Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Topic one -- Dentists
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaderedux

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Topic one -- Dentists Reply with quote

Help I need a good dentist in Seoul. One that is not stingy with the novacaine and preferably speaks some english. The last one I went to made Steve Martin in Little Shop of Horrors look like Ghandi.

Yes, I am a big sissy when it comes to dentist.......!

A most grateful Jade
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yesterday

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: English speaking soft dentist at Kangnam Reply with quote

[quote][quote]
I have been regularly using a Dentist at Yeoksam - a DR Hong - her office is down from the Start Tower - in fact - she is so good - i have been returning for treatment twice a week for the last month - and will probably keep going back for another 2 months.

The anaethesia that is used there works well - but only if you do not drink alcohol for at least 3 days before your visit - apparently alcohol in your system - cancells the effects of the anaethesia.

Hoever there is another ENGLISH speaking dentist at Gangnam - who claims to have the softest touch - here are her details........

Dentist with the soft touch...

Possibly the dentist with the softest touch in Korea is Dr. Kim Min Hee. Her clinic is fitted with state-of-the-art equipment including a fully panoramic digital x-ray machine, and modern root canal equipment which usually completes almost pain-free treatment in one visit. The clinic not only treats all dental problems, but also specializes in aesthetic dentistry including teeth whitening. She is also expert in crown and bridge treatment and in implant surgery.

Dr. Kim Min Hee speaks English and welcomes foreign patients as well as Koreans. She and her staff can treat you in comfort in a private room. High-resolution digital images can be shown on a chair-side screen. Unlike many other clinics in Korea, they use only purified water for treatment.

Free parking is available at the clinic, which is one block from Gangnam Subway Station on Line 2.

On this topic however - I want to ask a question - I was advised by my dentist (Yeoksam) NOT TO have amalgum fillings (the silver/grey fillings) or the resin fillings (the white fillings) because they tend to crumble and fall out after 4-5 years - and was STRONGLY advised to go for the GOLD fillings (which apparently last a lifetime).

The cost of a Gold filling is 180,000 won and a Gold CAP 300,000 comared to amalgam at 25,000 won and resin at 80,000 won - Do these prices (the gold ones) sound correct to others here who have had work done at the Dentist? - or am i being ripped off?
Clutch Cargo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig, do you have the contact details for Dr. Kim Min Hee? I need a bit of work done.
Yesterday

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Contact details, and map Reply with quote

Yep - here are the details of the clinic at Gangnam - its about the only dentist I could find that stays open till 9pm as well - on a Tuesday and Thursday - my clinic at Yeoksam closes at 6:30pm so can only visit them on saturdays.

Anyway - try here

http://www.seoulselection.com/readers_read.html?cid=1399
(copy and paste?)

Remember - this clinic likes people to phone for an appointment - however most doctors and dentists in Korea require no appointment - just walk in, take a seat and wait 10 or 15 minutes.

Also your first visit to a dentist will costs 50,000 won to 70,000 won because they usually insist on taking X-rays, and giving you a good scaling (cleaning all plaque off teeth) - however after this initial visit it gets cheaper and cheaper - and unless you are having major surgery - you may only have to pay once more on your last visit.
Clutch Cargo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Craig. I think I need a new filling.

waterbaby

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jade... here are two other threads that discuss recommended dentists.

1. Dentist in Seoul for foreigners?
2. Dental dilemma
zee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone actually gone to the dentist recommended here (DR Kim Min Hee)? I need to go to the dentist soon. I haven't been in about 6 years (!!!) and I am afraid of being swindled. I need an honest, clean, state of the art English speaking Dentist who won't cause me pain.
Shocked
Toby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with a bit of pain inflicted in the right way to the right parts.

So I heard.
zee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Hi.
I ended up going to the "modern dental clinic".
this was a while ago, so i forget the actual dentist's name -
i have a card from them and i have these as telephone numbers: 792.1818/19 080.792.1818

i went here because they speak english, and the dentist trained out west somewhere. the place caters to foreigners.
it is located where a bunch of foreign embassies are - just south of itawean (once again i forget the details - but i'm sure you can find out.)

they were friendly and very professional, it was a pretty swank office for korea.
very clean.
there was a little interview room, but all the chairs (for being examined / worked on) were beside each other, which i felt was weird. they had some very high tech equipment with a video camera with which they showed me my mouth.

i went in for an exam, and basically they told me i had 2 million won worth of work to be done (cavities and stuff). i just went for the gum treatment,(scaling) which was my main concern and the cheapest (60, 000 won). i checked out prices for fillings and it was the same as it would be in canada (ie 100-300 canadian dollars). i decided to wait until i got back to canada for the fillings.

(turns out, my canadian dentist doesn't think i need ANY work done, i don't have any cavities according to him, what i do have are a bunch of old white fillings, which is what the korean dentist was looking at. )

the gum treatment was AWFUL, but i think it would be no matter where it was done (it invloves cutting your gums and scraping below your gumline and is very painful afterwards. the sound was terrible.) but, i will say, my gums are better now, (it was the early start of gingivitis, and i think i caught it early enough)

i was very intent on freezing, and they ended up giving me too much, and i almost passed out, but they waited until i felt better to do the work.

All in all, it wasn't fun, it never is, but it felt safe.
i trusted him for the work he did.

the whole quoting me on all the cavities wasn't cool, but all the things they wanted to do were mostly cosmetic (ie replacing old fillings) so i can sort of trust they weren't intending on just redoing my mouth arbitrarily.

sorry for rambling, but there you go.

if you need to see a dentist, i would go there, just keep in mind it is a rather higher class place, and they will try to upsell you on the cosmetic stuff.
rhys01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: kim min hee Reply with quote

has anyoe acctually used kim min hee???
I think I need a trip to the dentist - it looks fine, just wondering if anyone has any personal experience????
garhowis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: The dentist with the soft touch Reply with quote

Yes, I've been to her once. I had a check up, scaling and cleaning. She wanted to replace all my amalgam fillings, but I balked at the cost. If it weren't for the cost, I'd go back. She seemed to know her stuff and was very gentle.
dogshed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: fillings Reply with quote

I just had my first cavity filled in Kansas City last year. They used a UV hardened composite resin. That seems to be the standard of care now. -Jeff
dogshed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Sterilization Reply with quote

I'm more concerned about proper sterilization of equipment. Of course fancy computer screens to display your x-rays mean nothing if some assistant screws up and you get HIV from the last patient. -Jeff
Qinella

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: update Reply with quote

zee wrote:
the whole quoting me on all the cavities wasn't cool, but all the things they wanted to do were mostly cosmetic (ie replacing old fillings) so i can sort of trust they weren't intending on just redoing my mouth arbitrarily.

Yeah I had something happen like that in North Carolina. I went to a new dentist, who was the only person within a 45-minute drive to have appointment openings within the next 3 months. He ended up doing like 10 "cavity fillings" and a crown. On one filling he drilled too much by mistake, so I needed two crowns. ELEVEN fillings, okay. Unbelievable, I thought.

I went to my childhood dentist back in Florida about a year later and had zero cavities. He inspected my mouth and said he couldn't believe the last dentist had done all that work, because from what he could tell not a single one had been necessary. That really makes me happy that I dropped $2,000 on nothing but a little laughing gas and a few mornings off work.

Btw, my girlriend has to get her final wisdom tooth taken out next weekend. I'm so surprised.. geting four teeth taken out has required a total of three dental visits. They're embedded, which makes it a more difficult procedure, and she said the only anesthetic the dentist uses is a basic novacaine shot! And he didn't prescribe any painkillers after the procedure!

WTF!!!!

When is Korean dentistry gonna catch up with Zimbabwe? I swear to god this country makes me wonder what the hell we have brains for sometimes. Let's drill on someone's mouth and not use any sedatives, and just let the pain ride out for a few days or weeks. If I ever get hurt for real here, I'll probably have to just kill myself, like when a horse breaks its leg.
dulouz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, I've been to her once. I had a check up, scaling and cleaning. She wanted to replace all my amalgam fillings, but I balked at the cost. If it weren't for the cost, I'd go back. She seemed to know her stuff and was very gentle.

Yea, $$$$$$$$$$$ she likes that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: