Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Universities Have You Applied For in 2011?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: What Universities Have You Applied For in 2011? Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Thought it would be a good idea to satart this thread so that, we can inform each other when interviews and university job offers have been sent out.

Presently, I'm two years at my current uni and am happy enough but saying that I've just applied for a position at Yeungnam University

Good luck all.
offtheoche

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehwa Women's University......so far.

Will probably apply for one or two more universities before the end of the month.
Illysook

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When should one apply for a university position? I have a master's degree in HR and when I finish my contract in June, I will have two years of experience. The first was at a hagwon, the second a high school. I'd like to get a CELTA this summer.

I really wouldn't mind staying where I'm at for another year, but advancing to the next level and/or increasing my earnings is highly desirable to me.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is Yeungnam now? I've heard they've had some issues in the recent past.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illysook wrote:
When should one apply for a university position? I have a master's degree in HR and when I finish my contract in June, I will have two years of experience. The first was at a hagwon, the second a high school. I'd like to get a CELTA this summer.

I really wouldn't mind staying where I'm at for another year, but advancing to the next level and/or increasing my earnings is highly desirable to me.

As soon as the job adverts start coming out. And they've been out for more than a couple of weeks.
Tamada

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump.
TECO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a lot of good threads on this subject previously posted here.

although i can understand your wanting up-to-date info.

everyone is hiring - it's just 'how many' is the question.

...and who do you know, unfortunately, for the newbies.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though honestly, sees like pay is going down and hours are going up. The Yonsei job in Wonju looks decent, if you like nature.
Tamada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided that I want to remain at my current uni for one more year, so won't be interviewing this time round.

So ....anyone care to share any updates?
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw 400 people applied for 14 postitions at kyungwan univ talk about competitive
cj1976

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been here for nearly 5 years and I have never even been close to finding a uni job. I guess my biggest problem is I don't have a master degree, but I've met people here teaching at unis with just a BA.
If anyone can give me a push in the right direction, please do. I've had enough of teaching public schools. Sad
toonchoon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Though honestly, sees like pay is going down and hours are going up. The Yonsei job in Wonju looks decent, if you like nature.

...and more jobs are requiring a MA.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
I've been here for nearly 5 years and I have never even been close to finding a uni job. I guess my biggest problem is I don't have a master degree, but I've met people here teaching at unis with just a BA.
If anyone can give me a push in the right direction, please do. I've had enough of teaching public schools. Sad

Get a MA.

That will put you in the game.

The university I worked for in Busan received 500 applications for 6 positions. From what I have been told by friends I have on the hiring committee, the bulk of applicants have a MA in a TEFL-ESL related field or in Education and experience in Korea. The vast majority of applicants are also IN Korea.

So what happens next, typically, is that a lot of applications will get tossed out if they do not have a MA or even if they have a MA but in an unrelated field.
toonchoon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:

Get a MA.

The university I worked for in Busan received 500 applications for 6 positions. From what I have been told by friends I have on the hiring committee, the bulk of applicants have a MA in a TEFL-ESL related field or in Education and experience in Korea. The vast majority of applicants are also IN Korea.

So what happens next, typically, is that a lot of applications will get tossed out if they do not have a MA or even if they have a MA but in an unrelated field.

not always. some unis like to hire peeps with degrees from famous unis and not just some back-alley, "C"-grade uni like the "Washington State University" Also, a BA from a university that is named "_____________ College" might get your resume tossed just cos of the name. Also, it's my experience, as a former recruiter in the states (not ESL recruiter;) that 95% of those in their 20's can't write a decent resume. Couple that with the fact that a lot of uni's will NOT hire those in their early/mid 20's, and it's not hard to narrow down from 500apps. Just because an applicant meets/exeeds the job specs does NOT mean their resume will get looked at.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toonchoon wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:

Get a MA.

not always. some unis like to hire peeps with degrees from famous unis and not just some back-alley uni. for instance, a BA from a university that is named "_____________ College" might get your resume tossed just cos of the name. Also, it's my experience, as a former recruiter in the states (not ESL recruiter;) that 95% of those in their 20's can't write a decent resume. Couple that with the fact that a lot of uni's will NOT hire those in their early/mid 20's, and it's not hard to narrow down from 500apps. Just because an applicant meets/exeeds the job specs does NOT mean their resume will get looked at.

Considering current market trends in Korean ESL, the odds of landing a University position without a MA are low. It can happen for the smaller colleges or technical schools but still, you are better served with a MA.

My experience of a few years on the hiring committee of a Korean University (and that was before the market became so competetive) was that people without a MA, not matter how well they presented themselves, ended up in the rejection pile.

Unigwons and smaller colleges are a different story however.

I do agree that most people in their 20s seem unable to present a proper resume. Sadly, a lot of people in their 30s have the same problem.

You are also right that that 500 applications gets sifted through pretty fast. I was however discussion the dominant traits of the applicants. A few years ago, a hiring process would see fewer applications in total AND the applicants would be made up of a a lot of BA holders.

As far as what applicants get selected, if they met the requirements, they made it to the next phase. If they exceeded the requirements too much, they typically got rejected for being over qualified. If however they did not meet the requirements, they were automatically tossed out, no matter what University they attended as undergrads.

Last edited by PatrickGHBusan on Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: