Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

institutes that allow private lessons in Daejeon?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
footnote

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: institutes that allow private lessons in Daejeon? Reply with quote

I want a job teaching at an institute that allows its teachers to teach private lessons in Daejeon. I've heard that the tesol branch institute does. Are there any others? I'm super bad at doing illegal things- so I need to find an institute that doesn't mind. I could use the extra money, and want to fill time- I'm pretty bored... I don't mind paying tax or whatever- but I need my institute to be okay with extra work.
Homer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude,

Even if the institute "allows" you to do private lessons they will still be illegal.
However, by asking your institute to "allow" you to teach these lessons you will just have a few more people knowing you are doing them...

Well done.
footnote

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Actually... Reply with quote

Actually, I mean really make it legal. I don't just mean an institute that is okay with it, I mean, an institute that will give me a letter of permission to take to immigration. It is possible you know. You will pay tax on your income, but it is all absolutely legal, so you don't have to worry about getting caught or being seen by someone from work and making up stories about how you are good friends, and you can have your class where ever you want. I think it's a good trade- you lose the 700 W in tax, and you can have any number of lessons, and be open about it.
wylde

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought your e2 only allowed you to work in 1 place..

if you wanted to do extra, ie. self employment... you need to get a business visa..

not an expert but what i said kinda makes sense...
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that an E2 lets you work in only one location, and you need permission from both your boss and each and every additional location you teach at.

So for your boss to make it legal your boss would either have to submit an Addition of Location form (or whatever it's actually called) for each additional place you teach at, or let you teach privates in his building.

I could be wrong, but both seem pretty unlikely. You'd probably have better luck just finding a boss who isn't going to track you down for what you're doing in your free time, and just accepting the risk of getting busted by Immigration.
wylde

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Deureo! wrote:
My understanding is that an E2 lets you work in only one location, and you need permission from both your boss and each and every additional location you teach at.

maybe that would be ok if the person was paying the money to his boss and the boss was paying him a wage...

what is stopping me from teaching privates(with the 'addition of location' form being submitted) at my house after work and running ads to increase the number of students i get? i will pay tax too as the op mentioned..

im thinking the additional location income must still be paid to my employer who in return pays me
Homer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way you can do that dude is too ask your boss if you can work in another institute at the same time. This requires a permit he can get for you at immigration.
But, why would you want to work at two institutes?

There is no way (yet) to make privates legal even if there is talk of doing so.
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer is right. It doesn't matter whether or not your institute allows you to teach privates, because immigration will not allow it.
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer wrote:
Dude,

Even if the institute "allows" you to do private lessons they will still be illegal.
However, by asking your institute to "allow" you to teach these lessons you will just have a few more people knowing you are doing them...

Well done.

Not if they allow you to do them on the premises. Ask for it when you look around for a job.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee wrote:
Homer wrote:
Dude,

Well done.

Not if they allow you to do them on the premises. Ask for it when you look around for a job.

That's just silly Mr. Joo. You think the hakwon owner will allow this in his building and not take a cut? Now I've heard everything.
ratslash

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesus h christ!

how many times must we have this discussion!!!

sorry op, i know you are a newbie to the board, but please use the search button!

there is no such thing as a legal private. at all. full stop. doesn't matter what you do or who you know. it is ILLEGAL. the closest that you will have to a private that is legal is a class in your hagwon that only one student comes to. the only way, as far as i am aware, is to invest a quarter of a million us dollars (or some such ridicoulous amount) and open a legitimate, korean business. considering you probably don't have that kind of money then it is a closed book for you unfortunately.
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee wrote:
Homer wrote:
Dude,

Well done.

I know two schools that allow them if you want I will tell you who they are by PM

That's just silly Mr. Joo. You think the hakwon owner will allow this in his building and not take a cut? Now I've heard everything.

I know two schools that allow them and in fact try to get them for you. Myth PM me and I will tell you one of them. I forgot the name of the other. However the school is in Ilsan not in Dae Jun.
Homer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joo,

This does not make them any more legal....but it does make them more dangerous to do because more people will know about it...i.e. the Director and the entire staff...
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought Immigration's beef is that you're working at more than one location, so even if you're doing all your work for the same employer, you can't do it in two different places.
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer wrote:
Joo,

This does not make them any more legal....but it does make them more dangerous to do because more people will know about it...i.e. the Director and the entire staff...

then they perfectly legal if the boss knows about it and gives permission. He could always just say it is a class.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: