Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

After-school programs in public schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bliss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: After-school programs in public schools Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm going to be teaching at a legitmate after-school program in a public school (teaching hrs are 1pm-5.30pm) and I just want feedback from others who are doing the same thing.

How much prep work do you do each day? And what time to you arrive at the school?

Do you have a Korean co-teacher with you?

What kind of resources do you use? Do the students get their own textbooks each month? Does the school supply much in the way resources?

Do you have to write reports? Do you have to give them a test every month?

Do you get any overtime?

Do you like your job? Why? / Why not?

Thanks in advance!!!
Lekker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at an afterschool program as well.

Students are good, except for the younger ones, but then again, they're kids.

Hours are great, same as yours, I'm there an hour early. Kids have their own books.

The resources we have for the students are great. Overhead projector, internet access, etc.

In comparison to my last job, at a hagwon, I like it. The management is organized, communicative, and the hours are great. They also pay key money and monthly rent for me, and I was able to choose my own apartment. Not bad. I feel I have a lot more freedom than I did working at a hagwon, the pay is better as well. I was able to negotiate a reasonable salary without any hassle.

I give a test every month and do reports every three months, but they're pretty simple reports. The coteacher, who teaches two floors above me takes care of the majority of the reports. It's not a free ride, it is a job, but it's a lot better than my last one. I am so glad to be out of the hagwon nonsense. My current employer is honest, up front, and although it isn't as personal as the hagwon environment, I do like getting out of work while the sun is still high in the sky. Perfect for Fridays like today.
bish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in doing an after school program when my contract expires in a few months time. I'd really like to know what the chances are of one of those jobs giving permission to do an extra part time job outside the hours of the after school program. Does anybody know?
hagwonnewbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: After-school programs in public schools Reply with quote

bliss wrote:
Hi all. I'm going to be teaching at a legitmate after-school program in a public school (teaching hrs are 1pm-5.30pm) and I just want feedback from others who are doing the same thing.

How do you know it's legit?
wylies99

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: After-school programs in public schools Reply with quote

hagwonnewbie wrote:
bliss wrote:

How do you know it's legit?

Good question. After-school programs are among the worst in Korea for cheating teachers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: