Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do Korean Hand Phones work in the U.S.A?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sakamuras

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Do Korean Hand Phones work in the U.S.A? Reply with quote

Not up to date with the latest technology, but does anyone know if the Korean cell phones can be used on one of the wireless providers in the states (whether it be cdma, gsm, etc...)?
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SK has auto roaming for some phones. SK other companies also have roaming in which you notify them before you leave Korea.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rowdie3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I used to work for a cell phone company back home, so I'm pretty sure this is correct. Korea operates on the 1800mhz frequency, while North American phones are 1900mhz. In some cases, you can get a phone unlocked to work back in the US/Canada, but it's only possible maybe 10% of the time and can cost upwards of $200 to do. So, in response to your question, I would say that in all likely hood (sp?) you wouldn't be able to use a Korean phone back home.
J
Bubbliee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just in Canada and I asked at a cupple of cell phone places. They said that the SIM card can be changed and then it will work just fine as long as the service provider here in Korea hasn't blocked its use outside the country.
lush72

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbliee wrote:
I was just in Canada and I asked at a cupple of cell phone places. They said that the SIM card can be changed and then it will work just fine as long as the service provider here in Korea hasn't blocked its use outside the country.

They use SIM cards in CDMA / TDMA phones now? I thought SIM cards were only in GSM phones? Am I wrong? Question
bjonothan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried to use mine when I was in Australia. We use gsm and a few use cdma. However we use a different frequency in Aus. I was told by a guy in Aus. that you can use them as long as they are a broadband cdma phone. The guy showed me his phone and it was a samsung phone which he said his friend bought here and took back home. I think 011 and 019 are broadband. I hope so because I got a 019 phone so I can use it when I get home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: