Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hong Kong/Chinese Visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SarcasmKills

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Hong Kong/Chinese Visa Reply with quote

On my way back from Australia I have a ridiculous layover in Hong Kong (something like 13 hours).. am I allowed to leave the airport and check out the city during this time without a visa? or am I confined to the airport?

I tried looking at the chinese embassy page but wasnt able to find anything that helped me...

any help would be appreciated!

such as, if I need a visa where/how do I get it?
Mosley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Hong Kong.... Reply with quote

I THINK you can leave the airport on a tourist visa, but I'd bloody well look into it to make sure. Most Western nationalities get an automatic 30 day tourist visa. Hope this helps a tad....
Go to a HK website... it still has autonomy from the PRC.
snowblind

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you should need to do is go through immigration as normal and get a 1-3 month stamp depending on your passport (British passport holders get 6 months). Don't get the train into the city, it's fast but expensive -plus you don't get to see as much. Follow the signs for the bus station. A bus is cheap, and should take about an hour. Look for Tsim Sha Tsui (Nathan road, Holiday inn, star ferry). Have a good time.
erlyn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Hong Kong has different visa rules than mainland China. You need a visa sorted before you go to Beijing, for example, but lots of countries can get a one month visa on landing in Hong Kong.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_4.htm

I assume you're Australian, so it looks like you get 90 days stamped at the airport.

Also, it seems like they actively encourage you to get out of the airport during long layovers - they've got a section devoted to it on their website. Check it out here:

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/mustknow/intransit/index.jhtml
calypso

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does an American need a visa to go to Hong Kong? Is it given at the airport in Hong Kong? What if the American is going on business?
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calypso wrote:
Does an American need a visa to go to Hong Kong? Is it given at the airport in Hong Kong? What if the American is going on business?

All western nationalities can get a tourist visa when they arrive at the Hong Kong international airport. (different rules from the mainland)

This used to be the case for mainland China. At the moment, all western nationalities, except Americans can easily get 1 to 3 month tourist visa upon arriving at an international airport in China.

As for Americans, thank our facist government, and their racist immigration policies for China's singling them out.
jjk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australians don't need a visa for HK- you get a 90 entry on arrival. If you enter HK more than 3 times a year, you can get an express entry card, which allows you to use the APEC/AIR CREW line at immigration- which is get at such a busy airport.

While the airport bus is cheap, the train is a better bet. It is 90HK$ for a one way trip, and to Kowloon it takes 20 mins. The bus takes well over an hour and costs 45HK$. If you are flying with Cathay though, there is a discount card on their homepage, which lets you get a return ticket for the price of a one way. This means that a round trip on the airport train then costs the same as the bus for the round trip.

There is a ton to do in HK for a layover of 13 hours, just remember, that you need to allow the tine to get back though the security and immigrationat the HK side getting back into the airport! Collect your HK to finnal destination boarding passes in Seoul- it saves a ton of time, and the upside is that you have then checked in about 20 hours before the flight leaves, meaning that you can get the best seats.
Swiss James

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JacktheCat"]
calypso wrote:

This used to be the case for mainland China. At the moment, all western nationalities, except Americans can easily get 1 to 3 month tourist visa upon arriving at an international airport in China.

Is this for definite? I'm going to Shanghai in a few weeks and am confused about the rules.

Confused
shawner88

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Swiss James"]
JacktheCat wrote:
calypso wrote:

Is this for definite? I'm going to Shanghai in a few weeks and am confused about the rules.

Confused

I heard all English people get interrogated in Shanghai and usually deported back to England.
Swiss James

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds pretty much like JFK then.
shawner88

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss James wrote:

So are you saying your thinking about bombing the airport?
shawner88

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss James wrote:

So are you saying your thinking about committing terrorism in the US? Cause that's what I'm hearing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: