Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is Ulsan nightlife so dead?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Why is Ulsan nightlife so dead? Reply with quote

It was cookin' on New Years (as expected) but man alive has it sucked since then.

There has to be more than Tombstone.

McKenzies was nice but NOBODY goes there - same goes for Arsehole and even Acid. Royal Anchor was dead too.

Any suggestions? I'm not expecting a LOT but something more than nothing!

I need to kill time until pay day (read: GUITAR DAY).

Sheeot - POHANG had more nightlife than this!

Cheers,

Joe
kangnam mafioso

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you really expect ulsan to be rockin'?
i can't understand why people choose the country over seoul ... especially those into nightlife.
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangnam mafioso wrote:
i can't understand why people choose the country over seoul ... especially those into nightlife.

Seoul - lots of f'd up Koreans with mean streaks.
Seoul - Lot's of f'd up expats with mean streaks.

Ulsan isn't a bad place to live. I get no hassell here. I just don't run with a pack. This is a pack city.

I like having SOME nightlife.

Seoul nitelife is a sad, yuppified joke, or an Itaewon sweat machine of wannabe decadence but never really bursting that envelope of safety to be the new Sodom it COULD be, if people had the cajones.

My ops.

Joe
shawner88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you, Joe. I lived there over a year. I couldn't believe how you could go to bars on a Saturday and they were dead. The streets were dead after 12. Then you go to the anchor and it's 99% foreigners, mostly guys at that.
kangnam mafioso

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Thanks wrote:
kangnam mafioso wrote:

Seoul - lots of f'd up Koreans with mean streaks.
Seoul - Lot's of f'd up expats with mean streaks.

Ulsan isn't a bad place to live. I get no hassell here. I just don't run with a pack. This is a pack city.

I like having SOME nightlife.

Seoul nitelife is a sad, yuppified joke, or an Itaewon sweat machine of wannabe decadence but never really bursting that envelope of safety to be the new Sodom it COULD be, if people had the cajones.

My ops.

Joe

i met a lot of nice koreans and westerners in seoul. i'm not saying the night life is great in seoul ... compared to london, nyc or bangkok it's a f-ing joke, but it's about as good as it gets in korea, except for maybe pusan.
inexhile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is Ulsan nightlife so dead? Reply with quote

Joe Thanks wrote:

Cheers,

Joe

easy now, Joe, easy...
Butterfly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is Ulsan nightlife so dead? Reply with quote

It's not so far from Busan is it? Why don't you get on a train and head down there on a weekend? Motels are cheap.
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Why is Ulsan nightlife so dead? Reply with quote

inexhile wrote:
Joe Thanks wrote:

Cheers,

Joe

easy now, Joe, easy...

Really, brotherman - it did!

Joe
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Why is Ulsan nightlife so dead? Reply with quote

Butterfly wrote:
It's not so far from Busan is it? Why don't you get on a train and head down there on a weekend? Motels are cheap.

Gonna have to wait until Payday in Feb.

So who in Pusan would be Joe's guide to a Fear and Loathing weekend in Pusan?

RD sees Dr. G.

Joe
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawner88 wrote:
I hear you, Joe. I lived there over a year. I couldn't believe how you could go to bars on a Saturday and they were dead. The streets were dead after 12. Then you go to the anchor and it's 99% foreigners, mostly guys at that.

It hit me like a bullet train. New Years was rockin' and then it dropped off 90-98%. Jaded old Joe was shocked. McKenzies has a cozy atmosphere and Alex (owner) is a cool cat. Royal Anchor - yeah 99% guys - all three of us. Arsehole could be nice - cute lass workin' there and a nice conversation - and pretty much all I ever look for are good cons. As per vertical mambo options - I take them when they come. Ironically, 48 hours in Ulsan and I had some lass mackin' me. More proof that if you don't look you WILL find it. At ACID expats were like sharks zeroing in on a lethargic seal - whenever a single Korean woman - or foreign for that matter - appeared. The way they fumbled around would serve was the definition of desperation; poor saps.

Now - Ulsan - it's a nice place for kids and suburban refugees but for Joe - well, it's an nice place to live. Party? (snicker)

Joe

Last edited by Joe Thanks on Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beeg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha,
I went out in Ullsan at Halloween, hit Acid and thought Ullsan nightlife was pretty good. Mind you I live in Kyongju.
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beeg wrote:
Hahaha,
I went out in Ullsan at Halloween, hit Acid and thought Ullsan nightlife was pretty good. Mind you I live in Kyongju.

HALLOWEEN. Makese sense - like New Year's - but things are pretty sad here without a holiday (western) around.

Anybody know bars in Ulsan with more Korean clientel? Ulsan web mentions but a handful of bars in town. I see so many I forget where they are all located.

February - I get the guitar and can't wait. Hopefully find some people and at least use empty bars for practice halls.

Joe
shawner88

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that Arsehold bar still going? Our gang at that time made that place popular. We all were tired of Anchor and wanted a new hangout. Someone found that little bar and next thing every foreigner was going there. Lucky for the owner. I have a bad memory of that place though. Some kiwi guy was in my face cause I was talking to a girl he liked but plainly didn't like him. He wouldn't stop so I socked him in the face, knocking out one of his front teeth unintentionally. (Keep in mind this was after 2 hours of free Tequilla, about the worst promo event you can have in a bar). He got carted away but snuck in later with a bottle and sucker smashed me when I wasn't looking, then ran away. I was wearing a white shirt and was covered in blood.

He ended up leaving the country a week later.

The chick went home with a different guy that night.

I learned fighting, especially over chicks, is stupid.
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
shawner88
Is that Arsehold bar still going?

Yup. Cute gal usually working there but as dead as McLean Stevenson.

Quote:

Our gang at that time made that place popular. We all were tired of Anchor and wanted a new hangout. Someone found that little bar and next thing every foreigner was going there. Lucky for the owner.

Ulsan is really clique-y and most expats are lilly white suburbanites, desperate horn dogs, or they don't go out. Lots of chicksh*ts who came with their neighborhood or better-halves. Folks too fearful to go anywhere alone.

Anyway, not a lot of lone wolves here. The yrun in packs and it's not that interesting. Getting my scooter tonight so in a week or so I hope to find places with PEOPLE. Preferably locals, since the expats here run in KKKlans.

Homey don't play that.

Regardless, I think Ulsan will end up a write off for night life. Pohang (with HALF the people of here) is more happening - and that's sad.

Pack runners. Suburbanites. Lilly whites. It's the death of mankind in the making...

Joe

Last edited by Joe Thanks on Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pusan sucks as well.. there is just about 4-5 decent bars around Pusan National University (compared to about 20 decent bars around HongDae University in Seoul)..

Itaewon Seoul has about 10 decent bars or so.. as opposed to Texas Town in Pusan which is basically 'hooker hill' part of Itaewon.

The only decent place in Pusan was Haendai Beach in the summertime.. not really a bar.. it was extremely crowded however and not that much fun.. but good place to drink beer at 9-10pm at night.. i suppose that could be done in Ulsan in the summertime as well though..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: