Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVDs in Korea
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mokpochica

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: DVDs in Korea Reply with quote

I bought some DVDs for class use while I was in the U.S. over winter break. I tried to use one of them in class yesterday, but had some problems with it.

My question: Is the DVD system in the U.S. and Canada different than Korea's system? Can I use those DVD's that I bought at home here?

It's possible that the player was just being finicky because I've had some problems with Korean DVDs on it too.
brad_stephenssmith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: DVD issues Reply with quote

Welcome to the wild and wacky world of DVD regions. The short answer to your question is: "yes, there is an important difference between DVD players in the US/Ca and other countries".

A little more detail: You have probably noticed that American movies come out abroad much later than they do in the States. Well, because of the international market for DVDs the movie industry was concerned that ticket sales abroad would be hurt if people could buy the DVD of a film before it came out in the theaters in their country. Thus the advent os waht we call 'regional encoding'. Simply put, your American DVD player is most likely a region 1 player that plays region 1 disks. Your korean DVD player is a region 5 player that will only play region 5 disks (see http://www.dvdadept.com/DVD_Regions.asp for more info). In short, I'm afraid you're out of luck unless you can get ahold of one of the following:

A 'regionless' DVD player. The industry frowns upon it, but they do exist!
A computer with a DVD-Rom drive. I don't know the details but I believe you can get DVD playing software that ignores regions.

Here's hoping this has been of some use!
--Brad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh, regions.

only a few chinese player models are regionless, or you can hack a laptop. i did
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
ugh, regions.

only a few chinese player models are regionless, or you can hack a laptop. i did

Go to yongsan and they will fix it for you.... also do a search on the net for region free dvd, you will find many.

Pioneer makes 2-3 models that are region free and available at yongsan
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do you know so much more about korea than i do :/

thanks for the info. but i thought regionless dvd players were illegal?
denz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: yesh well Reply with quote

dan, this is korea!

what is "illegal"? if you follow me ;)

denz
mokpochica

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: I have some hope... Reply with quote

There is a computer in the same room that has a DVD rom player, so it sounds like I might be able to use those DVDs without too much hassle.

If not, Kimcheeking...you said they could fix it for me at Yongsan? So I was wondering where and how...and for how much money?

And even if I can't ever use the DVDs, I thank you all for letting me know the scoop so I didn't frustrate myself further.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure exactly... haven't done it myself a friend told me. As far as I know region free players are not illegal, another friend of mine bought one in the states.
Hank Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
I'm not sure exactly... haven't done it myself a friend told me.

Just like installing a mod chip. If you're not afraid of circuit boards and soldering irons, it's a 5 minute job.
mokpochica

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: I see... Reply with quote

I misunderstood. I thought they could do something to the DVDs themselves. I can't take the DVD player since it is my school's player. I'll try the computer route though and see if anything can be done that way,
denz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: yesh well Reply with quote

not sure if this applies or helps, but i know that you can get a CD for the PSX2 that you insert into the playtstation (which also plays DVDs) This CD overrides the regional security on the PSX2 and then allows you to play DVDs from any region.

anyone know of anything similar for a standard DVD player?

denz
Derrek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Computer DVD Reply with quote

If your DVD player is inside your computer, it might be either hardware or software based coding. If it is software-based (as in my LG DVD Rom I bought in the USA and brought here) you can go to www.downloads.com and download a free program called, "DVD GENIE" which will remove the coding.

Good luck
rasta man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW whats a regionless DVD player running these days or can I get a region 1 player? I have a bunch for my notebook pc but want to play them on my tv bigger screen et al
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: yesh well Reply with quote

denz wrote:
not sure if this applies or helps, but i know that you can get a CD for the PSX2 that you insert into the playtstation (which also plays DVDs) This CD overrides the regional security on the PSX2 and then allows you to play DVDs from any region.

anyone know of anything similar for a standard DVD player?

The "Boot DVD" is for any DVD player, not just PS2s. Basically it says "Hey, I'm a DVD for region 3! (Korea)" and boots past the regional lockout. Then it says "hey! Timeout! I need to put in the next disc", at which time you put in your DVD movie from any region. A DVD player only checks the regional lockout on bootup.

I saw a few places in Yongsan that sold them. 30,000 Won or so.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the above solutions (all are valid/excellent suggestions), Derrek's sounds like it will suit you best (really, for anyone with a comp).

Personnaly, I think anyone wishing to buy a DVD player (not comp drive) should get a regionless one, or go ahead and have it modded immediately. Just too much cool stuff out there to be region limited.

I have an X-box coming from the states, & that is the FIRST of several mods for the lil bugger.

G.

PS ~ Denz, you know better!!! If everything in Korea was legal, Felix wouldn't still be paying off that settlement to that Irate Korean sheep farmer!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: