Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cheapest way to Tokyo from Seoul
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marktoronto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: cheapest way to Tokyo from Seoul Reply with quote

I'm heading to Tokyo from Seoul, but I'm on a tight budget. So far, this is the cheapest way to get there that I've found.
From Seoul, take a train to Busan.
From Busan, take an overnight ferry to Shimonoseki
From Shimonoseki, take a very long ferry to Tokyo.

Total cost is about $250 Canadian. If anyone can beat that, please let me know.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: cheapest way to Tokyo from Seoul Reply with quote

marktoronto wrote:
I'm heading to Tokyo from Seoul, but I'm on a tight budget. So far, this is the cheapest way to get there that I've found.

Do you have a place to stay in Tokyo? The costs of actually being there will be much more brutal than getting there from Seoul.
Homer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Buy a a small rowboat....thats gonna save ya a bunch of cash and give you a good work out so you will be "buff" for the japanese ladies waiting for you on the beach at Tokyo....then again remmenbering your prefences in women thats not a selling point... Laughing
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are flights?

Seriously as someone said, food/transportation and lodging IN Tokyo will blow away the difference on that ferry/train cost vs. just flying.
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Pink wrote:
How much are flights?

Seriously as someone said, food/transportation and lodging IN Tokyo will blow away the difference on that ferry/train cost vs. just flying.

Yeah, I highly doubt that a one-way flight would be much more than that if you find the right one. A long train ride and two incredibly long ferry rides? Surely that can't be worth the few bucks that you're saving.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.B. Clamence wrote:
Mr. Pink wrote:
How much are flights?

Yeah, I highly doubt that a one-way flight would be much more than that if you find the right one. A long train ride and two incredibly long ferry rides? Surely that can't be worth the few bucks that you're saving.

Plus I don't know where exactly the ferry would drop you off at.. but if you have to take a taxi from the coast or a train or whatever else.. its going to be very expensive.

Then again same if you fly in. I believe the train from Narita Airport to the subway system was around $20.. then the subway from the edge of the subway to the opposite edge of the city was another $20. Definetely one of the world's most expensive cities.

Whatever money you save trying to get there will be nothing compared to how much you spend each day while actually being there.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: cheapest way to Tokyo from Seoul Reply with quote

marktoronto wrote:

did you take into consideration how long that will take you?
so you much include food! drinks! etc...
I guess it will take like 5 hours to pusan! then you will have to wait for your ferry.. that will take like emmmmmm 8 hours.. then the train to tokyo will take you about 8 hours... anyone by the time you leave your house in seoul to your hotel in tokyo.. you have spent 24 hours.. and probably 300 bucks..
why not juust take the flight.. for 290.000 won..and be there in 1 hour??
dude.. tight budget??? 40 more bucks!! save you alot of time!!
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry can't help you. 'Going to Tokyo on a tight budget' is a bit of an oxymoron.
marktoronto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: tokyo Reply with quote

I should have known. I have to stop posting anything on this website. Most of the replies are either wise ass comments or don't even come close to answering my questions
Itaweonguy, where have you seen a flight to Tokyo for 290,000 won?? I'm flying there in January. Try 450,000.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boo hoo.

Your question has already been answered in this thread- if you insist on looking only at the cost of transport and time is not an issue for you then YES- you are pretty much taking the cheapest route.

If that's not a good enough answer then you could look into taking an express bus to Pusan, they're usually cheaper than the trains, or if you take a train make sure you buy a third-class rather than a first-class ticket. Follow either of these two options and you're bound to save yourself at least another W10,000-20,000, budget boy.
marcy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mark,

I just got a flight from Northwest Ailines for 500,000 won, (about 568.00 Canadian given current exchange rate), leaving Dec. 28 returning jan 3, so if you're leaving in Jan it may be a bit cheaper than that. (Northwest airlines has a canadian website too, so you don't have to worry about putting a different currency on your credit card). I thought about the ferry too but decided it wasn't worth the amount of time. Try booking directly with Northwest Airlines or try doing a search on the expedia travel website, (who also has a candian website with Canadian price listings), it's a good place to start as they have a bunch of different airlines listed...

good luck Smile
Austin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Cargo... Reply with quote

MT,

Take a container ship from Pusan or Incheon to Tokyo, it will cost you less than $250 USD.

Austin
ratslash

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got seoul tokyo 400000won on the 27th. usually 300000-350000.
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: cheapest way to Tokyo from Seoul Reply with quote

itaewonguy wrote:
marktoronto wrote:

did you take into consideration how long that will take you?
so you much include food! drinks! etc...
I guess it will take like 5 hours to pusan! then you will have to wait for your ferry.. that will take like emmmmmm 8 hours.. then the train to tokyo will take you about 8 hours... anyone by the time you leave your house in seoul to your hotel in tokyo.. you have spent 24 hours.. and probably 300 bucks..
why not juust take the flight.. for 290.000 won..and be there in 1 hour??
dude.. tight budget??? 40 more bucks!! save you alot of time!!

Actually, it's much longer than that. The overnight ferry from Pusan to Shimonoseki takes 15 hours, so it will take him about 24 hours just to get from Seoul to Shimonoseki. Then he has to take a ferry (train would make it more expensive than flying) on to Tokyo, which will take forever.

I have to ask the OP: why are you going to Tokyo? I mean, if you're willing to travel by land and sea for two days instead of taking a one-hour flight just to save about $50, then Tokyo doesn't sound like a place that you can afford.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: tokyo Reply with quote

marktoronto wrote:
I should have known. I have to stop posting anything on this website. Most of the replies are either wise ass comments or don't even come close to answering my questions
Itaweonguy, where have you seen a flight to Tokyo for 290,000 won?? I'm flying there in January. Try 450,000.

Again I will ask...and the question wasn't just for you, but how much are the flights?

I paid 450,000, or rather my school did for return ticket, 1 night hotel fee + breakfast (last December I think it was).

So I am curious how much are the flights? Did you check a lot of travel agencies?

Don't get all snooty about people not wanting to help you. Most people that have been to Tokyo know it is REALLY expensive. So saying you are on a tight budget, does make people scratch their heads and go "huh?".

Also have you looked into flying into Osaka and taking the train to Tokyo? Or flying into any other less popular place and taking a train/bus?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: