Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which universities are you waiting on?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KoreanAmbition

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calicoe,

Contact them and explain the situation.

Tell them you were flying here on those dates SPECIFICALLY for that interview. Ask them to bump it forward and help you. I think you have a legit chance at getting some assistance from them.
hajima 99

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calicoe- I would defnitely call them as KorAmb suggested. Chung-Ang has called their potential candidates, and I can confirm that it is a very short "short-list," so you stand a good chance of getting in if you can make it! Good luck!
calicoe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KA. I am actually here, in Korea, and am flying home for a visit in January. I held off my ticket and vacation time for a possible interview in the second week, and will be in the U.S. by the third week.

In the email letter, they said their interview dates are firm and cannot be changed. I will not be jobless, because my public school has asked me to renew, but I thought if possible I would try an interview.

They said they have 50 people interviewing. I was a little slow getting it all together this year, and didn't get my transcripts until late, but I think I will be stronger in the next cycle. I was happy to get bites on everything I sent out, except Cheongju University.

I can wait.

Thank you for your feedback.

edit: And thanks, Hajima. The letter said 50 candidates.

edit again: OK, you guys have me thinking. I'm going to see if something can be done. If I change my flight, then I only have 2 weeks home as opposed to three, and "almost 50 candidates": is a lot.

But, I'll let you know.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!
hajima 99

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd, maybe they're hiring in a couple departments then? I heard the short-list was less than ten, and I didn't receive a letter (heard by phone).

This is kind of funny Calicoe. If I recall correctly, a month or so ago I was trying to encourage you to give the applications another go since there were still tons of openings! Here we go again Wink
ponyo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a friend interviewing at chung-ang on january 8. she said they mentioned interviews would be conducted all day. maybe you should request a time on that date...
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calicoe wrote:
Got an interview invite to Chung-Ang two days ago. They scheduled people for the third week in January. Their job ad said the second week, so I budgeted my time for that and arranged my plane ticket.

Say good-bye to that one. Confused

I would STILL go in and try to talk to someone. After all you have your plane ticket and everything. What have you go to lose?
ponyo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just spoke to my friend again, and she said the interview is with the english education department. she was notified by a professor ho.
calicoe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, and congratulations to you, Naturegirl.

Yeah, Ponyo, it was a professor Choe, from the Division of General Education. I heard via email. No one contacted me by phone.

I am thinking that the people higher on the list got earlier interviews, or phone calls ... ? Anyway, it does sound like they have quite a few interviews, if your friend's interview is on the 8th and mine is more than a week later.

Anyway, I will give a call first as you all suggested.

Thanks again!
ponyo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, calicoe, it looks like the interviews are for different departments (general ed. vs. english ed.) and being organized by different professors (choe vs. ho). that might account for the different interview dates....
calicoe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaah, that sheds some light. Thanks Ponyo.

edit: At first, I thought that you may have remembered the professor's name incorrectly. I don't recall seeing a different job ad for Chung-Ang, but I wasn't checking all the time.

Thanks again.
ponyo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found 3 different ads from chung-ang in the last month:
http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=39964
http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=40269
http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=40250

looks like the one you have an interview for is quite different (salary and contracted work hours higher) than the one my friend is interviewing for.
calicoe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Your friend's potential gig looks pretty sweet.
umpittse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krshearman74 wrote:
purple_buddha wrote:
An advanced degree or even an undergraduate degree in the proper field (e.g., education, English, TESOL, etc.) conferred at a prestigious, Western institution seems to outstrip experience here

Oh, how I wish this were so...

I have a BA in English from a university that consistently ranks within the top 20 in the U.S. I have 3 years of university level teaching experience in Korea and I am well on my way (in the process of writing my thesis) to having and MA in English. I have had 5 interviews and no offers. It seems that the powers that be have decided that having a TESOL certificate from some shack in Thailand is more important than a 4 year degree in English ... Please excuse my rant.

I was in a similar situation last year. At that time, I had a B.Sc and B.Ed., and had just completed the requirements for my M.Ed. But, would not have the actual degree (in-hand) until graduation, which was 2 months away. Additionally, at that time, I was in the process of completing my CTESL (a 200 hour face-to-face program in Canada certified by TESL Canada). At that time, I applied for uni jobs but was turned down repeatedly. It wasn't until I had my actual degree in-hand and I was able to send copies of it that the offers starting coming in. Bottom line, they really want the actual paper copy of the credential in hand. Near completion means very little to the universities.
hajima 99

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umpittse wrote:
krshearman74 wrote:
purple_buddha wrote:
An advanced degree or even an undergraduate degree in the proper field (e.g., education, English, TESOL, etc.) conferred at a prestigious, Western institution seems to outstrip experience here

Oh, how I wish this were so...

I have a BA in English from a university that consistently ranks within the top 20 in the U.S. I have 3 years of university level teaching experience in Korea and I am well on my way (in the process of writing my thesis) to having and MA in English. I have had 5 interviews and no offers. It seems that the powers that be have decided that having a TESOL certificate from some shack in Thailand is more important than a 4 year degree in English ... Please excuse my rant.

I was in a similar situation last year. At that time, I had a B.Sc and B.Ed., and had just completed the requirements for my M.Ed. But, would not have the actual degree (in-hand) until graduation, which was 2 months away. Additionally, at that time, I was in the process of completing my CTESL (a 200 hour face-to-face program in Canada certified by TESL Canada). At that time, I applied for uni jobs but was turned down repeatedly. It wasn't until I had my actual degree in-hand and I was able to send copies of it that the offers starting coming in. Bottom line, they really want the actual paper copy of the credential in hand. Near completion means very little to the universities.

While what you say is probably true in many cases, I would just like to vouch for the fact that offers can be received even if you don't have the paper copy in hand. I recently completed my masters overseas, do not yet have my diploma, nor official up-to-date postgraduate transcripts and still got interviews and offers (I was finished my course, just did not have the necessary certificates to prove it). So it can be done, but as you said, it certainly doesn't help!

It may have helped that I flew to Korea and made it clear that I was doing so for the interview period in my cover letters, but one should not allow the fact that they don't have the degree in hand discourage them from applying during Korean university hiring season. Don't waste another six months waiting for the next one to roll around if you have completed your courses and are just waiting for "the ceremony." You have a chance.

I do suggest that anybody in a similar situation look into applying for "early graduation in absentia" if need be as soon as their final grade is in. Just because your graduation ceremony is scheduled months after your results are in, does not mean you can't get your diploma early. Universities can often confer degrees before then if required. I know my university for example does this in the first week of every month. This of course means that I forfeit my invitation to my actual class-graduation ceremony n March. Sometimes, sacrifices need to be made.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hajima 99 wrote:
krshearman74 wrote:

While what you say is probably true in many cases, I would just like to vouch for the fact that offers can be received even if you don't have the paper copy in hand. I recently completed my masters overseas, do not yet have my diploma, nor official up-to-date postgraduate transcripts and still got interviews and offers (I was finished my course, just did not have the necessary certificates to prove it). So it can be done, but as you said, it certainly doesn't help!.

You might try unigwon. I had 8 interviews. 4 job offers and I'm not even in Korea. I'm only 27, so don't have TONS of experience either.

About the degree in hand. Only 6 more months and I'll have it!! take about a year to process. I finished my thesis in Feb. it was graded in Mar. I found out about the grade in May. My courses and everything were finalised in June. I was told about a fee in July which I paid. Surprise, you're degree costs an adidtional 700 usd! And counting from July I have 12 more months until I get my degree, which means about June of 2010.

All I need is a letter from my uni saying I graduated. BUt it has to be in English. Two months later, and I'm still waiting. Though I think I can get it translated into English. This is Spain. I'm sure unis from more organised countries will give you a letter saying that you've graduated and are simply waiting for the degree to be issued.

I will say that maybe my CV is decieving in that it says I finished in June 2009. Which I did, when I actually have my degree it wil say June 2009, despite the fact that I won't have it until June 2010, hopefully eariler though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 22 of 25

Jump to: