Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which universities are you waiting on?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krshearman74

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbpatlanta wrote:
Are there any advantages of being a uni teacher, not uniwon, besides the long vacation times?

Close to 5 months of paid vacation is nothing to sneeze at as far as benefits go. And that's not including the fact that most people at a uni only teach 3 or 4 days a week. If you consider this, the amount of work per year really becomes laughable. Also, if you get permission, most universities don't mind allowing the professors to do a certain amount of private work (as long as it does not interfere with their duties), which can significantly increase your salary (not to mention overtime and summer camps that are offered at the university for additional compensation).

But it sounds like you've got a pretty sweet deal at the company.
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krshearman74 wrote:
jbpatlanta wrote:
Are there any advantages of being a uni teacher, not uniwon, besides the long vacation times?

Close to 5 months of paid vacation is nothing to sneeze at as far as benefits go. And that's not including the fact that most people at a uni only teach 3 or 4 days a week. If you consider this, the amount of work per year really becomes laughable. Also, if you get permission, most universities don't mind allowing the professors to do a certain amount of private work (as long as it does not interfere with their duties), which can significantly increase your salary (not to mention overtime and summer camps that are offered at the university for additional compensation).

But it sounds like you've got a pretty sweet deal at the company.

a lot of univs wont allow you to work side gigs in fact i've known some univs to fire people for working side gigs. a couple of univs will allow side work if its not at a hogwon.

given this currency crisis and how low in dollars people are getting paid, i know of several people who are going to go to their admins to get them to allow them work just in order to pay their bills back home
krshearman74

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbpatlanta wrote:
a lot of univs wont allow you to work side gigs in fact i've known some univs to fire people for working side gigs. a couple of univs will allow side work if its not at a hogwon.

given this currency crisis and how low in dollars people are getting paid, i know of several people who are going to go to their admins to get them to allow them work just in order to pay their bills back home

Ummm, that's why I said "if you get permission" in my post. My uni does allow side gigs, as long as you go through the proper channels, get approval and get the addendum to your ARC that immigration requires. Considering the way the economy is, more universities will probably start allowing this in order to make up for the devaluation of the won.
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talking to a friend of mine this afternoon, no MA but years at univs, he cant get an interview or ones that are interested pay crap

now except for the big 3 you are looking at offers with 2002 salaries at a 1997 exchange rate with 2008 cost of living. not good for people to say the least.

what stinks is there will be people more than willing to take these jobs, look at the univs that advertised today, those salaries are an insult for what they want
The_Source

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look with pity on those who accept these sorry university positions. Prestige? I think not.

As for the long vacations, more & more universities are moving towards having their teachers work during much of the vacation (at no additional pay, of course). It may not be in their ads, but when their contracts say that the teacher MAY be required to perform extra duties during the vacations, MAY = WILL. It's only a matter of time before all universities do this.
ddeubel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The employment terms at Ewha's TESOL Grad School Program were pretty dissapointing when they came out. I thought they were going to pay a more competitive wage. I've talked to a couple of the profs affiliated with the new program, and they really want to hire Ph.D.s. Too bad they aren't paying enough and can't match the extras provided by other, more competitive universities and departments.

Rather than being a holy grail position for the most qualified and experienced, the TESOL program is shaping up to be yet another stepping stone. Don't know what they're offering for a Ph.D., though.

Oh, and one upside is that they probably won't enforce any term limits.

Pragic,

thanks, I was asked about this position and really had nothing to relate. It is a pity that practical, teaching oriented degrees like this are not hiring with a more practical/classroom experience bent, in mind. As you suggest, I also think many MA TESOL programs here in Korea don't have the qualified people teaching that they should. From my perspective. Might be that they won't pay top dollar or really just aren't skilled/knowledgeable enough to round up the right staff. Personally, I wouldn't have anyone without at least 8 years diverse ESL / EFL teaching experience, teaching in these programs. Irregardless of degree.

There are a few nice jobs in Korea posted on the TEFL job board. That usually means they are more serious minded about applicants, me thinks (ad costs are more and they reach a wider audience). Check them HERE on the left

DD
http://eflclassroom.ning.com
bassexpander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ddeubel"]
Quote:

There are a few nice jobs in Korea posted on the TEFL job board. That usually means they are more serious minded about applicants, me thinks (ad costs are more and they reach a wider audience). Check them HERE on the left

DD

I certainly hope that individual got permission to post the ads from those other sites. I'd be right pissed-off, if I owned one of those web pages. It's one thing to have your own convenient page for personal use. It's yet another to distribute it openly as an extension of your own site.

Dave's is one of them. Did you get permission from Dave and those other sites to do that? I wonder what Dave would think?
hugekebab

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bassexpander"]
ddeubel wrote:
Quote:

DD

I certainly hope that individual got permission to post the ads from those other sites. I'd be right pissed-off, if I owned one of those web pages. It's one thing to have your own convenient page for personal use. It's yet another to distribute it openly as an extension of your own site.

Dave's is one of them. Did you get permission from Dave and those other sites to do that? I wonder what Dave would think?

You really want that moderating job, don't you?
real merry hijackers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassexpander aka lars ulrich.
are you serious? it's an aggregator.
its helpful.
who cares what dave thinks.
you should go write a strongly worded letter to google news.
DrunkenMaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddeubel said irregardless!
offtheoche

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Moderators Reply with quote

Mods,

Any chance of deleting some of the rubbish/off topic crap written on this thread? Another excellent thread being ruined by the morons on here. Rolling Eyes

Now getting back on topic all.....which universities are you waiting on?
Thiuda

Location: Religion ist f�r Sklaven geschaffen, f�r Wesen ohne Geist.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back on topic.

I received an e-mail from the English Linguistics Department at HUFS this morning and it stated:

Quote:
The application has been closed as of November 20. We have received about 160 applications from home and abroad. We are in the process of prescreening the documents to select about 10 applicants for an interview. This decision will be notified on or around 25th of November. The interviews will take place between 27th of November and early December depending on the circumstances of the interview panel and the applicants. If the applicant cannot come in for a vis-a-vis interview for being overseas, we will interview by phone. The final decision will be available shortly after the last interview.

10 out of 160. Less than 10%!

I've been pleasantly surprised by HUFS. They've sent me a confirmation e-mail, as well as the above update. Not a single other university has done this. Kudos to HUFS.
krshearman74

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Moderators Reply with quote

offtheoche wrote:
Mods,

Any chance of deleting some of the rubbish/off topic crap written on this thread? Another excellent thread being ruined by the morons on here. Rolling Eyes

Now getting back on topic all.....which universities are you waiting on?

Sorry offtheoche, guess I did get off-topic with one of my posts, I was answering another poster's question Embarassed

I will stick to the topic - had an interview at Dongguk on Friday. It seemed to go pretty well, we shall see.... They are supposed to make final decisions next week.
makemischief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bassexpander"]
ddeubel wrote:
Quote:

DD

Bass man- you know I have nothing but good things to day about you, but DUDE- way off base on this one.

Public aggregators are EVERYWHERE. Random example: http://web20.originalsignal.com/

Besides- you have to click on the link and go to the originating site for full details- if anything it drives more traffic to the sites by making choice jobs easily accessible. Whether there are any quality jobs on the page is another matter- but yah. wow. way way off in Luddite land on this one Very Happy
Hyosung650

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Dongguk is advertising again this morning, did anyone actually get offered a position there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 3 of 25

Jump to: