Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Your resignation is unreasonable."
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Easter Clark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: "Your resignation is unreasonable." Reply with quote

Just got word from my principal that I "can't" resign--that I have to finish out the remainder of my contract. This coming after a meeting two weeks ago where we fleshed out the details of my resignation (although to be fair, the principal wasn't there). Gave my two months' and have done my best to be amicable. Now he says he won't give me my letter of release. Of course a call to Dain Bae will have that sorted (in theory anyway).

Anyone ever had a boss that told them "You can't quit." ?
maingman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: , Reply with quote

as of 515 pm ( today) Thursday-
after about an hour earlier saying to the head teachr I needed to speak
to my boss about my CONTRACT ( so fairly urgent_) IMO

Im having to wait till Monday *because he's busy tommorow
So my boss does give some slack./ and care for me..not
jadarite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much time do you really have left on the contract? If it's a few months, I would just leave and either wait it out or come back on a tourist visa. It's not a good time to leave with the economy being so bad, but if you got to go you got to go.

To better understand your situation, you might want to tell us what was unreasonable. Even though it seems like you have tried your best, there might be something someone here has experienced also and be able to help you with.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: "Your resignation is unreasonable." Reply with quote

Easter Clark wrote:
Just got word from my principal that I "can't" resign--that I have to finish out the remainder of my contract. This coming after a meeting two weeks ago where we fleshed out the details of my resignation (although to be fair, the principal wasn't there). Gave my two months' and have done my best to be amicable. Now he says he won't give me my letter of release. Of course a call to Dain Bae will have that sorted (in theory anyway).

Anyone ever had a boss that told them "You can't quit." ?

Yes, and I promptly walked out the door and on the way out I said that I would be out of my house in an hour and finding a replacement was their problem.

They changed their mind in about 90 seconds and decided that 30 days notice was better than 30 seconds.

In regards to the LOR... unless you are planning to "TRANSFER" your current visa to a new job it isn't necessary any more.

Yu_Bum_suk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really sickening to see public schools (especially SMOE, for whom I'll never work for this very reason) using LOR refusals like hagwons. If I recall correctly, Easter, you said the contract was up in early spring? And you've been around a while and have presumably saved up some money. If I were you I'd be tempted to pack my things, not show up on Monday, and say that if they can't agree to part ways on respectable terms so be it. Then go spend a few months lying on the beach of whatever tropical country has the least unfavourable exchange rate these days.
seoulteacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: "Your resignation is unreasonable." Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:

In regards to the LOR... unless you are planning to "TRANSFER" your current visa to a new job it isn't necessary any more.

ttompatz, kindly elucidate, por favor...

eg. say a teacher resigns with adequate notice, to take effect at the end of month 7. Can that teacher, without an LOR, simply go start a new contract and new E2 from month 8 onwards? (ie. with another employer)
losing_touch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to speak on his behalf, but I have read a number of posts. I think that one could just go on down to immigration and explain the circumstances. Tell them that you quit. Then, you must ask for an exit order.
tefain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah if you've given notice, you should be able to walk.
yingwenlaoshi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. LOR's are only useful for transferring jobs without having to leave the country. So if you want to change jobs, you only need to get an exit order and have a sealed univeristy transcript. Of course you will need a criminal check, but if you already had that done for your current job, you don't need to apply for another one. Immigration has it.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: "Your resignation is unreasonable." Reply with quote

seoulteacher wrote:
ttompatz wrote:

ttompatz, kindly elucidate, por favor...

eg. say a teacher resigns with adequate notice, to take effect at the end of month 7. Can that teacher, without an LOR, simply go start a new contract and new E2 from month 8 onwards? (ie. with another employer)

Quit
go immediately to immigration and tell them that you quit.
INSIST on an exit order (thereby canceling your current visa and status of sojourn).
find a new job.
submit the documents for a new visa
get your visa confirmation number
do you visa run (before your 30 days expires)
start your new job.

As of Dec last year.

You only need the LOR if you want to TRANSFER without doing a visa run.
There are restrictions.

Easter Clark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Just to clarify: I have another job lined up. They want me to start in December, and they were going to just transfer my visa, which is why I wanted a LOR. I thought that GEPIK would require the school to give the teacher a LOR if they put in the standard 60 days' notice. Is this correct? If that's the case, then does anyone have Dain Bae's contact info?

My biggest fear is that they will refuse to give me one or refuse to cancel my visa, which would cause me to have to wait until my current visa expires (end of May, 2009) before I can come back, especially since I have wedding plans for the early part of the year (which is why I'm changing jobs, among other reasons).

So worst case scenario: Can I get an exit order fairly easily, if GEPIK won't require them to give my LOR?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easter Clark wrote:
So worst case scenario: Can I get an exit order fairly easily, if GEPIK won't require them to give my LOR?

YES.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your future spouse a Korean citizen?
Easter Clark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please bear with me here, as I am new to this kind of thing...

How exactly does one get an exit order--what documents will I need? How long do I have until I have to leave the country after getting an exit order? I guess the best thing to do then would be to first obtain my visa invitation letter from my new employer, apply for an exit order, then go to Fukuoka for a visa run, right?

Yes, my fiance is Korean. Why?
Whistleblower

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get your paperwork for marriage done early thus getting your F2 earlier. Then you would be able to just leave the job without a letter of release. Just chat to your fiance and see if she would like to go to the City Hall to register the marriage early and get your F2 for flexibility and try to pursuade her of the benefits and then put a deadline for your wedding for next year, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: