Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue is hooking the cord and flinging my iphone. I try to keep my arms moving during cardio, and I've snagged that cord a few times and sent my phone flying. Just dumb luck that I haven't busted it.
JFP2020

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, first time commenting here, but I thought maybe some people could chime in with some advice on getting past a plateau.

For the past 6 weeks or more, I have been stuck at the same weight on the bench press. What is worse is that is not a very big number to begin with. I currently can't get past 7 or so reps with 62.25 KG, and I myself weight about 63 KG. It is very frustrating.

I have tried numerous different triceps exercises, including push downs and most recently skull crushers, to see if something new can shake things up and get me past my plateau, but to no avail. I have also dropped the weight back 5 KG or so and done more reps on various occasions. I workout on a four-day split as follows: biceps, back on Monday; triceps and chest on Tuesday; rest on Wednesday; legs Thursday; and shoulders Friday. Weekends off.

My diet is not perfect, but it is pretty decent, with the week consisting strictly of brown rice, chicken, broccoli, almonds and protein shakes. At the weekend I am a lot more relaxed because, frankly, I need to have something tasty to look forward to after a long week and I like a drink.

I have wondered am I eating enough, but I am already 15 percent body fat and really don't want to go much above that. I am currently eating about 2,100-2,200 calories a day, which doesn't sound like a lot, but I am only 5' 6 and was cutting on 1,900. And, once again, I really don't want to get chubby. When I read about 3,000-plus calorie diets, it just seems very excessive. My protein is 140 grams-approx a day.

Finally, I have been lifting for over 2 years but didn't have a clue what I was doing at the start, so perhaps 18 months have been productive. I am mostly self-taught so I am sure form could improve, but I don't think it is terrible either.

Any thoughts so I don't lose my mind and give up altogether?
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFP2020 wrote:
I have wondered am I eating enough, but I am already 15 percent body fat and really don't want to go much above that. I am currently eating about 2,100-2,200 calories a day...

Same here.

The classic advice is "eat more", and it works. Hell yeah, if I goto 4000 calories a day with lots of carbs I can absolutely move the next higher weight, however I'll gain fat, and it won't be easy for me to lose it either! Not interested in going over 18% BF.

Thus I've resigned myself to slow progression. Hit the same weight multiple sessions until I can do 6x6, and do it with very short rest periods. Then I level-up and can usually hit 5x5 with with long rest periods. Hammer away until I can do it fast 6x6 again...it works for me, just slow.

Maybe there's a magic answer, dunno
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post here, JFP2020! Lots of info in there.

So, you're stuck at a near bodyweight bench, and want to break past it? You've already focused on building your triceps, and you're cautious about touching your diet.

Ok, two things left

1. Technique/Form. While the bench press looks pretty straight forward, there are a number of different ways to approach it. I find my biggest numbers right now come from bringing the bar down mid-to-high chest. I've got good triceps, so that works well for me. A traditional power lifting press though will bring the bar down around the nipple area... plus have a big arch in your back.

2. Shock. Shock the muscle. I'f I'm stuck at a plateau, I try to find some way over it. Forced reps. Negatives. Partials. There are lots of different ways to skin that cat.

The issue may be in your diet. It may be in your arms or shoulders. But if you're saying all those parts are decent, consider the two directions above.

Hope it gives ya food for thought.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFP2020 wrote:
Hi guys, first time commenting here, but I thought maybe some people could chime in with some advice on getting past a plateau.

For the past 6 weeks or more, I have been stuck at the same weight on the bench press. What is worse is that is not a very big number to begin with. I currently can't get past 7 or so reps with 62.25 KG, and I myself weight about 63 KG. It is very frustrating.

I have tried numerous different triceps exercises, including push downs and most recently skull crushers, to see if something new can shake things up and get me past my plateau, but to no avail. I have also dropped the weight back 5 KG or so and done more reps on various occasions. I workout on a four-day split as follows: biceps, back on Monday; triceps and chest on Tuesday; rest on Wednesday; legs Thursday; and shoulders Friday. Weekends off.

My diet is not perfect, but it is pretty decent, with the week consisting strictly of brown rice, chicken, broccoli, almonds and protein shakes. At the weekend I am a lot more relaxed because, frankly, I need to have something tasty to look forward to after a long week and I like a drink.

I have wondered am I eating enough, but I am already 15 percent body fat and really don't want to go much above that. I am currently eating about 2,100-2,200 calories a day, which doesn't sound like a lot, but I am only 5' 6 and was cutting on 1,900. And, once again, I really don't want to get chubby. When I read about 3,000-plus calorie diets, it just seems very excessive. My protein is 140 grams-approx a day.

Finally, I have been lifting for over 2 years but didn't have a clue what I was doing at the start, so perhaps 18 months have been productive. I am mostly self-taught so I am sure form could improve, but I don't think it is terrible either.

Any thoughts so I don't lose my mind and give up altogether?

Well there are several ways of getting past a plateau. Been lifting for more than 20 years myself, so I've experienced a few myself.

The first and more common is eat more. However you've said that is not an option as you don't want to gain fat. So let's look at your diet. You're eating pretty 'clean' and kudos to you..but here's the thing. If you always eat 'clean' you will eventually find (as you have now) that it is hard to gain strength/weight for one of two reasons (1) because you aren't taking in enough calories. (2) Because you aren't getting enough essential vitamins and minerals from your limited diet. This can make a HUGE impact on your lifting.

Secondly examine your routine. You are only hitting each bodypart once a week. While that may be enough for the pros, keep in mind that they are big, strong men with fantastic genetics and a boatload of chemical assistance. If you have neither then you might want to consider a upper/lower split where you hit each bodypart twice a week. Or torso/limbs split.
Could you give us your current routine (sets, reps, exercises)? That would be helpful info.

One more thing. How much rest and sleep are you getting? Apart from your gym routine, are you fairly active on a daily basis? How many hours (on average) do you sleep a night? Do you engage in any 'active recovery' or not?
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try working out your antagonistic muscles as well. For example, do some pullups or bent over rows. Also what is your lifting scheme like? Do you do 62.25kg and keep trying to grind out as many reps as you can? If so you could try mixing in sessions where you do less reps with heavier weights or more reps with lighter weight.
JFP2020

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated.

Here is my exact routine. Reps in the 7-plus range.

Mon: 3 sets weighted pull ups; 3 sets dead lifts; 3 sets pull downs; 3 sets seated row; 3 sets preacher curls.

Tue: 3 sets Smithson machine bench; 3 sets incline flies; 3 sets push downs (tried skull crushers the other day. Had stayed away because they aggravate my wrists), 3 sets push ups.

Wed: rest

Thur: 3 sets smith machine squats; 3 sets leg extensions; 3 sets reverse (name?) leg extensions; leg press.

Fri: 3 sets Smithson machine military press; 3 sets lateral raise; 3 sets bent over lateral raise; 3 sets front raise (not sure about the name, but basically raising a plate in front of your chest); 3 sets shrugs.

Weekend: rest.

TheUrbanMyth, Do you think I should just bite the bullet, then, and up calories by a few hundred? Like I said, I am not particularly lean and really don't want to get fat.

Regards routine, I actually was doing the same exercises, more or less, but repeating either chest and tris, or back and bis, each week until about 2 months ago. In other words, one week chest would be done twice, the next back and so on. I decided to try once a week to see if I would get better results.

Sleep might be a factor. During the week, I am more in 6-7 hour range than 8. That said, I haven't felt like I need 8 hours in quite some time. Also, I work a busy week and with Korean study and so on, there never seems to be enough time in the day. I know all the fitness sites say 8 hours, though. And I do feel tired a lot, but then again I never have been sparky in the mornings.

Like so many today, I am not that active outside the gym, sitting at a desk all day as I do.

Captain Corea, I have tried to employ the "shock" mentality but nothing seems to have worked yet. But I suppose there is infinite room for experimentation.

It just feels like hitting a wall at such a low level should not be likely. Even accounting for the bravado and dubious info that comes with lifting weights and the Internet, and my size, I should surely be able to get past my own weight.

Kimchi Ninja,

I haven't specially tried 6X6. You mean six sets, right? I could try that. I have always thought more than 4 is excessive.

Thanks again! Keep the thoughts coming!
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um.. just to be clear - are we talking a free weight bench, or smith? Because your routine states a smith bench.
JFP2020

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith. No spotter!
optik404

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you using the smith machine for every compound exercise? You don't need a spotter.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. There are a lot of people who hate smith machines - but I'm not one of them. However, they have their place... and the cornerstone of a workout is not it.

They are extremely restrictive in form and ROM. And do nothing for stabilizer muscles.

So lets say that form is an issue with your bench - you could never get a natural ROM/arch to your bench if you're only doing it on a smith.

IMO, smith machines are best left for second or third in the workout.
optik404

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the smith for slow negatives flat bench. That's about it. I tried squatting once on a smith, felt like my feet were going to slip out from under me. You don't need a spotter. Just do the roll of shame with bench, squats, just let it fall off your back or set up the catches on the power rack if your gym has one.
JFP2020

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, maybe I will go down a bit in weight and try free bar on Tuesday.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFP2020 wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated.

Here is my exact routine. Reps in the 7-plus range.

Mon: 3 sets weighted pull ups; 3 sets dead lifts; 3 sets pull downs; 3 sets seated row; 3 sets preacher curls.

Tue: 3 sets Smithson machine bench; 3 sets incline flies; 3 sets push downs (tried skull crushers the other day. Had stayed away because they aggravate my wrists), 3 sets push ups.

Wed: rest

Thur: 3 sets smith machine squats; 3 sets leg extensions; 3 sets reverse (name?) leg extensions; leg press.

Fri: 3 sets Smithson machine military press; 3 sets lateral raise; 3 sets bent over lateral raise; 3 sets front raise (not sure about the name, but basically raising a plate in front of your chest); 3 sets shrugs.

Weekend: rest.

TheUrbanMyth, Do you think I should just bite the bullet, then, and up calories by a few hundred? Like I said, I am not particularly lean and really don't want to get fat.

Regards routine, I actually was doing the same exercises, more or less, but repeating either chest and tris, or back and bis, each week until about 2 months ago. In other words, one week chest would be done twice, the next back and so on. I decided to try once a week to see if I would get better results.

Sleep might be a factor. During the week, I am more in 6-7 hour range than 8. That said, I haven't felt like I need 8 hours in quite some time. Also, I work a busy week and with Korean study and so on, there never seems to be enough time in the day. I know all the fitness sites say 8 hours, though. And I do feel tired a lot, but then again I never have been sparky in the mornings.

Like so many today, I am not that active outside the gym, sitting at a desk all day as I do.

As regards your routine I think you are doing a bit too much work for shoulders...which could be a reason you are stagnating on bench.

When you work back or chest you are ALSO working shoulders. So they are being used in the four back exercises and in the chest exercises. Plus they have their own day. That's three times a week.

I also agree with the other posters about the Smith machine. Free weights force you to not only lift but balance the weight thus training the stabilizer muscles. Of course with free weights you will have to lower the weights for a while until your muscles get used to balancing and lifting.

In your case I'd try a torso/limbs split. Chest and back twice a week (say Monday and Thursday) and legs and arms also twice a week (say Tuesday and Friday). Wednesdays and weekends (as you have now) would be for rest. You could throw in some shoulder work on the chest/back days, but only a few sets. I'd drop the flyes...they aren't mass/strength builders and add in 3-4 sets of dips or decline bench presses in their place.

As for eating. 3, 500 calories equate 1 pound. I don't think that adding a couple hundred calories to your daily diet is going to make much difference in your overall bodyfat levels. The thing is strength and size often come with an accompanying size in bodyweight. It is very difficult to lose fat while simultaneously gaining muscle..unless your diet is exactly on.
At least (if I were you) I'd look into consuming a decent multi-mineral/multi-vitamin in order to supplement any deficiencies you might have in those areas.

And yes sleep. One can not really gauge the amount of rest one needs by the level of one's tiredness. 8 hours though is more a rule of thumb than a hard and fast regulation. However you should try for as much as possible per day. Not too many people complain of sleeping too much
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
My issue is hooking the cord and flinging my iphone. I try to keep my arms moving during cardio, and I've snagged that cord a few times and sent my phone flying. Just dumb luck that I haven't busted it.

I had that same problem with a Walkman (back in the day). I finally arranged it so the cord from the deck to headphones ran up my back and not across my front. Just clipped it to the back of my belt...a hip pocket worked as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 45 of 51

Jump to: