Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JFP2020

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's a disappointing possibility, but so long I keep going up in weight all will be gravy. Let's hope so.ㅜㅜ

Regarding doctors, Koreans measure obesity differently because of the East Asian body type: http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20130722000650

I have gotten some pretty questionable results from medicals too.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
That might be part of it -- I always do mine the same every time. Friday morning, fasted, preworkout, no water. So even if it is off and my BF is 19% instead of 15%, it is "consistently off" every time, showing me the week to week change.

Doctors are worthless all over the world. That guy can't seem to comprehend a ton of muscle is not obesity, probably looking at BMI.

My guy told me to "eat less meat" (in other words eat more carbs to lose fat??). Instead I ate nothing but meat and no carbs with old school barbell moves. Muscle went up, fat went down, all blood numbers improved, and all he could say was "but your HDL is actually too high!". Because no Korean has 92 HDL, cause they can't afford the meat and don't lift. Wink

They've just got an arbitrary range written down for everything, and rigidly stick to that without actually using their brains.

hahaha

Yeah, I was sort of tempted to whip of my robe and show him how obese I was.... decided not to.

I used to do like you though - take a reading at the same time of day. But like I said, one time I tried it 3 times in a row... just to check it. I was kind of blown away by the difference. Maybe it was an anomaly.... but here's my question - why does it always ask for your height and age? If those "electrical currents" were so accurate, it'd be able to bounce around in your body and directly determine how much fat is there. lol
Jyang486

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just gauge through what you see. all those things are pretty inaccurate. if you like what you see, or like what you are seeing, then keep up what you've been doing. if you don't, tweak so that you do.

And just from what I've seen, Korea does have an obesity problem. most of the korean guys and girls i knew who weren't gym rats were skinny fat, or just fat.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFP2020 wrote:
Well that's a disappointing possibility, but so long I keep going up in weight all will be gravy. Let's hope so.ㅜㅜ

Regarding doctors, Koreans measure obesity differently because of the East Asian body type: http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20130722000650

I have gotten some pretty questionable results from medicals too.

Yep same here.

Most here use the BMI to determine obesity which is absolute garbage when it comes to a dedicated gym rat/lifter with a number of productive years behind him/her.

I personally regard the mirror as a better tool for that as opposed to the scale.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gym competition -- Koreans getting jealous?? Confused

Monday morning bench press. The guy on the bench right next to me works his way up to exactly my weight and then keeps doing sets until I quit. As soon as I quit, he quits. Hmmm.

Then I move to curls and there is a second incident -- this ultra-scrawny guy grabs my old bench. It becomes clear he has no intention of decreasing the weight, he's just going to come in cold, and try to bench it!! Flat out not possible given his build. I'm acting like I don't notice, but seriously concerned because he's going to end up in the emergency room, so I delay my next set of curls and pretend to play with my iphone.

Amazingly this guy actually gets it off the rack Shocked but keeps his elbows almost locked, doing like 30% range of motion. If he would have unlocked those elbows a bit more it would have collaped into him, snap. Once I knew he wasn't going to kill himself went back to my curls...
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that a lot in smaller gyms. Both with weights, and on the tread mill. lol

My gym though - ppl are cool. Never had anybody do anything like that there.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever train "on base"?

I've been working out there a bit recently and enjoying it. Lots of nice folk... and spacious!!
El Bandito

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

I've been working out there a bit recently and enjoying it. Lots of nice folk... and spacious!!

How you been gettin' on deah, Cap'n?
I once had me a chance to do some MMA with a "contractor" but we's drank too late the before night.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Bandito wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

How you been gettin' on deah, Cap'n?
I once had me a chance to do some MMA with a "contractor" but we's drank too late the before night.

Training a friend. Works out good for both of us - it's closer to my home than my normal gym, so might just train there for the winter. Very Happy
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kakao group is still going strong. Lot's of guys just shooting the *&^^.

Send a PM if ya want in.
Ck10n3

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img834/8316/udxq.png[/img]

The Kakao group lives on!

Hello my fitness brothers and sisters. I'm joining a Men's Health Competition in Korea, my current stomping grounds, to be on the cover of an issue. It's based on votes. I'd really appreciate any support I can get! The more the merrier!

Just a background... I've lived in Korea for 4 years. The whole while I've really worked on my physique and trained 5 times a week or so. Training has become an integral part of my life, and helped keep some sanity during the hard times of living here for so long. Anyways, I can post my BodySpace account if anyone is interested from my journey from 62.5 --> 75kg at 6%

I hope my transformation can inspire others who are either looking to diet up or down to know that they can achieve the physique they are aiming for. I am very close to my goals, and really love pushing forward for the day I reach Super Saiyan...

To help, if you could just find my transformation picture and hit like

http://tinyurl.com/voteforheslin

As of now I am WINNING thanks to the support of all my expat friends and also friends from back home who are still showing love!

[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img834/7060/v772.png[/img]

Cheers
Titus

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
JFP2020 wrote:
I have wondered am I eating enough, but I am already 15 percent body fat and really don't want to go much above that. I am currently eating about 2,100-2,200 calories a day...

Same here.

The classic advice is "eat more", and it works. Hell yeah, if I goto 4000 calories a day with lots of carbs I can absolutely move the next higher weight, however I'll gain fat, and it won't be easy for me to lose it either! Not interested in going over 18% BF.

Thus I've resigned myself to slow progression. Hit the same weight multiple sessions until I can do 6x6, and do it with very short rest periods. Then I level-up and can usually hit 5x5 with with long rest periods. Hammer away until I can do it fast 6x6 again...it works for me, just slow.

Maybe there's a magic answer, dunno

Eat more.

Also, look for smaller gains. I track down to the rep every session. Get that one extra rep out. Add a 2.5 plate. The above is right too. Shorter rest, one extra rep, small additions of weight.

When I hit a bench plateau I worked around it. I worked on the overhead press and dips. I'm confident that adding weighted dips really helped.
wanderkind

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

I've forgotten what that word means in a gym context at this point. My local is so tiny and the ground so littered with dumbbells and bars I'm making greater gains in agility than anything else. It's like a ladder run to get anywhere.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha

Isn't that the Spartan race? Or is that Crossfit?? Wink
chrisinkorea2011

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been thinking about trying crossfit out.

Anyone here doing that? Also I am a "no supplement, no added usage of powders, shakes, etc" kind of guy so im continuing to put muscle on but its much more in hopes of leaning me out and not be a walking brick shite house.

I actually need to maintain a speed build for Muay thai and jiujutsu, so anyone thoughts on whether cross fit is good for that? Or just in general on crossfit

appreciate it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 47 of 51

Jump to: