Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has Anyone used Geovisions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoitonii_Sanchez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Has Anyone used Geovisions? Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
This is my first post on the forum, please be kind to me! Smile

I was wondering if anyone here has used or heard of geovisions' Paid Teaching in South Korea program . It's $1,599 not including the cost of the TESOL course which can be taken online through them or on my own before I leave.

This is what's included

• A job matching service to find you a paid teaching position before you travel
  • 120-hour online TESOL/TEFL course (if you choose the TESOL/TEFL option)
  • Starting salary of at least $20,000 (USD) per year
  • One week online Korean language and culture orientation
  • Airport pickup may be included (depending on individual school)
  • Accommodation
  • Flight costs
  • End of contract bonus
  • Medical insurance (depending on school)
  • Paid holiday time during teaching placement
  • Full background check on school
  • Contract negotiation
  • Visa advice and support
  • Access to online teaching resource throughout your placement
  • 24-hour support

I understand that with Geovisions I am basically paying for the extra help with getting a job and the visa process as well as in country support. This will be my first time out of the country and I am definitely willing to pay for such services. I just wanted to know if anyone has had experience with companies like these and if so are there some that are better, or worse, than Geovisions?
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be one of the biggest rip-offs I've ever seen!
Hoitonii_Sanchez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ginormousaurus
Why do you think so?
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone used Geovisions? Reply with quote

This is what's included

• A job matching service to find you a paid teaching position before you travel Recruiters are already paid by the school to do this. You don't need to pay them too.
  • 120-hour online TESOL/TEFL course (if you choose the TESOL/TEFL option) Not included in the fee.
  • Starting salary of at least $20,000 (USD) per year This is supposed to be a selling point? What are they doing for you?
  • One week online Korean language and culture orientation Not needed at all, but can be done for free online.
  • Airport pickup may be included (depending on individual school) May or may not be provided; depends on the school. That's a pretty expensive pick-up.
  • Accommodation Provided by the school.
  • Flight costs Provided by the school.
  • End of contract bonus Provided by the school by law.
  • Medical insurance (depending on school) Provided by the school.
  • Paid holiday time during teaching placement Ha! Provided by the school.
  • Full background check on school This could be helpful if you can trust the info they give you.
  • Contract negotiation You want to pay for this?
  • Visa advice and support Internet
  • Access to online teaching resource throughout your placement Internet
  • 24-hour support This could be helpful if they actually come through for you when (if) you need them.

I really don't see what services you'd be paying for other than the 24-hour support (which may or may not be helpful) and the access to online teaching resources (which may or may not be helpful).

It looks like a serious rip-off. I know moving to a new country for the first time can seem a little overwhelming, and having someone to help you out can ease some of the stress. But they are listing as part of their services many things that are standard and have nothing to do with them at all (eg. accomodations, flight costs, holiday time, insurance, etc.).

They are looking to take advantage of nervous newbies.
raewon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a quick look at their website.

Below are a few things that confused me.

Quote:
MINIMUM LENGTH:$1,599
MAXIMUM LENGTH:$1,599

Top:
Quote:
Will Schools Hire Teachers That Are Age 40 Or Older?

Most schools in Korea place the upper age limit for visiting teachers at 45, but there may be a subtle age bias towards younger teachers. However, if you are active, vibrant, energetic and a creative educator wholoves being around young people, you will be able to secure a job.

Below:
Quote:
Must be between 21 and 45.

Quote:
This is a paid position with an annual salary of US$21,000-$27,000 based on a 30 hours per week (6 hours/week).

Quote:
It is not rare to receive a $2,000 end of contract bonus.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone used Geovisions? Reply with quote

Ginormousaurus wrote:
This is what's included

• A job matching service to find you a paid teaching position before you travel Recruiters are already paid by the school to do this. You don't need to pay them too.
  • 120-hour online TESOL/TEFL course (if you choose the TESOL/TEFL option) Not included in the fee.
  • Starting salary of at least $20,000 (USD) per year This is supposed to be a selling point? What are they doing for you?
  • One week online Korean language and culture orientation Not needed at all, but can be done for free online.
  • Airport pickup may be included (depending on individual school) May or may not be provided; depends on the school. That's a pretty expensive pick-up.
  • Accommodation Provided by the school.
  • Flight costs Provided by the school.
  • End of contract bonus Provided by the school by law.
  • Medical insurance (depending on school) Provided by the school.
  • Paid holiday time during teaching placement Ha! Provided by the school.
  • Full background check on school This could be helpful if you can trust the info they give you.
  • Contract negotiation You want to pay for this?
  • Visa advice and support Internet
  • Access to online teaching resource throughout your placement Internet
  • 24-hour support This could be helpful if they actually come through for you when (if) you need them.

I really don't see what services you'd be paying for other than the 24-hour support (which may or may not be helpful) and the access to online teaching resources (which may or may not be helpful).

It looks like a serious rip-off. I know moving to a new country for the first time can seem a little overwhelming, and having someone to help you out can ease some of the stress. But they are listing as part of their services many things that are standard and have nothing to do with them at all (eg. accomodations, flight costs, holiday time, insurance, etc.).

They are looking to take advantage of nervous newbies.

Exactly. Huge ripoff.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to applaud Geovisions for its hucksterism. And I wish I could sell cars all the live long day to the OP and his ilk.

[*]Advanced Safety Restraints (seat belts)
[*]Free Spare Parts Included (spare tire)
[*]Multimedia-Capable (radio)
[*]Automotive Literary Materials Included (owner's manual)
[*]Vehicle Identity tracked by our office (VIN number)
[*]Automatic Controls Available
[*]Continuous Updates on your vehicles status and condition (odometer, tachometer, etc.)
Old Painless

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most schools in Korea place the upper age limit for visiting teachers at 45, but there may be a subtle age bias towards younger teachers. However, if you are active, vibrant, energetic and a creative educator wholoves being around young people, you will be able to secure a job..

Hahahahahahaha! Very Happy
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be fair, its a pretty ingenious idea from recruiter get paid twice for doing one job

wonder how many people have fallen for it
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

website is down =/
ghostrider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a teacher posted a very negative review about their service on May 08, 2013. Then three very glowing reviews just happened to appear within the next ten days.

"I am teaching in South Korea now, and the constant check-ups I receive from Jodi at GeoVisions makes me feel like she is genuinely looking out for me."

"They also have a party for their teachers every few months."

"Whenever I feet down I re-read an email that my agent sent me before coming to South Korea, which explained that living and working in a quaint town is more rewarding than living in a cosmopolitian city like Seoul and that the challenges I have faced with only make my experience more meaningful and memorable."
http://www.ratemystudyabroad.com/geovisions-4443/teach-in-south-korea-paid-14553

So are three teachers very happy about paying the recruiter fee or are those reviews are fake?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: