Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Having a Hard Time finding a Job...HELP!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
optik404

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Having a Hard Time finding a Job...HELP! Reply with quote

Just to clear a few things up first. I have my F visa already, all documents, mid-20's, thin, neat preppy style, etc...

I've been in Seoul for three weeks now and have been emailing job listings from the Worknplay job board and the one on Dave's.

Have gone through a bunch of recruiters, some don't bother replying and the ones that do...all the job offers I get are outside of Seoul. Every now and then I get a offer in Seoul...but when I look up the school info, they have a bad rep, so thats a no-go. I've had several interviews in Seoul, but all with schools with bad reps. And the other interviews I get offered are very far.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Should I walk-in to hagwons in the area I want to work at and drop off my resume?

Crying or Very sad
yingwenlaoshi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I can help you, but when you find the solution to your problem you could you let me in on it?
Chet Wautlands

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem, except I am in Canada and I will be going on an E2 visa. All the jobs seem to be for schools that have really bad reputations. I'm surprised that recruiters aren't getting back to me either. I'm sure it'll work itself out, but it's an annoying process.

I don't want to work 4 hours out of Seoul again.
SharkDiver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had times where recruitrers do and don't reply. Just depends. Just use the shotgun approach and keep sending off your resume to tons of recruiters and schools. Even if one sounds good and you are negotiating keep sending because you never know. If you have your vulnerable sector search already notarized by a public notary and the Korean Embassy in hand and ready to go, say this in your email letter. I just write in uppercase that I am available IMMEDIATELY.

The new E2 laws make things bottle neck and slow the process down.

As for being right in Seoul and having probs finding work, I'll say that it does seem that there are more jobs in the surrounding areas very near Seoul than right in Seoul. I think you outta bypass the recruiter where possible as you can potentially get a better deal. You are right in that you should just go directly to the hagwon and drop of you resume. You can then get an idea of what the boss and place is like too (as well as talk to foreigners there who can give you inside info).

Now it just takes a bit more time than before.
optik404

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to hear other people are in the same boat. most of my offers are in gyeonngido, right at the border of Seoul. in rural areas like gwaechon.

I know its not very far, but most of the jobs offered to me are evening classes (4-10ish) I don't want to have to wait till the weekends to have a bit of fun. if the subway was 24hrs, then this wouldnt be that big of a deal.

oh well, ill give it another month or two.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
good to hear other people are in the same boat. most of my offers are in gyeonngido, right at the border of Seoul. in rural areas like gwaechon.

I know its not very far, but most of the jobs offered to me are evening classes (4-10ish) I don't want to have to wait till the weekends to have a bit of fun. if the subway was 24hrs, then this wouldnt be that big of a deal.

oh well, ill give it another month or two.

IF you want to work in a hakwon and don't want Kindy then you WILL be working either split shifts (early and late) with adults or after school 3-10pm).

IF you want day shift, find a public school.

Chet Wautlands

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what he's saying is that he wouldn't mind a hagwon job from 4-10 or similar, but only if it's in Seoul. Being even sixty minutes outside of Seoul really limits what you can do.

Last year I was in a town "30 minutes from Busan!" Unfortunately, it was more like 40-60 depending on traffic, and then travel in Busan... essentially you couldn't do anything in Busan unless it was the weekend.
samcheokguy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a gyopo? That makes it harder to find a job. You didn't say WHICH F visa you had so I'm thinking you have a pure-blood visa.
nomad-ish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look into public schools. i don't think SMOE is hiring at the moment for seoul, but you could find a position in one of the bordering cities here. although a lot of crap is written about public schools (by me too), it's still generally a safe and relatively comfortable bet. and if you find one that blows, you've always got that F series visa to change jobs with
KumaraKitty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say that there are a lot of jobs here in Sang-Dong, Bucheon right now. We are a newer suburb, and I've lived here for 5 years. There is a great expat bar here called Rhythm and Booze, http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=43398303288 which could satisfy that "fun" requirement. There are all the Western chain restaurants you could want here, as well as some independent Cafes and restaurants. Della Casa makes amazing Pasta, Cafe Nicoliahttp://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=2304342385 has import beers and is a European style bistro run by an expat and his wife, Anapurna has excellent curry made by a Nepalese man and his wife, etc. We also have lots of big parks, Hyundai Department store, GS Department store, Homever, Emart, Home Plus, and Save Zone. Express buses leave from here to Hongdae(45 min ride) and Gangnam(50min ride) and there is a big brand new bus terminal with buses to all over Korea.
By subway, we're closest to Songnae Station, line #1. You can get the express train from there to Yongsan several times an hour. That gets you to Yongsan in about 25 minutes. A taxi from their to Itaewon takes maybe 10minutes.
I know that everyone wants to be in Seoul, but we are in the metropolitan area and not in the sticks of Seoul. You may want to check it out. I also have a photo album of life in Bucheon, so PM if you want to know anymore.
Cheers!
SharkDiver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optik 404,

As I was saying earlier it's best to have at least two job possibilities going at the same time. Only a few hours after I wrote, one of the offers I had gotten and had been negotiating the details on fell through when I questioned their withholding money, which is illegal. Luckily I had another to fall back on. Also, when you have more than one offer going you'll feel less reluctant to question them.
jadarite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chet Wautlands wrote:
I'm surprised that recruiters aren't getting back to me either.

That's their tactic. They have several school offerings, but they will only feed you one at a time or only 1. Another thing they like to do is offer you a good position, which I doubt ever exists, and then when you show interest they offer another position which isn't nearly as good as the first.
BrianInSuwon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, its your physical appearance. The photo is usually the only part of the resume that gets evaluated.
yeremy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Getting a job Reply with quote

It sounds to me that you aren't getting the job you want and that you're new to teaching English. Many people want to live and work in Seoul but they usually have paid their dues with a year or so elsewhere and then they timed their move wisely. Why don't you consider taking a job outside of Seoul? If you're a real newbie, you'll have to pay some dues before you can probably go after the better jobs.

How are your references? Are those people going to give you a good reference or are they sabotaging you?

How is your resume? You shouldn't use a western style resume but an EFL one. Most EFL resumes are one page deals unless you have extensive experience, a professional degree, publications and have given presentations at professional conferences, trainings and orientations, etc. If you don't know what an EFL or ESL resume looks like try a search and then follow the format. Contrary to what another poster wrote, employers do read resumes, rather they have their resident foreigner read and screen them for them. I used to do it at two other jobs but not at my current job.

I do agree with another poster that your picture could be a problem, but you can fix that with having your picture taken professionally.

Going around and dropping your resume wherever you want to work just by walking around can work. I've heard of people doing it, but they weren't hired. If you want to work in a public school, you'll probably have to go through a recruiter unless it's a private public school or not part of EPIK, GEPIK or SMOE.

As far as recruiters go, I suggest that you try Korvia. Ann Park is a really good recruiter. She has placed more than a few marginal to excellent candidates and she's more honest than most recruiters, too.

As someone else hinted, you have not given us a lot of info so we could really try to help you. Good luck if you choose not to.
daskalos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Getting a job Reply with quote

yeremy wrote:
How is your resume? You shouldn't use a western style resume but an EFL one. Most EFL resumes are one page deals unless you have extensive experience, a professional degree, publications and have given presentations at professional conferences, trainings and orientations, etc. If you don't know what an EFL or ESL resume looks like try a search and then follow the format. Contrary to what another poster wrote, employers do read resumes, rather they have their resident foreigner read and screen them for them. I used to do it at two other jobs but not at my current job.

From my recent experience, this is sound advice. I applied and applied with my previous resume, which had landed me a job in Seoul a couple years ago, but was getting no response from anyone this time. I did what Yeremy suggests here, and I suddenly had a rather full dance card. I'm sure I'm not nearly as pretty as you are, and I'm old, but this one revamp made all the difference, and I got pretty much exactly the job I wanted. (I'm not in Seoul, but I could have been.)

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: