Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any tips for living frugally here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYC_Gal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of my favorite things to make involve kimchi.

1. Buckwheat flour, some milk and an egg, with chopped up old kimchi and bell pepper, fried in sesame oil makes a great poochinge.

2. Fry up some old kimchi with a can of tuna, then add some brown rice and barley.
Illysook

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that you have to eliminate Costco, but you do have to set a limit and buy the products that really will save you money.

The coffee is one example. It comes in 2 and 3 pound bags for 10,000 to 16,000 won. Some of the same coffee is available at Starbucks, but that same amount of money will buy you an 8 oz. bag. I French press my own coffee each morning saving a bunch of money compared to buying it by the cup at Holly's or Starbucks.

Meat is another thing that you can save money on...I think. Can anyone beat 2.95 Kg of frozen chicken breasts for 20,000 won? If so, please share the info on where to get it and any other reasonably priced meats.

Cooking at home is my favorite way to save money. Having a cat seems to be my favorite way to waste it. I keep dry food out for her at all times and supplement it with a spoonful of canned a few times a day. That canned food habit was never so expensive before now!
Vagabundo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
can anyone beat 2.95 Kg of frozen chicken breasts for 20,000 won?

easily

http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=153841522&pos_shop_cd=EN&pos_class_cd=90000001&pos_class_kind=T

10 kilos for 47,900
free delivery

beats your deal.

I just paid 60 from a different company that I usually order from. Drats.
Illysook

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the delivery work? Can you arrange the time that you want? Do you have it sent to your home or your school? I'm not sure how I would keep it cold at school. Do they deliver on Saturdays?
Vagabundo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illysook wrote:
How does the delivery work? Can you arrange the time that you want? Do you have it sent to your home or your school? I'm not sure how I would keep it cold at school. Do they deliver on Saturdays?

I have it delivered to my school. This way I know someone is always there, except for Sundays. Most of the time at least someone from admin office is around on Saturdays, at least every other one.

they stick it in the refrigerator for me, or just leave it in the big styrofoam container it comes in. The stuff is frozen solid and it would take more than 24 hours for the thing to really begin thawing. The container is designed to keep it cold as long as possible, (styrofoam, etc, they also throw in some icebags into it)

I've found the deliveries at my school are always in the afternoon, so I take it home a mere hour or two later. Never an issue.

and yes, they deliver on Saturdays. I always order so that the thing will come during the week. One time they tried delivering on a Saturday, school was closed, they texted me or called, of course I don't understand Korean, so they took it back. I had to have a Korean guy friend at admin office at school later track the thing down for me. They wound up resending me my original order, actually a fresh batch for no extra cost.

each time I order chicken at G-mart from the same seller (and I've stuck with the same guys because the stuff tastes great), they deliver 2-3 days after I've ordered and paid for it thru bank transfer. (or you can use Gmart payment system)

I used to buy my chicken at E-mart, Stupidest thing I ever did.. paid double and the thing wouldn't be fresh after several days when I bought in bulk. When they're frozen solid, and I thaw them (by taking them out of freezer and into refrigerator for several days) they're as good as ever.
Mokpo_Wookie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vagabundo wrote:
Quote:
can anyone beat 2.95 Kg of frozen chicken breasts for 20,000 won?

easily

http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=153841522&pos_shop_cd=EN&pos_class_cd=90000001&pos_class_kind=T

10 kilos for 47,900
free delivery

beats your deal.

I just paid 60 from a different company that I usually order from. Drats.

10 Kilos...that's a bucket of kimchee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: