Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

renting my own pad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
denz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: renting my own pad Reply with quote

yesh well, i'm looking to rent my own little studio apartment this year (in seoul).

i'd be interested to hear from anyone who has done this. any insights, hints, warnings or otherwise.

happy trails...

denz
william beckerson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great. Cant wait to crash there. Wink
mack the knife

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: key money is key Reply with quote

in which area do you want to live?

it's hard to rent a place, studio or otherwise, without key money. near itaewon and haebongchong it's not too difficult, but rent doesn't come cheap.

if you have 5 or 10mil. to throw down for key money, most officetels will accept that. rent and bills will be high, however (500-1mil. and above)

if you break your contract, for whatever reason, the owner usually keeps your key money until he or she finds a new tenant. so, if you decide to flee the country for whatever reason, don't expect the owner to fork over your money on demand.
weatherman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: re: housing......... Reply with quote

I rent my own place, a one-room studio apartment. I found it by looking in the classified weekly publication that every city has. Look for the section of the city you want to live in. Man, you would be amazed what you can find in there. I don't live in Seoul, but in a city of 1.5 million. I put down my bank account in key money and pay too much a month for rent. It is a bit expensive but it is better I find for the education it offers. I like living in the mist of Korean society and not sequestered away in some remote school dormitory. It is possible with a teache's salary, but you aren't going get some nice two bedroom apt. in a housing complex, yet I know this one guy who did, and I have no idea how he did it. Also you with one year job contracts, you never know what will happen, and you might have to move, but have your money tied up in your contract. Good luck, keep up up-dated.
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Housing Reply with quote

For more info on housing available compiled by the US embassy in Korea you can visit the the below site.

http://usembassy.state.gov/seoul/wwwh3550.html
denz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: yesh well Reply with quote

i am interested in numbers and figures if anyone can help. i realise there are two forms of "rent" (super deposit) or (more reasonable deposit plus monthly rent).

there has to be more of you folkers out there.

denz
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am paying 50,000,000 for a 28 year-old 15pyoung roach infested hole in the wall near Ewha University. August my lease is up and I will be moving into a 25-32 pyoung apartment that should run me about 120,000,000 to 150,000,000. I think that rent is like flushing your money down the toilet so I won't do it.
sm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: sites Reply with quote

Check out HiExpat and Craig's list. Visit the local area where you want to live and visit a number of the budongsan's who will show you apts in that area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: