Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which universities are you waiting on?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knappylogic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Duksung Women's University (DILC) Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information about Duksung International Language Center? Does anyone work there?

And does anyone have any suggestions for a 5 minute teaching demonstration...what's the most important thing to demonstrate in that short of a time period?

Thanks...
calicoe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smiling helps. Remember not to talk too fast.
knappylogic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks naturegirl321, seems practical enough.

But what about the actual content of the 'lesson'....?

The demos I've done so far have been impromptu..."Teach conversation about ________. You have 15 minutes. Begin." Which was off-putting because I wasn't prepared, but at least I had some direction. I was offered positions..so apparently I didn't do poorly.

Whereas, "You will be expected to do a 5 minute teaching demonstration," ...seems real ambiguous...and well, short.

So, I was hoping some of you veterans could offer some tips about what a hiring committee is looking for during a 'prepared' demonstration of that length? Should I teach conversation? Should I do the first 5 minutes of a sample lesson plan I submitted with my application? Should I bring materials or just keep it simple?

Again, thanks for any help.
hajima 99

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knappylogic wrote:
Thanks naturegirl321, seems practical enough.

But what about the actual content of the 'lesson'....?

Whereas, "You will be expected to do a 5 minute teaching demonstration," ...seems real ambiguous...and well, short.

So, I was hoping some of you veterans could offer some tips about what a hiring committee is looking for during a 'prepared' demonstration of that length? Should I teach conversation? Should I do the first 5 minutes of a sample lesson plan I submitted with my application? Should I bring materials or just keep it simple?

Again, thanks for any help.

In those five minutes, I'd try to show them:

1) preparedness (ie. if you've got a lesson plan written out, have it on the desk in front of you, just don't carry it around as you're teaching of course. Is there any structure to your lesson? There should be. Even if it's only five minutes ie. introductory brainstorming, elicitation, using a "hook" etc. and building on those)

2) pedagogy (ie. what specific teaching approaches and skills do you bring to the table? Do you typically incorporate ICT, props etc.? How? So yes, bring in additional materials if appropriate! How do you pace your lessons, check for understanding during the lesson, questioning techniques etc.)

3) personality (ie. don't try to be a "dancing monkey" if that's just not your personality-type. If you are quite funny, charismatic, approachable, do everything you can to convey that to the assessors. They will be able to sense if you're trying to be someone you're not however, so that could be worse. Be yourself, but whatever you do at the very least try to exude the "illusion of confidence," even if you're actually shaking in your boots. The best experienced teachers should not be intimidated by these situations though if you ask me)

Importantly, find out what courses you would be teaching should they hire you. That is how you determine what to include ie. do not prepare a mini lesson in 'conversation,' if you are going to be teaching freshmen courses in 'composition' and 'presentation.' Call to find out these details if you don't know them. If it is a conversation course, select a current and engaging topic for university-aged students (ie. for one interview, I based my demo lesson on "Obama's visit to Korea," as it happened to be the very day of his arrival in Seoul).

Hope that helps.
ddeubel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hajima,

Excellent points and I'm sure helpful to everyone! Keep doing this....

DD
http://eflclassroom.com
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Hajima!
knappylogic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hajima...

Thank you for taking the time to give such a thoughtful response. Much appreciated and very helpful.
hajima 99

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knappylogic wrote:
Hajima...

Thank you for taking the time to give such a thoughtful response. Much appreciated and very helpful.

You're very welcome. Let us know how it goes. It's helpful for everybody to hear about as many different universities' interview approaches as possible.
calicoe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thank you Hajima, Naturegirl, Korean Ambition and others.

You all have been incredibly helpful.
OculisOrbis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any info about conditions at Jungwon University? I could only find one semi-review that was a little old and it was not very positive.
thanks
knappylogic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As requested..an update.

So the interview was pretty painless. I took Hajima's advice and used a semi-current conversation topic (using present progressive to discuss New Year's Resolutions). They seemed engaged and asked a lot of questions about the lesson and some 'what if' scenarios.

I was a little nervous. I felt a little unqualified after meeting the 'competition' in the waiting room, but I don't have any regrets. I did my best, and I felt confident due to the advice everyone offered. (Thanks again.) Final decisions will be made this week. I'll report back.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knappylogic wrote:
I was a little nervous. I felt a little unqualified after meeting the 'competition' in the waiting room, but I don't have any regrets. I did my best, and I felt confident due to the advice everyone offered. (Thanks again.) Final decisions will be made this week. I'll report back.

When do you find out about the results?

What was the competition like?
knappylogic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final decisions will be made on Friday.

The 'competition' has been in Korea for 5+ years, are in Masters programs, have university experience, and are white men.

To contrast: I have been in Korea less than a year, have a Bachelor's Degree (no certificates), no university experience, and I'm a non-white woman.

EDIT: Naturegirl, your site was really helpful as well. Thank you for your efforts.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never know. If you interviewed well, you might get the job. Don't forget that the other people might also have other offers, or get other offers, so they might drop out and youcould get the job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 23 of 25

Jump to: