Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living in Bundang (Jeongja-dong)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jillbean1217

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Living in Bundang (Jeongja-dong) Reply with quote

I know there have been various threads about living in Bundang. But, I have some specific questions that I'd like answered.

1). What kind of nightlife can I expect here? I'm kind of a weekend warrior...I don't do much during the week, but once the weekend comes out, I like to party, and pretty hard. I'm not ashamed of that. I like western style bars and some clubs too (hip-hop specifically). Is this a possibility in Bundang itself? Or will I have to go to Seoul?

2). Speaking of Seoul, can anyone tell me specifically how to get to Hongdae and Itaewon? I've heard you can take a subway and then an express bus, but I'd like some details if at all possible.

3). What kind of expat crowd is in Bundang? I know there are a lot of hagwons, so I'd assume there would be pretty many expats. I'm currently living in Daegu and leaving all my friends behind is kind of scary. I'm not a complete troll, so should it be pretty easy to make friends here?

4). What about western shopping? Can I find western products here? What about a Kyobo with an English section?

Okay...I think that's all. I'd love some responses from anyone who currently lives in Bundang.

Thanks!
clyde

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bundang is great. There aren't any hiphop clubs here unfortunately. Hongdae is better for that, or maybe Itaewon. There is a great place in Seohyeon which is 2 stops from you. Its called Dublin's. THere are pool tables and an open mic on Wednesdays. The bus to Seoul is about 30 mo\inutes and it costs less than 2 dollars. Lots of great people here too.
xCustomx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Living in Bundang (Jeongja-dong) Reply with quote

jillbean1217 wrote:
I know there have been various threads about living in Bundang. But, I have some specific questions that I'd like answered.

1). What kind of nightlife can I expect here? I'm kind of a weekend warrior...I don't do much during the week, but once the weekend comes out, I like to party, and pretty hard. I'm not ashamed of that. I like western style bars and some clubs too (hip-hop specifically). Is this a possibility in Bundang itself? Or will I have to go to Seoul?

2). Speaking of Seoul, can anyone tell me specifically how to get to Hongdae and Itaewon? I've heard you can take a subway and then an express bus, but I'd like some details if at all possible.

3). What kind of expat crowd is in Bundang? I know there are a lot of hagwons, so I'd assume there would be pretty many expats. I'm currently living in Daegu and leaving all my friends behind is kind of scary. I'm not a complete troll, so should it be pretty easy to make friends here?

4). What about western shopping? Can I find western products here? What about a Kyobo with an English section?

Okay...I think that's all. I'd love some responses from anyone who currently lives in Bundang.

Thanks!

1. Not much. There are bars and hofs all over, but you'll probably have to go to Monkey Beach or Dublin in Seohyun, which are where a lot of expats hang out. You'd be better off going to Seoul IMO

2. Catch an express at Seohyun. Take a bus like 9001, which will get you to Donguk University in about 20-25 minutes. Then get a local bus to Itaewon. It'll take about 35-40 minutes. Expect a 45-50 minute commute to Hongdae via bus and subway

3. There are a lot. Most are around Seohyun, Sunae and Jeongja. If you're looking for friends in Bundang, it won't be too hard. Get on facebook and join the Bundang Social Club.

4. There is a Gyobo bookstore at Seohyun, though the English section is limited. You can buy a lot of Western products at Samsung Plaza in Seohyun, Lotte Dept. Store in Sunae, or western food at I Love Cookie in Jeongja.

I've lived in Bundang for 4 years and really don't have any plans to move elsewhere. It's not as exciting as Seoul, but it's a hell of a lot cleaner, there are parks nearby, people are friendlier, students are usually easier to teach since many have studied abroad. If I want to get to Seoul, I can be in Gangnam in 30 minutes via bus or Hongdae within an hour.
ChinaBoy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go to Hongdae or Itaewon, just mention it to a couple of experienced coworkers and they'll likely have been there before and go with you to party if you're not sure of the directions.. well, who goes out alone, anyway...

but yeah, in Jeongja you're pretty close to Seohyun, which I think is probably best for Friday nights, as it's closer and a lot of people work late at hagwons. Many a Friday night is spent out all night after work getting home well after the sun came up.. close enough to walk home if you can't get a taxi, need to sober up a bit, or spent all your money!

Emart's a few blocks away across the river (along with a Burger King mmmmm....) I Love Cookie is in the Paragon complex (the smaller buildings diagonally across the street from the bigger Paragon building)
RACETRAITOR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any hip-hop scene in Apgujeong? That seems to be at least stereotypically where all the kiggers come from.
Whistleblower

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commute to Seoul quite often from Bundang and I live in Sunae (Royal Palace HouseVill) and it is a lovely place. This was the best place my family and I lived and with the parks nearby it is great.

I am moving back to the UK soon and to be honest, I have loved living in Bundang. People are friendly, everyone says hello when you enter a shop, and Seoul is nearby.

I shall be going to Dublin's on Friday night this week in Seohyun (yipee payday) so I hope to see some friendly expat faces.
bassexpander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The express subway line from Jeonja will be finished this year, so you'll get to Kangnam in like 15 mins with just a stop or two in between.

Nice.
Whistleblower

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassexpander wrote:
The express subway line from Jeonja will be finished this year, so you'll get to Kangnam in like 15 mins with just a stop or two in between.

Nice.

Yeah that's true but I won't be around to see this open. It will help commuting as it takes me around 45 minutes to get to Gangnam from Sunae.
aka Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Christmas Eve date dinner at Trattoria Olivia in Bundang. It was spectacular (it was a special menu with like 7 courses, but I assume the regular menu is also good). Filet Mignon in a green pepper sauce was awesome.

There were also a lot of other Italian restaurants, some with a French names (but not authentic French menus). Lots of young people, it seemed really pretty nice.
ChinaBoy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Jeongja has got some nice restaurants.. nice place to live.
keseki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bundang is awesome. i love living here. its very easy to get to seoul, and if u live in sunae or jeongja, its quite modern and new.

btw it takes you 45 mins to get to gangnam??? just catch one of the million buses from bundang-gu cheong and you'll be in gangnam in like 20 mins.
XAdamX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a few vegetarian restaurants in Bundang on-line. Does anyone know if they are still in business?

I'm also trying to find the Huckleberry Farms that is located there. The one closest to me is in Apgujeong.

Any help?
ChinaBoy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huckleberry Farms is across from the Sony Store, near I Love Cookie.

Around the corner from Quizno's.

Umm... 1 block from Daily King's?
climber159

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised the 5500-1 red bus has not been mentioned (you don't have to go to Sohyeon to pick up a red bus). You can pick that bus up from the Jeongja station bus stop on the river side of the road. It stops at Sunae and Sohyeon before taking the Pangyo (expressway) to Hannam-dong (Dangook University). Get off there and you can pick up the 110A or 110B bus into Itaewon.

Also, the 1005-2 stops at Jeongja station. This one goes through Gangnam before it ends at Hannam-dong.
Gnawbert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bundang is great. My girlfriend and I have lived here since last march (at Ori and Miguem) and we regularly go to Jeongja since it's only a quick walk or rollerblade up the tancheon river. From what I've seen so far, the only place that's really as nice is Ilsan. Of course, it's not for everyone, and can be a little tame compared to Seoul, but the over all quality of life is great.

The nightlife isn't as wild as Seoul, but you've got a few clubs in Seohyeon, namely Monkey Beach and Lose Control. Honestly, I don't even consider them clubs since it's more like a large room with tables and someone cycling through an MP3 playlist, but it can be fun at times. Gangnam is close enough too.

The expats are for the most part really cool. You'll meet the occasional *beep* but I've made some wonderful friends out here that are lifelong friendships already. During the spring and summer a lot of people congregate at the blue tables outside GS25 and Family Marts. I've made some great friends just walking up, buying people a beer and sitting to talk for a bit.

There are a lot of expats besides teachers too. Just the other night we had an amazing homemade Indian dinner prepared by a group of Indians over here working for a telecom. A lot of the young Koreans in their late 20's and early 30's have studied in the U.S. or Canada and they're usually really keen to talk with foreigners and make friends too, so don't ignore them. Honestly, you'd have to try pretty hard to not make friends here.

I think you'll like Bundang. It's a great balance and there's a lot of stuff to do outdoors as well that keeps me fit. My contract is up in March and I'm honestly not looking to live in any other area than Bundang or Ilsan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: