Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Decent Buffets in Seoul...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arthur Fonzerelli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Decent Buffets in Seoul... Reply with quote

I admit it, I like to chow down at buffets...

Anyone know of any decent buffets in the Seoul area? Maybe we can get some reviews on here as a guide for those who like to dine out at buffets..

The buffets that I've been to are Carney Station in Kangnam near Bennigan's and OB Stadium in Itaewon. Both were pretty good places if you're into beef (kalbi) and beer...

I'm getting hungry writing this post. Laughing
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are we assuming open grill, quasi biological weapons factory type buffets?

i gotta admit, i like these places too much, even knowing the dangers involved :/
princess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the Viking Buffet on the 52 story of the Wolrd Trade Center. They have an amazing buffet. Western,Japanese and Korean sections,plus dessert. They had stuffed scallops on the half-shell when I went.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do these buffets cost?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gajackson1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OB Stadiums are a great deal - we used to have a Foreigners Night based on it in Ch'ang-won.

As for buffets in Korea, hmmm. I usually splurge 1-2 times each month for a hotel buffet. Especially I am fond of Sunday brunch buffet, before the church crowds descend!!!

Usually, these run anywhere from 16-35k (add in tax & service!)/person.

An alternative to this is the Korean Wedding Hall buffet places. This can be a mixed batch - some are terrible, some are pretty good. But for just 5-7k/pp, it is hard not to get your wons worth.

Itaewon has excellent Indian buffets, although pricey.

What I miss? NAmerican pizza buffets & Souper-Salad type places. Also, Golden Corral or Home Kitchen buffets (the kind where you order a 'main dish,' then chow the rest of the bar while your food is being cooked, then stuff the to go container on your way out). CHINESE FOOD BUFFETS, 'American style' - i.e. - no white rice!!!

*Sigh!* I've said it before, but next to family and friends, the only other thing I really miss is the food availability.

Princess, I have been to that one. But, sadly, it is no more, correct?

G.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

every day lunch buffet at swagat indian restaurant in gangnam...also, chakraa in hannam-dong has a 15,000 won indian buffet on weekends...the best in korea, absolutely!! forget that garbage near hamilton hotel...

there is a decent vegetarian buffet near yangje station called SM vegetarian restaurant. they make great all-grain bread as well.

cocos and sizzler have buffets for around 20,000won with TACOS...not bad but they put corn in the ground beef...WHAT is THAT?? you can find them around coex.

also, korean chain restaurant VIPS has a buffet similar to sizzler but not as good.

have yet to find a chinese buffet, but ho lee chow is far and away the best chinatown cuisine in korea...

happy eats!!
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mack the knife wrote:
ho lee chow

Best. Name. Ever.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday Brunch at the Hilton. Go when the cherry trees bloom- you can work off that rich food with a beautiful stroll around Namsan.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: SIZZLER Reply with quote

SIZZLER at Jamsil!!

Was there last night! Paid 12,900 Won for a Salmon dinner with fries and veggies PLUS the all-you-can eat buffet!

It was yummy!
panthermodern

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Buffets Reply with quote

The best Buffet I ever went to (in Korea) was five years ago at a "Ponderosa" somewhere in Seoul, it was excellent.

I can't rember for the life of me where it was, perhaps ask HARPEAU, for he was the one who took me.

It maybe gone now.

As for Sizzler, yuck! I guess if you had been here a while and/or you like all you can eat lowish quality food (commenting on the buffet not the entries).

As for western food in Seoul here are my top 5!

5. New York Fries in Apujeong (from Canada eh!, read the sign)
4. Ho Lee Chow in Iteawon and Apujeong (from Canada eh!, goto the company website)
3. (Tied) TGIF Fridays (all over) and the classic Hard Rock Cafe (Kangnam) evil american companies! come for the food stay for the evil
2. Outback Steakhouse (all over) from the Foster's Light of evil Australia
1. Uno's (COEX) from Chicago

Overal I like Uno's best because of selection, price and style of food. Hoenesty somedays I just want a freaking club house sandwich with slaw, they have it ... i want a burger, a good burger, not an OK 2 KG burger ...

Honorable mentions:

Casa Miya : Mexican Apujeong
Panchos: Mexican Iteawon
Cafe le Wok: NA Chinese Apujeong
Fuyi Express: NA Chinese Apujoeng and other places
Mad dogs: Korean Pub (good hot wings) everywhere
Liquor Beer Cabin: Korean Pub really good BBQ chicken Korean style = Molsons.

Still where can I get GOOD fish and chips so help me god.

Actually, Ms. Modern bought restaunt guide at COEX before the world cup which was a "best of" of the PORKERS column from the Herald ... not a bad investment.

anyway

CYA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIPS there are several locations... and the steak is good too..
gajackson1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm - I & gf will go to Chakraa today, for Sunday buffet. There is also a 2nd location in Yong-san gu, as well.

As for the Ponderosa, I know of 2:

996-8 Dae-chi 3 dong, in Gang-nam (02) 565-1021

162-4 Dong-gyo dong, in Mapo (02) 3141-3473

Anyone needs restaurant info, I am pretty good with this sort of stuff

Bon apetit!

Glen
gajackson1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chakraa was a good recc. There were only about 12 dishes on the buffet (inc. 3 salads & a dessert), so the selection wasn't great, for the price. But food & service excellent, & music/ambiance good as well.

We ALMOST went to Western China (just down the street) for Dim Sum instead - one of my favorite meals.

Can anyone recc a Dim Sum place? Does Ho Lee Chow do Dim Sum???

G.
Harpeau

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to ya Panthermodern. Yes, that was awesome steak at the Ponderosa! Since then, they changed the name and it's some other steak rest. with a pretty decent salad bar. Go to Hongik Univ. (Green Line 2) close to exit #6 on the corner 2nd floor.

The Hotel at the COEX (The Continental??) used to serve a Dim Sum buffet for Sunday brunch. It was awesome!

Don't go to the HJ Hong Kong rest. in Pusan. It sucks! (Though, do pop in and pick up "The Beat". It's a smoking magazine!) Instead, check out Hanoi for awesome Vietnamese food!

Back to Seoul. The Marriott has a great buffet. Friends highly rec. the Grand Hyatt. This is a cool thread.

Play Hard,
Harpeau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mack the knife

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not a buffet, but marche in gangnam (and elsewhere, i suppose) has a decent assortment of international cuisine (if not a little spendy), including some decent tex-mex. beer selection is not shabby, either...for those of you into tex-mex, by the way...you can also get decent fajitas at uncle 29 near gangnam station...a new place in nowon-gu just opened up called bear mountain new york which has a nice assortment of pastas, and OK tex-mex as well...

as for steaks, why go anyplace other than outback steakhouse? if you find a better (and reasonably priced) steak in seoul let me know!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: