Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All-you-can-eat-wings in Apgujeong
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chronicpride

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: All-you-can-eat-wings in Apgujeong Reply with quote

I have no affiliation with this place, other than being a semi-regular customer, but as a wing-fanatic that wants to see this place keep in business, I want to bring everyone's attention to Shwing. It's a small little restaurant in Apgujeong that specializes in hot wings, but also has burgers and fries/tater tots on the menu.

They have a bunch of different kinds of wings, like honey/garlic, BBQ, mild, hot, super pro hot, and Krazy Korean hot.

Last week, we went there and found out that they have a summer special right now, that for 15,000 Won/per person, you get a 500CC mug of draft and can have unlimited wings. The deal is good for any day of the week from 6pm-11pm. One small caveat is that if you have unfinished wings, you get charged for them, like 2000won if you leave between 2-5 on your plate, 3000won for 5-10 or something like that.

Krazy Korean is their stupid-hot flavor. For foreigners who love spicy food and are tired of Koreans wondering if they should water down the buldak for you, because they're worried that foreigners are not used that kind of potency, you'll like this. When I ordered 10 Krazy Korean wings, she told me that they were 'dangerous'. I brushed this off as the usual, 'are you sure that you can handle that kind of heat? Remember, you're a foreigner.' After getting through the 5th one, I realized that I just got my ass kicked by some wings. My buddy had to go for a walk to get over eating 2. Laughing

No word of lie, I had 2 showers over the next 24 hours after that, and I put my contacts in the next afternoon and my eyes were burning, because of the lingering spice in my fingers.

They also have some eating contest that I saw on the wall, with pictures of people and how many Krazy Korean wings that they could eat within 5 minutes or something. Haven't tried it yet.

Anyways, I'll plug this place and hope you can guys can give it a visit. Here is a pic and a map, w/ directions:

The map sucks, but the best way to approach this is from either the north or east Rodeo Arch. From either arch, walk underneath and down the main street until you get to an L intersection, with a small side road continuing west (that would be continuing straight, if you are coming from the east arch, or turn right, if you coming from the north arch.) You'll know that you are in the right area, if you spot a 7-11 on the left hand side. Looking at the businesses on the right, you should see the Schwing sign.

I'm bummed that Casa Maya, which was just around the corner, has recently closed down and I hope that these guys can stick around with the help of yours and my patronage.

Last edited by chronicpride on Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:50 am; edited 2 times in total
chiaa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the crazy Korean. They are the hottest wings on earth. The messed up part is that you can eat a couple and THEN it hits you. I mean its like whamo.

Thank you for the heads up on the special. Think I will head there Thursday.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now don't get me wrong. I like Sh'wing and they're probably the best wing place in Korea at the moment (although I was there last weekend and noticed a change in the Buffalo wing recipe), but I have issues with their Krazy Korean wings: First, they're all heat and no flavor, and second, people say they're insanely hot, but my old customers who ate Beaver's Wings hot Buffalo Wings and Sh'wing's Krazy Korean wings say that Beaver's Wings hot wings were hotter.

But anyway, a fine wing place and I even gave them a mention on the www.beaverswings.com site.
Hanson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now don't get me wrong.

I get you wrong all the time. You talks funny.
mullethunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd like to go just so i could tell people that i ate at a place called "shwings"! Laughing

sparkx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiaa wrote:
I have had the crazy Korean. They are the hottest wings on earth. The messed up part is that you can eat a couple and THEN it hits you. I mean its like whamo.

You never got through one wing

Who are you trying to fool here?

Anyways, the best thing about that place is the Wall of Fame ("The Fiery O Rings" I think the MVP's are called) which shows pictures of everyone who was able to finish off a plate of Krazy Koreans. I swear 3/4th of the pictures are of tiny little Korean girls holding up dainty peace signs.

Thinking of them taking colon wrecking, noisy, napalm spreading dumps the next morning gives me a real soft-on.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkx wrote:
Thinking of them taking colon wrecking, noisy, napalm spreading dumps the next morning gives me a real soft-on.

Oh my.

Until 11, eh? When's this deal end?
Zenpickle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH NO!! My favorite little-known haunt has been exposed to the public! Now it's going to be even harder to get a table there.

Oh yeah... Sh-wing video (and shameless plug):
http://www.zenkimchi.com/videos.php

BTW -- my record on Krazy Koreans in one sitting is seven. And they do have a delayed heat. So the heat from all seven wings hit at once.
chiaa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkx wrote:
chiaa wrote:

You never got through one wing

Who are you trying to fool here?

Anyways, the best thing about that place is the Wall of Fame ("The Fiery O Rings" I think the MVP's are called) which shows pictures of everyone who was able to finish off a plate of Krazy Koreans. I swear 3/4th of the pictures are of tiny little Korean girls holding up dainty peace signs.

B*tch. Wing off tomorrow night.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And way over on the other side of the Apkujongdong culinary spectrum- How is OB Stadium these days? Still in business?
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a great place for a Daves gathering Wink
billybrobby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know what you do? you take a candle and pour all the wax on your tongue and then you can go back and eat all the wings you want. beware of hallucinogenic side effects. find your soul mate.
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiaa wrote:
I have had the crazy Korean. They are the hottest wings on earth.

Please! Maybe the hottest you've ever had. Have you had Texas hot, I mean, in Texas? where you have to sign a waiver of all medical responsibility. Or Buffalo wings in Buffalo? Now they are hot! Underhyped Ohio and Michigan have hot wings sports bars where your head kicks back involuntarily just from the smell! The only place in my native Canada where I've had comparably hot wings was in Windsor, a border community.

Fire-alarm or deathly hot wings should hurt the next day. That's par for the course. Very Happy

Koreans love to claim that their this or that is the "most ____" and "____-est" in the world. But they don't know what they are talking about. Don't buy into the hype.

I'll go to Schwing and try them for myself with a healthy dose of skepticism from my years of hot wings experience (as my fav food when I travelled across the U.S. on college vacations).

chronicpride wrote:
They also have some eating contest that I saw on the wall, with pictures of people and how many Krazy Korean wings that they could eat within 5 minutes or something.

Anyone know what the record is? I wanna prepare myself if it seems manageable.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas and Korea are nothing I tell you- nothing!
It wasn't until after leaving Korea that I discovered the one thing too hot for my wife to eat- roti. Made with loads of jerk sauce.
It's the Scotch Bonnets, they'll get you every time.
chronicpride

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanIslander wrote:
chiaa wrote:
I have had the crazy Korean. They are the hottest wings on earth.

Please! Maybe the hottest you've ever had. Have you had Texas hot, I mean, in Texas? where you have to sign a waiver of all medical responsibility. Or Buffalo wings in Buffalo?

Koreans love to claim that their this or that is the "most ____" and "____-est" in the world. But they don't know what they are talking about. Don't buy into the hype..

I have been to the Anchor Bar in Buffalo that started it all, plus a few other knock-offs in the area, and was very underwhelmed.

FWIW, as I mentioned in my opening post, I thought that the Shwing waitress' warning was your typical 'this is Korea heat. Are you sure you can handle this, blah-blah?' From a guy that is constantly in search of all things truly spicy over here, I found that eating a plate of Krazy Korean wings is without a doubt, hotter than any buldak, nakji-bokkum, or gochu pepper that I've scarfed down. Well, there were a few gochu peppers that have knocked me on my ass, pretty hard. This stuff is probably the most consistently hottest stuff that I've had in Korea and I say that sans-Korean hype. These are the hottest wings that I've had since I was at Boston Pizza in Calgary and I taunted the cook (who was a friend) to show me how hot he could make and he poured Dave's Ultimate Insanity Sauce on a dozen wings, which was so friggin hot that they had to re-tap a new keg for us after we got through a couple.

VanIslander wrote:
chronicpride wrote:
They also have some eating contest that I saw on the wall, with pictures of people and how many Krazy Korean wings that they could eat within 5 minutes or something.

Anyone know what the record is? I wanna prepare myself if it seems manageable.

I'm not sure. I think it's up in the high teens, which I thought was pretty low, until I ate 6-7 fairly quick and then it became a real focused chore to finish the rest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: