets buffalo, too.

240lbs? Cool. 190ish is my genetic max since I'm on the shorter end of the scale.

In any case, almost doubled my squat over the course of 3 leg workouts using whey protein and pre-workout formula (Labrada Super Charge). My weight, however, has come down a bit since I haven't increased the amount of food I'm consuming as a result of my more intensive workouts (and the fat burning properties of the caffeine in the formula).
Titus

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoneyMike wrote:

I'm feelin a bit better with my squats now, but my deads still don't feel right.
I'm gonna cut the weight by 30% at the gym today, maybe I went up too fast and that's causing my form to break down.

I'm not doing them very often, just one set of 5 at the heaviest I can manage, every second workout.

That you're doing one set at max is likely the issue here. I know that this violates a conerstone of bro-science, but you *can* do more reps at much much lower weight and get excellent gains.

For example, I had your issue when I started. I kept increasing and increasing at the expense of form. I woke up one morning with intense pain in my lower back. I switched to German Volume Training and dropped the weight to a thoroughly candyass 120lbs. I'd do 10 sets of ten reps. This has been my sole Sunday morning exercise for about a year (increasing the weight when possible). I also do volume training with squats. I have seen an incredible increase in size in my thighs and calves.

So try it, yeah? Drop the weight way down and do 10x10 at a weight where your form is easy to manage. Measure your thighs on the first of every month.

To nag, you really shouldn't be doing max weight if you're unsure of form. That's very risky, esp with deads.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/04/120430105358.htm
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/luis13.htm
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

My June goal - 240lbs.

Holy jezus.

In the states right now, Whole Foods had some for $35/lb, absolutely the best steaks I've had. Bite into it and it's like an instant shot of testosterone. Going to suck coming back to KR meat...
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:

240lbs? Cool. 190ish is my genetic max since I'm on the shorter end of the scale.

yeah, I'm 6', so to be honest, 225 (right now) is not making me look all that massive. I'm hoping that around 240-250 my proportions will be more in line with my goals.

Been having some great training sessions of late. really feel in a good groove. Nothing major being pushed or anything, just got my head and body in a good place.
catman

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STOP using heavy Dumbbells

I am a little guilty of this. I was going way too heavy on the bench shoulder flies and kind of messed up my right shoulder. Slowly getting better now.

I used to lift a lot when I was younger but took almost a decade off. (of serious weightlifting). I started lifting regularly again last summer. I think I may have jumped into the heavy weights too quickly. But I was impatient. I also should have cut a bit more fat before starting.

This summer I'm focusing more on cardio in order to lose some weight. If I burn a bit of muscle so be it. I'll start over again in the fall.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I like his videos, but I pick and choose what's applicable to me (he'd back me up on this, I'm sure).

Heavy dumbbells? It's all relative. I do 100s for chest, pick them by myself, kick it up by myself, do my reps, and sit back up with them (notice, no dropping them on the floor) - all without a spotter. My pressing power to picking power seems to be equal in that regard - plus, I have years of picking up dumbbells to develop a lower resistance technique. Wink

Good to hear you're back at it though, catman - any summertime goals?
catman

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Meh, I like his videos, but I pick and choose what's applicable to me (he'd back me up on this, I'm sure).

Heavy dumbbells? It's all relative. I do 100s for chest, pick them by myself, kick it up by myself, do my reps, and sit back up with them (notice, no dropping them on the floor) - all without a spotter. My pressing power to picking power seems to be equal in that regard - plus, I have years of picking up dumbbells to develop a lower resistance technique. Wink

I think this is really aimed at beginners anyway.

Quote:

Good to hear you're back at it though, catman - any summertime goals?

Nothing really specific. Just to lose some fat in the lovehandles and improve my overall cardio. Summer is the best time to do it as running outside is much more enjoyable than a gym treadmill in the Winter.

I'm still going to lift at least three times a week. But no protein shakes!
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes get the impression that ppl think taking "protein shakes" is taking things to another level. A few posters have made special note of them on here.

This seems a tad odd to me. I just view them as an extension of my diet. If I want to consume X amount of protein in a day, I'll try to do so with solids, but if not, I fill it in with liquids. It's just food to me.

Do you guys view it as anything more?
12ax7

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
I sometimes get the impression that ppl think taking "protein shakes" is taking things to another level. A few posters have made special note of them on here.

This seems a tad odd to me. I just view them as an extension of my diet. If I want to consume X amount of protein in a day, I'll try to do so with solids, but if not, I fill it in with liquids. It's just food to me.

Do you guys view it as anything more?

Not "taking things to the another level" at all. I try to limit the amount of meat that I eat, so for me it's an important part of my diet.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started ordering from Monsterzym.us

Not a bad site. Decent prices. Between that and iHerb, I can find most everything I want - except for Cell-Tech! Bah!
HapKi

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good article on Yahoo...What to drink pre and post workout
A little caffeine? No problem...done and done.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/best-worst-drinks-workout-152100389.html
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
I've started ordering from Monsterzym.us

Not a bad site. Decent prices. Between that and iHerb, I can find most everything I want - except for Cell-Tech! Bah!

I had a look at the ingredients in Cell-Tech and the recipe looks pretty simple to me. Just make your own mix with some pure creatine, carbohydrates, and BCAA powders. Sure, you won't have your favorite flavour, but you've said before that your pretty creative with the blender.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 38 of 47

Jump to: