Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Seoul Pub 'tip jar'. Can anyone clear up this rumour?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bingo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: The Seoul Pub 'tip jar'. Can anyone clear up this rumour? Reply with quote

I have now heard from several sources that the owner of Seoul Pub (Itaewon) pockets a considerable amount of the tips put into the tip jar at that bar. I first heard it a year ago from a friend. I thought it was just a rumour. Then I heard from a staff member that he 'takes some' of the money. I heard a similar story from yet another customer, and recently I heard it from the boyfriend of an ex-employee in Seoul Pub. His girlfriend said that, while she worked there, the owner took about 80% of the money put into the tip jar.

If he is in fact taking tip money he should be shot. Noone (i mean ABSOLUTELY NOONE) is putting money in that tip jar for Mr. Chang. It is for the overworked and underpaid waitresses who work from 8pm till 6am for 3,5000 won an hour.

Does anyone know anything about this matter? Because I personally consider the owner guilty of theft if it's true.

Fishead soup

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He uses the tip money to fund his snappy clothes and his frequent trips to Angeles city.
RACETRAITOR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not? There is no rule saying the money should go to any of his employees. This is Korea, after all, and they don't tip here.
NoExplode

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Seoul Pub 'tip jar'. Can anyone clear up this rumour Reply with quote

Bingo wrote:
I have now heard from several sources that the owner of Seoul Pub (Itaewon) pockets a considerable amount of the tips put into the tip jar at that bar. I first heard it a year ago from a friend. I thought it was just a rumour. Then I heard from a staff member that he 'takes some' of the money. I heard a similar story from yet another customer, and recently I heard it from the boyfriend of an ex-employee in Seoul Pub. His girlfriend said that, while she worked there, the owner took about 80% of the money put into the tip jar.

If he is in fact taking tip money he should be shot. Noone (i mean ABSOLUTELY NOONE) is putting money in that tip jar for Mr. Chang. It is for the overworked and underpaid waitresses who work from 8pm till 6am for 3,5000 won an hour.

Does anyone know anything about this matter? Because I personally consider the owner guilty of theft if it's true.

Keep in mind, he collects tens of millions of won from drunken patrons for X-Mas presents for orphans at Christmas. IIRC, last year he donated over 35 million won to them...at least I'm pretty sure it gets donated...I think I saw photos.
philipjames

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RACETRAITOR wrote:
Why not? There is no rule saying the money should go to any of his employees. This is Korea, after all, and they don't tip here.

Then why are there several tip jars in the bar? I've heard the rumours too and I no longer tip when I go there. Tips are for the staff, not the owner. Any pub owner in Itaewon knows that.

Mr. Jung has all the moral fiber of a hogwan owner.
jkelly80

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a long time bartender, I think that's disgusting. However, if that's the deal as stated to the bar staff when they're hired, there's not much they can do about it. One suggestion is to as them point blank if the owner takes the tips, or if you see him, ask him yourself.

If he does, just put the money directly in their hands and tell them it's just for them.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s very true... I know MR Jung personally...
And I have known a lot of the girls who have worked there in the past...
Yes he collects about 70% of the money for himself.
Because he believes he is paying an average salary anyway and girls wouldn’t get tips in kangnam so why should they get more just because they work in the won...

ITS TERRIBLE philosophy...

A lot of the girls leave there and find work at other bars in itaewon because of this reason... other bars they collect all the tips...
philipjames

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not okay so long as he informs the staff of this when they are hired. He also needs to inform his CUSTOMERS of this reality. Otherwise it's nothing short of fraud.
crusher_of_heads

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he gets hit by a drunk driver.
jkelly80

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philipjames wrote:
No, it's not okay so long as he informs the staff of this when they are hired. He also needs to inform his CUSTOMERS of this reality. Otherwise it's nothing short of fraud.

If he instructs them to lie when asked, then yes, it's fraud. If the jar says "all tips go to servers", then yes it's fraud. Otherwise it's just a 'tip jar'. It's a gray area, and he's being textbook-Korean shady, but I wouldn't call it fraud.
Jeff's Cigarettes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's well known in the heart of darkness that the owner has a chronic gambling addiction. Has for years.
caniff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fool and his money are soon parted.
RACETRAITOR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philipjames wrote:
RACETRAITOR wrote:

Then why are there several tip jars in the bar? I've heard the rumours too and I no longer tip when I go there. Tips are for the staff, not the owner. Any pub owner in Itaewon knows that.

Mr. Jung has all the moral fiber of a hogwan owner.

It's a foreign bar. Probably a week after it opened, they got tired of foreigners trying to give them tips, so they just put out a tip jar. And I bet none of the staff care that they don't get tips, because they don't get tips anywhere else.
caniff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RACETRAITOR wrote:
I bet none of the staff care that they don't get tips, because they don't get tips anywhere else.

No, I feel safe in the belief that they would gladly take the money if the boss wasn't constantly swiping it. I'd call that a no-brainer.
tiger fancini

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff's Cigarettes wrote:
It's well known in the heart of darkness that the owner has a chronic gambling addiction. Has for years.

Heart of darkness my arse. Itaewon is about as dark as interior lighting exhibition held at COEX. In one of the big halls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: