Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's best in the Philippines?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desultude

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: What's best in the Philippines? Reply with quote

I am going for a couple of weeks on a spur of the moment trip to the Phillipines, it is supposed to include Mindora and Boracay. Okay, all of you seasoned travelers- I need advice fast. What I want: good beaches, some laid back nightlife, snorkeling, and a quiet place to sleep at night. I don't mind a bit of a scene, but when its time to sleep, someone rolfing in the room is not my style.

Also, should I take my U.S. dollars, or get pesos here or at the airport?
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take US dollars, change them at the airport in Manila as soon as you get off the plane. The rate there is good. Go to Puerto Galera, but don't go to Sabang unless you are into three ways with eighteen year old girls. (Some people are.) When you get off the boat at Puerto Galera on Mindoro, go right to White Beach. Much better. Beautiful beach. From there you can take a boat to Roxas on Mindora and then another boat to Boracay. Oh yeah, don't get caught holding drugs. That will leave a mark. Other than that, don't take the first taxi that is offered, and always make sure the driver turns on the damn meter. They will rob you blind. Have fun.

Last edited by Pyongshin Sangja on Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
camel96

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindoro is nice.
Specifically White Beach or the next one Aninuan I think it's called.
Not too much of a scene (except on weekends with the Manila-ites come in droves). Sabang is really crap.
People keep saying good things about Palawan but it may be a little too quiet for you.
You can change money at the airport (at least enough to get you to town) and then change with all the Muslim guys on Adriatico Street or somewhere when you arrive. Bargain for your exchange rate outside the banks.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, go to a place where you could easily get ripped off or robbed to make an extra one percent on an already amazing exchange rate. I dunno, man. Do it at the airport.
desultude

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pyongshin Sangja
Yeah, go to a place where you could easily get ripped off or robbed to make an extra one percent on an already amazing exchange rate. I dunno, man. Do it at the airport.

Yeah, I am sure that is what I will do- exchange at the airport. I'm afraid they will see me coming a mile off and I will be in trouble. It doesn't look like I will need to spend that much anyway.

As for drugs, my rule is never, never, ever in a foriegn country. Had a friend once do some serious time in a jail in Mexico. No high is worth it. Period.
camel96

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyongshin Sangja wrote:

They're not skanky sketches on the side of the road, they're licensed moneychangers. In shops and shit. They all seemed pretty honest and friendly to me. It's not like Bali.
desultude

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
camel96

They're not skanky sketches on the side of the road, they're licensed moneychangers. In shops and *beep*. They all seemed pretty honest and friendly to me.

Now, that doesn't bother me, I would just avoid anything "blackmarket" without understanding the system.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second or third what Pyongshin and Camel say regarding White Beach. Its really beautiful, very relaxed, and just a little fun too - in a light way. Not a party atmosphere. But there are a few bars on the beach and a disco off somewhere else (didn't make it there). It is extremely low-key, very relaxing, very quiet, yet at the same time does indeed have a few places to sit back and drink and talk with whoever is around while watching the ocean.

I agree about Sabang. Not really a beach.. just a maze of bars and restaurants with a few girly bars.

Puerto Galera is basically a port. Not much happens there, so its much better to be at White Beach where not much more is happening either, but having an ideal setting and ideal for relaxing. Plus people do stay there, so you will meet people if thats your intent as well, and talk over drinks and such.

I haven't been to Boracay however to say what its like there..
camel96

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a really cool transvestite bar down one end of the beach. They do killer cocktails. Hang out there and watch the look of surprise on korean adjoshis faces when they discover that the girls ain't all girls.... Laughing I'd go back just for this.
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Take US dollars, change them at the airport in Manila as soon as you get off the plane. The rate there is good. Go to Puerto Galera, but don't go to Sabang unless you are into three ways with eighteen year old girls. (Some people are.) When you get off the boat at Puerto Galera on Mindoro, go right to White Beach. Much better. Beautiful beach. From there you can take a boat to Roxas on Mindora and then another boat to Boracay.

Absolutely uncanny advice. I'm planning on going there next week with my GF, and the advice I have heard, and the itinerary I have planned is exactly the same as this.

The only thing I'll add is that I'm told Sabang is long and does have some nice areas. I'm glad to hear there is a boat to Roxas as I thought the only option was a bus to Calapan and another to Roxas. The roads apparently are rough on that island.

If anyone knows how to get back from Boracay to Manila, please say. So far I was thinking of going to Ilolio for a few days and then flying back, but perhaps there are boats as well.

I'll say no more. I've never been there. Looking forward to it.

Ken:>
camel96

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moldy Rutabaga wrote:
The only thing I'll add is that I'm told Sabang is long and does have some nice areas.

Definitely NOT true.
Usually you can fly from Boracay to Manila for something like 50 bucks if you book at least 3 days in advance. I have a price list here somewhere I'll try and find.
saharzie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabang is a dump. Borocay is great, perfect mix of relaxation and some nightlife...you will meet loads of other people there. Beware of ladyboys and hookers and you will be fine. The beer is cheap, the sand is white and I cant think of a better place to spend a few days.
Cebu is also worth a visit..close to Bohol and the chocolate hills as well as the Tarsier foundation, both well worth a visit. The nightlife in Cebu is great and imho the best looking girls were to be seen there...spanish/chinese mix....
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take your word for it. I'll pass through Sabang only to have a look and go to White Beach, and then extend my stay in Boracay. I would like to see Bohol/Cebu, but there is too much to see in three weeks, and I don't want to spend every second day on a bus.

I've stolen Desultude's thread a little, but I hope this is useful for him/her too. Thanks all.

Ken:>
desultude

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Moldy Rutabaga

I've stolen Desultude's thread a little, but I hope this is useful for him/her too. Thanks all.

Thats okay, she doesn't mind. All of the information helps.

Does anyone have a great cheap quiet place to stay they want to recommend? On Mindoro or Boracay?
adventureman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by adventureman on Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: