Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jyang486

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
What do you guys think about branch-chain-amino-acids? Right now I'm clean diet, lots of protein, 1g x2 vitamin C, 1 multivitamin, rice protein powder. Everything seems good except the energy half way thru the workout...hopefully that will improve as the body gets used to the new drill.

If you get enough protein in your diet, BCAAs might not be worth it or cost effective. With that said, I'm still a sucker for the stuff and take an extra 10 to 15 grams of BCAAs peri workout or during basketball practice, but don't take them on nonworkout days. I'm a little retarded when it comes to supps tbh. The marketing always gets me good. I spend way too much.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my annual medical report back yesterday. It had one of those BMI test sheets attached to it. I don't put too much stock in them, but I suppose they can be used to compare to each other.

In 3 months I have
-gained 5 kgs
-lost 3.5% BF

But... like I said, I don't trust those results all that much. It was cool to read though. lol

As for BCAAs, I take 'em too... can't say I notice anything related to 'em though.
highstreet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take BCAA if I work out on a empty stomach.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly... any of you guys that are taking 'em - do you see/feel any effect? What are you taking them for? (no judgement here, honestly asking).
highstreet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Honestly... any of you guys that are taking 'em - do you see/feel any effect? What are you taking them for? (no judgement here, honestly asking).

The guy on leangains recommended it for IF training. No idea if they do anything. In theory, it makes sense.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Just got my annual medical report back yesterday. It had one of those BMI test sheets attached to it. I don't put too much stock in them, but I suppose they can be used to compare to each other.

In 3 months I have
-gained 5 kgs
-lost 3.5% BF

But... like I said, I don't trust those results all that much. It was cool to read though. lol

I'm doing this next week. It's fun to compare them year over year, very comprehensive reports. Certain it's going to be (+) lots of muscle (-) fat and about weight neutral.

The �biological age� vs actual age report is also interesting.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppose this can go in here.

Saw a Black Friday special on Bodybuilding.com for Monster Milk Protein 3 2lb tubs for under $60. Pretty decent deal, so I ordered 'em up.

Holy frak are they ever awful! Tastes like shockingly bad medicine. So, I tried to return them... only to find out it'd cost me $50 to ship 'em back.

/sigh

Then, I had a really nice conversation with the customer service rep... and they ended up crediting me the whole amount. Too cool.

I still can't stomach this stuff... so going to give it to some guys at my gym. Maybe they'll like it. But at least I can order something decent.

woohooo
highstreet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone do reverse pyramid training?
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As in - warm up... then quickly head up to your max/very low rep range?

Yeah, I do that for certain lifts - bench sometimes. I just see it as one way in which to shock the muscles.
catman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is harder on the lower back? Leg presses or Squats?
silkhighway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catman wrote:

Completely opinion here, but I would say squats because it's the more difficult of the two exercises and harder not to round your back if you have tight hip flexors.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

The guy on leangains recommended it for IF training. No idea if they do anything. In theory, it makes sense.

Okay I tried some BCAA in my Pocari Sweat at the gym this morning. I imagine drinking ones own urine tastes worse, maybe. Can't verify that, of course. Noticed no energy increase. Perhaps I'll do a one week trial before tossing the stuff in the trash, maybe...hard to want to go back for more.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catman wrote:

Personally, I'd say squats.

Both movements obviously have you pushing with your legs. Depending on style choice, the depth on both can get to a point where your butt and heels meet - so in that way they are equal.

Squats, however bring other things into play - spinal compression, with the bar on your shoulder - balancing muscles - possibility of 'pitching' in one direction or another ---- most of that isn't an issue on the leg press.

Now, for many people, those are actually the advantages to squats - they build up your core stability if done right. But for myself, with a very active herniated disk, I am always pretty careful about how I choose my exercises.

Personally, for my back, I prefer hack squat variations. But that being said, I do squat still, just not very heavy.

KimchiNinja wrote:
highstreet wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

Okay I tried some BCAA in my Pocari Sweat at the gym this morning. I imagine drinking ones own urine tastes worse, maybe. Can't verify that, of course. Noticed no energy increase. Perhaps I'll do a one week trial before tossing the stuff in the trash, maybe...hard to want to go back for more.

If you're looking for a workout energy boost, try SuperPump Max or Animal Pump - I enjoy both.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I've been thinking of trying those, checking iHerb. Personally I like to go all natural, but until I kick myself into top shape need the boost.
fermentation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catman wrote:

Obviously, squats (particularly back squats) put more stress on the back since there is no weight on your back when doing leg presses.

But if your lower back is giving you problems, do front squats. You won't be able to lift as heavy but it's easier to maintain posture. I'd say it's a good way to improve posture. Also strengthen your back via deadlifts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 16 of 51

Jump to: