Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Serve lunch to students?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jotun_Symph

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Serve lunch to students? Reply with quote

Just curious how many people have ever worked at a school where English teachers were required to eat/ serve lunch to the students. Is it just me? At my old hagwon, 3 days out of the week we would have to serve AND eat lunch with our homeroom (8-10 students). The contract we all signed said "eat lunch" not serve lunch, otherwise I probably wouldn't have signed. All the other foreign teachers agreed that if it weren't for the lunch thing, the job would actually be pretty good. But serving lunch to kindergardeners was disgusting and exhausting, especially when we still had 5-7 classes to teach. Any similar experiences would be interesting.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at a hagwon that did that. But I wasn't the Kindy teacher so I usually didn't arrive till well after lunch time. I know the girl who had to do it really hated it.

When regular hagwon offer Kindergarten classes, they have to offer something extra in order to attract parents. this usually means things like serving lunch.

Personally, I don't think regular haggies should be allowed to hold Kindergarten classes. They are not equipped or trained for it and it usually ends up being a mess for all concerned.

Good luck.
Jotun_Symph

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I finished that job a long time ago. And yes it was a total disaster. The kids made an absolute mess, and guess who was expected to clean it up? The worst was when the kids sneeze or cough all over your food.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my first hogwon, the foreign teachers were expected to help serve lunch, eat with the kids, and lead them in saying grace.
rayray123

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Deureo! wrote:
At my first hogwon, the foreign teachers were expected to help serve lunch, eat with the kids, and lead them in saying grace.

Did you know about this when you took the job?
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and people take these jobs? man it must be a tough market

let me guess, its a wonderland?
mgafunnell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

serving lunch would have been wonderful compared to what i had to do at my hagwon. the teachers at my hagwon were responsible for cleaning the place. not only that, the owner wanted me to stay late and call the kids at home (none of whom could speak English) and to top it all off, he wanted me to get a perm and obtain an international driver's license so i could drive the students home between classes.

i fled that dump within months and korea a short time later with no regrets.
Vix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I need to serve them lunch everyday too. It's a pain since they consider this a break and I have to eat the school food or the kids go nuts. On the bright side they basically eat in silence since they can't speak Korean in school.
furtakk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i worked at a kindy hagwon i did.

the lunches were actually quite good (it was a very expensive hagwon) and i genuinely enjoyed eating with the kids on most days. we actually didn't have to eat with the kids, but the teacher's lounge was quite small so my choices were: eating with my very awkward director and manager or eating with the kids. the latter won every time.

i was kind of lucky as i taught the oldest kinder class (6 years old western age) so they had been pretty well trained by that point (as far as lunch etiquette goes). rarely any big messes and the kids were polite. if you're teaching 4 year olds, i can definitely understand the pain.

although it should be clear that i actually enjoyed teaching kinder. if you hate doing that kind of job, i could understand why you'd also hate having lunch with the kids.
rednblack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking brilliant! Be careful nappies are next.
ontheway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rednblack wrote:
... brilliant! Be careful nappies are next.

Actually, over the years, quite a few kindi teachers have reported assisting with potty time and changing diapers. Kindi is fine for those who like that age group, and don't mind all the preschool duties that come with it.

The important thing to remember is that kindi in Korea is really cradle to kindergarten preschool.
jamesd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with serving and eating lunches with your students? If it's small enough, it shouldn't really matter.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayray123 wrote:
Son Deureo! wrote:

Did you know about this when you took the job?

Of course not. I should point out that I was expected to, but I never actually did.

The boss tried pulling this one on us at month 3 of my contract, the Korean teachers had previously been doing this without us. Since I was already teaching a full load, I made it clear that I expected overtime pay for taking on this duty as if it were an extra class. Boss said getting a free lunch was compensation enough. I told him I'd rather eat at Kimbap Cheonguk. The other foreign teachers put up with doing kindie lunch for about 3 weeks before they, too, joined me at Kimbap Cheonguk.

Quote:
What's wrong with serving and eating lunches with your students? If it's small enough, it shouldn't really matter.

Because it's extra work without (usually) extra compensation.
Jotun_Symph

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesd wrote:

Are you stoned? Lunch counted as one of our breaks, so it was not factored into our pay as a teaching hour. Half the kids don't want to eat their food, so in some cases you have to spoon feed them. Others spill stuff, so every 5 minutes while you'e trying to gorge down your food you have to stand up and wipe something down. And when everyone was done, we had to clean the joint up because we had classes right after.

I enjoyed TEACHING Kindergarten, but when it comes to food/toilet/hygeine issues, I think the Korean co-teachers should handle all of that. Like I said, the school was pretty good, but the lunch thing drove all of us insane.
jamesd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jotun_Symph wrote:
jamesd wrote:

Are you stoned? Lunch counted as one of our breaks, so it was not factored into our pay as a teaching hour. Half the kids don't want to eat their food, so in some cases you have to spoon feed them. Others spill stuff, so every 5 minutes while you'e trying to gorge down your food you have to stand up and wipe something down. And when everyone was done, we had to clean the joint up because we had classes right after.

I enjoyed TEACHING Kindergarten, but when it comes to food/toilet/hygeine issues, I think the Korean co-teachers should handle all of that. Like I said, the school was pretty good, but the lunch thing drove all of us insane.

Ok. Fair enough. I wouldn't want to spoon feed and clean after them either.

Have you told your boss that serving and eating with them would be ok, but spoon feeding and cleaning after them is not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: