Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mandatory Government Medical

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the frog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Mandatory Government Medical Reply with quote

Has anyone ever heard of the mandatory medical exams requested from the government? My hagwon told me that I, along with two other staff members, have to go and get a medical. That the government does random medical exams on business employees. I have been here for a couple of years and have never heard of this. Does anybody know what the exam involves?
Derrek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gosh, I took that test... terrible!

First it starts with a weird breathing test. Normal, I suppose.

Then they had me lay down, and inserted a tube up my nose, and pulled it out of my mouth with a soft plastic hook. They then put a thermometer in my other nostril, and checked the temperature changes as they changed temperatures of water running though the tube. Some kind of nasal cavity test -- I didn't understand.

Next, I had to run on a treadmill and blow into a tube every 30 seconds. This lasted about 5 minutes.

After that, they do the "turn your head and cough" thing, which was so embarrasing for me because the nurses were recent college graduates, and obviously interested in seeing what was different about the miguk. The old ajosshi doctor didn't wear any rubber gloves, which was sort of gross.

The next test I couldn't believe. It was preceeded by a "colon cleansing" which takes about 15 minutes. They snake a tube in your rear, and in goes an enema solution they pump in and out. Nothing like laying on your side and feeling warm water dribble down your backside and pooling on the table you're trying to act normal. All the while, a young nurse is mopping up the mess. Then, they insert a rectal camera and fumble around in there for another 5 minutes while a doctor and 3 nurses watch your inner-intestines on the TV.

Then, the doctor says, please stand up and "elongate yourself." So I stand up really tall. Only, he says, "Anyo...umm... elongate..." as he looks down. A nurse starts to giggle. I'm thinking, "What the heck does he mean? I'm standing up?!"

The doctor looks at the nurses, and all the girls start to giggle. He rolls his eyes in the air in disgust, and says, "Ok, we do later."

This is when I got very uncomfortable, because one of the nurses pulls out a checklist and the doctor starts asking me a bunch of "communicable disease" questions. Many of which involved my past sex history. Very embarrasing to discuss in front of a crowd. I started to get upset, and asked for the nurses to leave. The doctor said, "NO!" We had an argument, which eventually ended up in me knocking him to the ground. Then he gets up, and one of the nurses kicks me in the nuts, and I drop. Then the two other nurses scream for help, and a security guy rushes in and starts pulling on my leg -- kind of like I'm pulling yours now....
anae

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one my first job in Jeonju. They had me take a urine test and a chest x-ray. Never had one after that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: