Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rice cookers - what's the craic?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
le-paul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: rice cookers - what's the craic? Reply with quote

Ive been living here for a while and avoided 'using' but Im loosing to domestic/peer pressure to start...

So, a couple of quick questions;

1/ How long can you leave the rice in the cooker (heated of course) before it becomes unhealthy (I mean bacteria)?

2/ Is it expensive (electric) to keep them running all the time?

3/ Whats the ideal temp. to keep them running at (I learned 75 degrees for hygiene when I was cheffing)?

Cheers

(and feel free to add me to the 'dumb questions' thread Wink)
Vianca

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/ How long can you leave the rice in the cooker (heated of course) before it becomes unhealthy (I mean bacteria)?

2/ Is it expensive (electric) to keep them running all the time?

3/ Whats the ideal temp. to keep them running at (I learned 75 degrees for hygiene when I was cheffing)?

-----> Hi

1/ Right after being cooked, I let it cool after turning off the electricity, and once it cooled off, I put it in the refrigerator. But I seal the rice in the vinyl bag to keep the moisture, so that the rice becomes not dry later.
Or I put also the cooked rice into the freezer, and use microwave for reheating later.

2, 3/ I think it will consume lots of electricity, and the rice becomes dry and YELLOW soon. Storaging it cool or freezing keeps the cooked rice fresh for long time.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife has left ours on for about 5 days and continues to eat from it. I haven't gotten any ill affects from it so far. It has to be on, so if it gets turned off the rice will go bad quickly.
le-paul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both of you.

So I suppose the message here is, consume within three days regardless (unless frozen).
optik404

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine lasts about three days. If you buy a cheap cooker, the rice will only last a day.
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
Mine lasts about three days. If you buy a cheap cooker, the rice will only last a day.

I think it must surely be more economical to cook it on a low gas/1 cm of water method and then refrigerate it - especially if its going to go bad after 3 days anyway.
It seems like a waste of electric.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to take the plunge, invest in a Japanese rice cooker.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually refrigerate the rice after I have turned off the cooker and allowed the rice to cool down a bit. However, there have been times that I have forgotten to put it away before going to bed for the night. Most of the time I have still eaten it, especially in the winter when the room temperature of my apartment was still relatively cool. That, and the fact that those cookers are pretty air tight anyway. Never had a problem.

By the way, people who like to cook their own fried rice always use the day old rice, not the fresh.
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:

By the way, people who like to cook their own fried rice always use the day old rice, not the fresh.

I saw a tip on a cookery show recently. He reckoned the best way to make a good fried rice, was to wash it (hot water) after its been cooked.
ai haven't tried it yet but it was higher on the aesthetic scale than anything Ive ever managed.
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:

Why? Are they better?
optik404

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Japanese ones are really nice. But if you're going to be cooking only white rice, you don't really need an expensive Japanese one.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, you know that you are supposed to rinse rice several times before cooking to remove the excess starch(and in some cases talc), right?

I did not know this when I first started cooking rice for myself - well, actually I did know but did not think it was a big deal. Well, it is a big deal, at least to my Korean girlfriend, who could not believe I was omitting that step, and she gave me hell for it. Subsequent research on my part made me realize it is definitely good to do.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days in the winter is fine. Maybe 2 days in the summer. Also, supposedly with some of the new pressure rice-cookers you don't need to clean the rice.

But if you're feeding a Korean woman she will give you hell for not washing the rice. Woman always wash the rice. A Korean guy will hardly care and essentially eat anything put in front of him.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
Died By Bear wrote:

Why? Are they better?

Not only better, they last forever. Korean rice cookers are just not as good. They have 'planned obsolesence' goin' on - the lifespan just sucks balls.

Zojirushi is a great rice cooker. It cooks rice perfect, and fluffy...

Made in Japan. Check it out. This is the one we have:

NP-GBC05
The 3-cup capacity Induction Heating (IH) System Rice Cooker & Warmer is ideal for singles and smaller families. It cooks as little as 1/2-cup of rice and takes up minimal space. Superior IH technology efficiently prepares flawless rice every time.

•Superior induction heating (IH) technology
•3 cup size ideal for singles and smaller families
•Easy-to-clean clear coated stainless steel exterior
•Detachable and washable inner lid
•Automatic keep warm
•Delay timer (2 settings)
•Menu settings include: white/mixed, sushi, porridge, brown, GABA brown, rinse-free and quick cooking
•cETLus listed, tested to comply with FCC standards
•Made in Japan
Adam Carolla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good God...you all will owe me forever for this information.

The "rice cooker" in actuality is an "electric pressure cooker."

What's the significance of this?

Well, there are a million recipes on the internet for electric pressure cookers. And many, many of them are amazing. The rice cooker, aka the electric pressure cooker are basically really, really, fast crockpots. They make everything a crockpot can make in a fraction of the time. Take a look at what's out there and then when you try out those recipes, feel free to send a few shekels my way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: