Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No price on Xmas travel tickets?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: No price on Xmas travel tickets? Reply with quote

I'm having alot of trouble booking flights for xmas break. No one will give me a price on the tickets. What's up with that? Christmas is less than 3 weeks away.

I've had this 'problem' before but usually they know a month or two in advance what a ticket is going to cost.

Does anyone else find that the Korean travel agents are really horrible?
Gord

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they quote you a price and you walk in two days later, the price will have gone up which leads to people screaming "you told me a lower price". Basically they can give you a price for if you bought the ticket right now, not a price for being bought tomorrow. It's the Christmas rush.

Ticket prices are based on supply and demand, so it's not so much they know what a ticket cost will be in the future, but when you look into it two months in advance the prices will still be very stable.

Perhaps try an online site like Xpedia or Orbitz so you can have an idea of a worst case scenario, if you booked at the time.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you going? I am going to Portland, Oregon for 1,200,000 round trip.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
justagirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did the same to me in November. I couldn't get a price until a week before my trip. What??? And then, the tickets were sold out! I wanted to buy mine a month in advance. Grr. I really, really hate Korean ticketing. Why in the world can't they simply have a price? You note that Expedia never has a problem giving a price. Why do the Korean travel agents?

Good luck, man. Don't be surprised if they are already sold out, when they finally do tell you a price.

justagirl
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord,

Can you tell me why it's only like this in Korea? Every other country I've been to can give me a price on a ticket months in advance. Not giving a price doesn't really encourage someone to buy. If someone would just give me a damn price I'd march over there and lay my money down.

It's like calling up a pizza joint and saying "how much for a pizza?" and they say "we don't know"......should I just say "Ok, I'll have an extra large please?".....just doesn't make any sense.
just because

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had no trouble with ticket prices. just got a flight on the 22nd. of December from Busan to Brisbane for 670 000 won. Rang up, gave me the price, i booked the ticket(it is with Qantas) going through Tokyo. I used this travel agent in Busan, they are fantastic. I paid through the bank so it doesn't matter what part of the country you are in, they will send you the ticket.
www.kangsantravel.com
mack the knife

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip o' the day:

Travel agents often quote the same or HIGHER prices than airline customer service representatives. Always call the airline first, find out if a seat is available for your departure date, and get a quote on the price. They will often give you price even when travel agents are reluctant to do so.

Of course, you need to shop around because it's always possible you'll score a better deal through an agent.
Gord

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylehawkins2000 wrote:
Gord,

Can you tell me why it's only like this in Korea? Every other country I've been to can give me a price on a ticket months in advance. Not giving a price doesn't really encourage someone to buy. If someone would just give me a damn price I'd march over there and lay my money down.

It's like calling up a pizza joint and saying "how much for a pizza?" and they say "we don't know"......should I just say "Ok, I'll have an extra large please?".....just doesn't make any sense.

I haven't noticed it being any different here than anywhere else. It's always based on "if you buy today, the ticket will be this price". The airlines increase the price of the tickets as they sell off. But when you're buying two or three months in advance, very few tickets have sold or will sell in the immediate future, so a price quoted will generally be good for a number of days or possibly weeks.

If you were to walk into a travel agent back home in October and said "I want to fly out to another country in December, but I don't want to buy the ticket until then", they would have given you the same song and dance.

One thing done by a lot of airlines in North America to help prevent price fluxuations is online ticket reservations for agents. Basically the agent can say "hold this ticket" at no cost, and then they can cancel the ticket at no cost.

When I flew over, I flew with JAL and they didn't offer that service. To reserve the ticket, I had to arrange to buy the ticket. The agent wouldn't reserve the ticket until I was ready to pay because JAL would courier out the tickets to them, and if they cancelled they ate a $40 service fee or something.

So this may also have something to do with it as Korean airlines may also have a similiar system like JAL.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that you often CAN'T buy the tickets "today" (in Korea, that is). You must wait while the travel agent gives you the full "who shot john" deal and then finally quotes you a price months later that doubles the original estimate.

This is another reason to avoid travel agents if at all possible. They don't find out the actual rates until after the airlines notify them (which could be days/weeks later--we're talking about peak season tickets).
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

I want a ticket now to travel to the Phillipines on the 26th or 27th. I"m not trying to book months in advance and I'm willing to pay as soon as someone will quote me a price.

This is the same in any country? Not bloody likely! I've booked up to 6 months in advance with a Canadian travel agent, and 4 months in advance with a British agent. They were both able to give me exact prices on the spot and issue the ticket.
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got an agent you like & trust, the system can work to your advantage -- they postpone fixing prices to work you the best deal. No premiums here for early purchase. But you can book a number of flights with no penalty. So waiting lists get inflated. Push come to shove, you fly pretty much when you want to at a reasonable fare. I gave up sweating out the preplanning details & it's always seemed to work out okay.
sayangamber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going home for Christmas and have had a reservation since September. However, prices weren't set until last week for Singapore Airlines (in fact, Korean Air hadn't even set prices as of last week and told me it should be done this week - that came directly from the airline). Anyways, I'm flying to San Francisco for 720,000. I can't wait!

SayangAmber
Homer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle...here is what you should do mate:

1- Walk into a travel agency
2-Sit down
3-tell the agen where you want to go and when
4-Listen to the price she or he tells you
5-Say you want to book the flight now (don't forget to bring money)
6-Pay
7-Take your ticket
8-Stand up
9-Walk to the door and open it
10-Go home
11- Sit down in your living room and make sure you remember these little steps for next time... Laughing
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the condescending message Homer. Very helpful. To be honest I'd rather have someone give me a price over the phone so I don't have to travel somewhere just to be given the same load of bull I've been getting over the phone.

Believe it or not I have actually booked travel from Korea on several occassions in the past. I've had to put up with crap before but this is just unbelievable.
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got a fare to Austin Texas last week 1.26 roundtrip leaving the 21st yikes!!! If I could of gone this weekend it would of been around a million.

I've used the same travel agent for years and its always been this way. Funny thing I check on United web's site and the "best internet fare" is always about 50% higher and has terrible routing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: