Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Benzodiazepines - Medical drug test
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChilgokBlackHole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xanadu123 wrote:
My employer says if I fail the drug test due to any drugs there is a second and more expensive screening, even though I have a prescription for the benzodiazepines.

That's going to be the same 5, 7, or 10-panel that's used back home, not TBPE. Costs $50 there for a single dip 10-panel, I can't imagine what is costs here. Your employer will pay it.
ChilgokBlackHole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chalmers wrote:
Benzos and Opiates are two entirely different drugs. That's why they are called 'benzos and opiates". One is used to treat anxiety, the other is used to treat pain.

Please stop spreading false information. Opiates are not used for treatment of pain. They are purely psychoactive. They do not treat pain, they give you a sense of well-being and block the brain's ability to sense pain. This treats nothing.
ironclad80

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChilgokBlackHole wrote:
the oak llama wrote:
if you have an Rx.....

you will test as positive for benzos on the initial "screen"

bc you have an Rx they will have to identify that the benzo in your piss is the one you have an Rx for, and yes that will be more expensive.

This is also simply not true. It is nearly impossible through conventional means to differentiate one Class IV Benzo from another once the body has metabolized it.

OP, and everyone else, I was on high-dose Xanax when I got here, I still am, and I didn't have the first problem with my drug screen.

I wish people here would stop turning simple questions into illegal drug use and getting meds you don't have a prescription for mailed to you.

Can I ask if there was any issue when they found Xanax in your system (I'm assuming they did since it's a benzo). Did you simply show them your prescription?

Lots of fear being spread here about deportation, second drug tests, telling your employer you're some kind of pill-popper has me confused as to what to believe.

If you don't mind send me a PM since I don't have 25 posts yet.
ChilgokBlackHole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironclad80 wrote:
Can I ask if there was any issue when they found Xanax in your system (I'm assuming they did since it's a benzo). Did you simply show them your prescription?

I submitted my prescription at the time of the test. I was never questioned about it, even having taking 1mg Xanax two hours before the test. I gave it to my boss, he gave it to the lab. Keep copies.
ironclad80

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChilgokBlackHole wrote:
ironclad80 wrote:

I submitted my prescription at the time of the test. I was never questioned about it, even having taking 1mg Xanax two hours before the test. I gave it to my boss, he gave it to the lab. Keep copies.

are benzos considered a narcotic? do i have to make any reference to this on the medical form for the visa?

you gave your boss the prescription?
themagicbean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen so many ill-informed posts on a single thread.

The major question that I haven't seen answered is what drugs are tested for on the test. I'm assuming it's a basic 5-panel (excluding marijuana) because that is the cheapest and fastest test, and let's be honest, the test is about stigma, not accuracy. If they cared if you got high they'd test for weed. If anyone can correct me on the test type please do so.

I'll try to hit the high (low) points. I used to be a member of LEAP and work in Drug Courts (prosecutor) if you need a resume first.

"Opiates aren't used for treatment of pain." Actually, that's their only legitimate use. Yes they cause euphoria and this is what recreational users seek but that euphoria is due to acting on endorphin receptors, blocking pain and creating euphoria. Used in light doses the euphoria is often non-existant but the pain relief effect is very real ... ask anyone with a chronic condition.

"Benzos are narcotics." Depends. "Narcotics" is a term of art that refers to opiates and opiods. But it's often used improperly (generally by law enforcement or similarly situated people) to encompass all illegitimate drugs, including cocaine (a stimulant), marijuana (its own category of stimulant-psychoactive), and other drugs. Hence if benzos are narcotics depends on if you're talking to a chemist or a cop.

If you're using benzos illegitimately please don't come over, they are handed out like candy here and you will probably kill yourself. Also there's no data to support that benzo use beyond 3-4 months has any effect EXCEPT staving off benzo withdrawal symptoms. Detox and life will be fun again, you might even start remembering ... stuff.

If you're using benzos legitimately bring over your Rx and be ready to show it. Shouldn't be an issue.

Benzo half-lives vary. Diazepam (valium) is about 48 hours and usually stays in your system (or leaves detectable metabolites) for about 30-45 days. Xanax has a very short half-life of hours and only stays for about a day and a half to three. (Remember larger doses may mean it stays longer.)

Wikipedia and Erowid, my friends ... next time (1) do homework, (2) open mouth (start typing)
www.wikipeida.org
www.erowid.org
Emark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themagicbean wrote:
I have never seen so many ill-informed posts on a single thread.

Welcome to the
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum

themagicbean wrote:

The major question that I haven't seen answered is what drugs are tested for on the test. I'm assuming it's a basic 5-panel (excluding marijuana) because that is the cheapest and fastest test, and let's be honest, the test is about stigma, not accuracy. If they cared if you got high they'd test for weed. If anyone can correct me on the test type please do so.

No correction necessary.

All these people with the fear of failing the drug test on account their anxiety, depression, and schizophrenia medication should probably think about a new issue.
Are your meds actually working?

Holy $h!t people! The test is for hard drugs! They aren't going to become suspicious about the high liver enzyme count and assume you are on anti-depressants! The test results come out negative or positive anyway. Even if they a Korean doctor was suspicious about your liver enzyme count, they would look at your large frame size and confidently prescribe anti-cholesterol pills for you.
ChilgokBlackHole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themagicbean wrote:
"Opiates aren't used for treatment of pain." Actually, that's their only legitimate use. Yes they cause euphoria and this is what recreational users seek but that euphoria is due to acting on endorphin receptors, blocking pain and creating euphoria. Used in light doses the euphoria is often non-existant but the pain relief effect is very real ... ask anyone with a chronic condition.

Under an MRI, the pain is still present. While the perception of pain is dulled by opioid-based narcotics, the pain is still "felt" in the sense that the nerve impulses are still sending signals and the forebrain is still processing them. This is why it is critical to monitor pain patients during acute scenarios, for example, physical injuries. Simply because the pain doesn't seem real doesn't mean they can't go into very real shock.

As to giving my boss the prescription, he took me to get the health check. We skipped the foreigner clinic altogether and went straight to the big boys. I needed him to tell them what the slip said (piece of paper that looks like the label from the bottle, you get them at Walgreens). At that point I was on both Xanax and Temazepam, I don't know what the trade name for that was, but I assure you, my blood was probably 50% benzos by that time.
ironclad80

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ChilgokBlackHole"]
themagicbean wrote:

As to giving my boss the prescription, he took me to get the health check. We skipped the foreigner clinic altogether and went straight to the big boys. I needed him to tell them what the slip said (piece of paper that looks like the label from the bottle, you get them at Walgreens). At that point I was on both Xanax and Temazepam, I don't know what the trade name for that was, but I assure you, my blood was probably 50% benzos by that time.

as for me, i'd rather my boss not know if possible. if any translation or explanation is needed about my prescription i can go with a korean friend. does it make any mention of taking benzos on your certificate of health or do you simply pass or fail?
ChilgokBlackHole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironclad80 wrote:
as for me, i'd rather my boss not know if possible. if any translation or explanation is needed about my prescription i can go with a korean friend. does it make any mention of taking benzos on your certificate of health or do you simply pass or fail?

The TBPE strip tells the tale. As long as you aren't taking any extended release variants or any of the "new" stuff, just stop taking them for 48 hours and you will probably be clean. That's if you want to hide it. I just say "I'm American, everybody is on *something*, here is my prescription, bring me the cup, thanks and juseyo."

Not sure if I remember which drug you're on, but you can look it up on wikipedia and click the Hangeul link. 일프람 is Alpram, Alprazolam, Xanax. The doctor will know if you just bring a copy of the prescription.
ironclad80

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm on klonopin, same family as xanax, alpra, etc but compared to the others it's known for its slow exit from your system.

in that case i don't think 48 hours will cut it, doc back home said 2 weeks to be absolutely certain it's out, 1 week, maybe. if 48 hrs were the case that would be fine with me but i'm not going to suffer (yea, it works and i need it) i'll just show them my original prescription and find the hangul name. i don't care if immigration knows about it, but i'd prefer the school doesn't.
ChilgokBlackHole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this help? http://worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/ko/Clonazepam
ironclad80

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChilgokBlackHole wrote:

yep! i'm gonna print that page, attach my prescription to it and i should be good!
SharkDiver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was taking benzodiazapenes (Xanax) when I had my drug test done.......no problems.......the test came back clean. Besides, they are screening for illegal drugs not prescription drugs (which Xanax is in Korea).
ironclad80

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChilgokBlackHole wrote:

for what it's worth, i found a real korean page (not an english->korean translation) http://www.druginfo.co.kr/detail/product.aspx?pid=46226 for medications. you can type the med in the search bar on the top in english and it gives a whole page of info in korean. could be very useful if you take a med back home and you have a doctor with poor english skills!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: