Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drug test on Tuesday. Please advise.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steffie183

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to put my 2 cents in!!! Fun!

As for the smoking weed thing, the original topic, that was dumb. I hope you learned your lesson. If you are a good worker and teacher, I hope everything worked out. If you are a crappy person, I hope you were deported. A pot smoker does not a crappy person make.

As for teaching privates: I can and do teach privates legally since I have an F-2 visa. I mostly do it to help the serious students and to make money off of the idiots (mostly business men) who want to stare at the foreign girl speaking English for an hour. I actually refuse to take business-men students anymore. Unless they are serious. Before graduating college I charged a measly 35k/hr. My main student stop attending hagwon classes and I was her primary teacher so her mom actually saved money.

Parents pay extreme amounts of money to send their children to hagwons where many teachers are not qualified to teach English (Korean and foreign alike). Many hagwons have an escalator system that just moves kids up regardless of their actual progress. This creates an environment where the student is hopelessly unable to learn because the level is simply to high for them. My point: some parents are wasting money on English lessons anyway.

Parents will pay for their children to learn English regardless of the tutors. Hagwons started and continue to thrive on classism. Not every rich kid has to have a tutor but just about every kid HAS to go to hagwons or their parents are extremely poor. It is a cultural concept and it sucks but it is here to stay. The ban on private tutoring was also to help ease parent's financial burdens but it never worked. There was a long time where tutoring was illegal even for Koreans.

My fiancee/legal husband is trying to make me charge up to 100k/hr but I personally don't feel right doing so. I am happy at 50k now that I have graduated and that is only after speaking to many KOREANS about my rates. A girl the other day actually told me that charging such a low amount will hurt my chances of getting students because they will think something is wrong with my English abilities.

Before people start blasting: my credentials include 2 years of living here, being an exchange student, and a degree in focusing on Korean language and culture ^^

And to the guy who says he does privates at his hagwon - you are dumb. The fact that the money filters down to you through your hagwon is what makes it legal and not technically a private tutoring gig. Sure, you have private students but that is just 1:1 lessons. My friend is opening a hagwon just for 1:1 conversation practice. It isn't private tutoring regardless of who decides what happens in class.[/quote]
ChilgokBlackHole

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steffie183 wrote:
And to the guy who says he does privates at his hagwon - you are dumb.

I've already responded to the balance of your post in other posts above, and I'm not prepared to do so again here. However, the above could be considered an ad hominem attack on a user or flamebait, both of which are violations of the TOS. I will therefore exit the thread. I suggest you do the same.
mgafunnell

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sprinkle a little salt. your pee will just show high levels of sodium
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:
NYC_Gal wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:
That is the very definition of a crime. Glad to see you agree with me...finally.

Some laws are stupid and changing. Some laws are just stupid. Nobody is a victim in this situation. I know the definition, but you couldn't tell that I was being sarcastic.

Apparently YOU are the one who has problems with sarcasm.

I saw your sarcasm, but you were unable to see mine.

It's a stupid law
, again. I don't follow stupid laws when they are victimless. If there are no cars, I jaywalk. I also have my parents open up any packages I order to their house and repackage it and send it marked as "used" such and such to avoid paying customs, whenever possible (though not always). I do pay my taxes at home, even though I could easily get away with not doing so. You've got to be able to distinguish between the idiotic laws and those that deserve to be followed to a T.

I don't teach privates here, but do language exchanges and free extra "tea time" or "dinner" conversation help with some of my favorite students. We go out for something to eat, or to a coffee shop, and chat in English.

It still doesn't change the fact that it's an idiotic law for those interested in making extra money.

Stupid for who? I totally agree with it. There are reasons that it is in place, and there are reasons that it isn't changing.
Steffie183

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChilgokBlackHole wrote:
Steffie183 wrote:
And to the guy who says he does privates at his hagwon - you are dumb.

I've already responded to the balance of your post in other posts above, and I'm not prepared to do so again here. However, the above could be considered an ad hominem attack on a user or flamebait, both of which are violations of the TOS. I will therefore exit the thread. I suggest you do the same.

Rolling Eyes
Koharski
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steffie183 wrote:

As for teaching privates: I can and do teach privates legally since I have an F-2 visa.

For the 31,54,58,96,63,23rd time; an F2 visa does not give you permission to teach private lessons. You must register with the Tax Office and report all income to the government.
NYC_Gal

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
NYC_Gal wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:
NYC_Gal wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:
That is the very definition of a crime. Glad to see you agree with me...finally.

Some laws are stupid and changing. Some laws are just stupid. Nobody is a victim in this situation. I know the definition, but you couldn't tell that I was being sarcastic.

Apparently YOU are the one who has problems with sarcasm.

I saw your sarcasm, but you were unable to see mine.

It's a stupid law
, again. I don't follow stupid laws when they are victimless. If there are no cars, I jaywalk. I also have my parents open up any packages I order to their house and repackage it and send it marked as "used" such and such to avoid paying customs, whenever possible (though not always). I do pay my taxes at home, even though I could easily get away with not doing so. You've got to be able to distinguish between the idiotic laws and those that deserve to be followed to a T.

I don't teach privates here, but do language exchanges and free extra "tea time" or "dinner" conversation help with some of my favorite students. We go out for something to eat, or to a coffee shop, and chat in English.

It still doesn't change the fact that it's an idiotic law for those interested in making extra money.

Stupid for who? I totally agree with it. There are reasons that it is in place, and there are reasons that it isn't changing.

Stupid for all. There's a reason Korea ranks lowest (or second to lowest, depending on who does the survey) in English ability. They don't allow us to deviate from a curriculum that leaves a LOT to be desired (and is rife with errors), and they don't allow private tutoring. Private tutoring is one of the best ways to learn a language.
Old fat expat

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe stupid for the students, although I am not sure how those that do privates for a fee are better teachers.

Not stupid for local business that lobby the politicians to keep the money circulating in Korea's economy. The foreign English teachers are still here but the money that flows from teaching English stays and is controlled by Koreans. That should be easy to understand.

NYC_gal, I don't disagree with what you are saying. It should be that the child's education is what comes first. I am sure you realize that the whole idea of school as we know it was to stop child slavery during early industrialization.

The sad fact is education is often about more than learning. Keep 'em out of factories, keep 'em off the streets, keep the money here.

Not that I agree with it, but not so stupid.
NYC_Gal

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old fat expat wrote:
Maybe stupid for the students, although I am not sure how those that do privates for a fee are better teachers.

Not stupid for local business that lobby the politicians to keep the money circulating in Korea's economy. The foreign English teachers are still here but the money that flows from teaching English stays and is controlled by Koreans. That should be easy to understand.

NYC_gal, I don't disagree with what you are saying. It should be that the child's education is what comes first. I am sure you realize that the whole idea of school as we know it was to stop child slavery during early industrialization.

The sad fact is education is often about more than learning. Keep 'em out of factories, keep 'em off the streets, keep the money here.

Not that I agree with it, but not so stupid.

Education isn't stupid. Limiting the access that students could have to extra one-on-one is. I didn't say that teachers that do privates for a fee are any better, but the child has a better chance of learning when it's a 1:1 ratio.

I'm well aware of why the education system was created, but we are past that now. Korea should want their children to succeed. Just my 20 won.
Old fat expat

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha Ha

Had to laugh when I looked at the thread title.

HY-JACKED

need to say something about drugs to get back on track, ....
whome33

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: it being a stupid law

I agree that it is better for the student. I've taught in hagwons. How much actual speaking time does each student get per class? 1 on 1 is obviously better for learning. Not to mention, they don't need to spend time going to and from a hagwon (seems kids here are busy enough as it is), and can learn in the comforts of their home.

But what about the rights of the korean parents to be able to spend their hard-earned won on their kids however they want?

As for keeping the money in the economy and tax stuff. I don't get it. Teachers living here spend their money here. If a teacher makes extra money teaching on the side, I would bet they end up spending more at all kinds of Korean owned establishments every month.
Steffie183

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For the 31,54,58,96,63,23rd time; an F2 visa does not give you permission to teach private lessons. You must register with the Tax Office and report all income to the government.

Who said I didn't report it?

Hmmm... how to get this thread back on track.... I love how this one question has managed to create 11 pages of repeated posts, ㅋㅋㅋ

OP, are you still in the country or did you get deported/imprisoned?

I wonder how much money the drug cleansing industry is making. My sister asked me for $100 to buy something to cleanse the weed from her system a year ago. I refused and told her just to stop...she hasn't.

I actually had the whole med check up and drug tests done last month. I actually thought that it would have been really easy to use someone else's urine since it is a public bathroom, they don't watch or even come with you, and the robe has pockets. As long as the person was clean and the same sex, you would be fine. Not that I am condoning that, I'm just saying...

I would also like to note, the immigration website isn't completely current. They always require extra forms and what not when filing for visas. I wonder when the whole AIDS test will finally get scrapped from E-2 requirements.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steffie183 wrote:

I actually had the whole med check up and drug tests done last month. I actually thought that it would have been really easy to use someone else's urine since it is a public bathroom, they don't watch or even come with you, and the robe has pockets. As long as the person was clean and the same sex, you would be fine. Not that I am condoning that, I'm just saying...

When I did my medical exam, I was wearing a winter jacket and had a book bag with me. I could have easily had a bottle of piss stashed in one of my pockets or my bag. The woman at the urine and blood lab just handed me a little jar and told me to go to the bathroom and fill it. I could have even sent someone else in to give the blood and urine samples for me. They only looked at my passport at the front desk when they entered my data in the computer. Then they gave me a paper with a list of tests and told me where to get the different tests done. Some of them were on other floors (including the blood and urine lab).
tgrear2008

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snitches get stitches.
Dr. Whom

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love a good blood match, but this one has run its course. The self-
confessed rats/snitches have no arguments left. They are just posting
TOS warnings. Lame.

BORING

Freelance teaching is a win-win-win-win situation.

The student wins - More attention from the teacher
The parents win - Freelance is actually CHEAPER with a team
The teacher wins - More freedom and money
Korea wins - Better English ability for the workforce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: