Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why teach at a university?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawner88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Beave. I'll follow that guide if I apply to the place behind my home. I just don't have time to go the two hours each way to Jangan. However, I do know I need to do more than just submit my applications materials on e-mail. The problem with working so long at a hagwon is it makes you lethargic when it comes to going the extra mile, and that's why I'm still a hagwon teacher...a viscious circle. However, I lack motivation to leave my current situation just because it's so easy.

Anyway, I was also wondering as a man what it's like to teach at a women's college. Walking around Ehwas it's like Darwinism at its best. I would go crazy teaching those beautiful girls all day.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawner88 wrote:
Anyway, I was also wondering as a man what it's like to teach at a women's college. Walking around Ehwas it's like Darwinism at its best. I would go crazy teaching those beautiful girls all day.

Used to teach at a women's university so I can offer my own experience (which, granted, doesn't seem to apply to other male teachers I've known). From the first day of class I focus on their physical faults (if any exist) and the knowledge that, although there are physically adults, they're mentally children.

Worked for me, but I'm an odd bastard.
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee wrote:
everyone at home doesn't inflate. Unless they are among friends and bragging . If they are giving honest information they won't

If you want to tell someone how things are you should give them the most conservative numbers.

Or may be I shoudl just take off 20% off everyone's numbers on this thread.

Don't take 20% off mine. I actually make more money than I posted. My school offers extra classes (completely my choice) so for 4 months of the year I make over 3,000,000, and at the moment I doing extra work at another school in which I get paid a shade under 4,000,000 for a month. As well, my school offers proofreading money (80,000 won per paper).

Quote:
make 2.45 for 16 hours (12 hour base + 4 hours overtime). Over 20 weeks vacation.

No masters.

But for some months your uni base is less than 2.45 because you are not working overtime right?

Of Course you make more money working somewhere else with a permission letter.

But anyway what is your base w/o overtime and what is your overtime rate?

I will assume they give you free housing and severence. (if not start deducting)

Does your school pay airfare ? If not maybe you might want to deduct that as well. It cost you money to come to Korea didn't it.

Nevertheless I am glad to see you are doing well.

I just think everyone should use the most pessimistic numbers when talking about their jobs.

Last edited by Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee on Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
shawner88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I got a call from Jangan college this morning to set up an interview. I got more details:

25,000,000/year
15 hours/week 4 day work week

only 6 weeks vacation, but I guess the 4 day week makes up for it. She said the reason was because I would have to attend seminars and programs during the breaks but...as of now they have no programs or seminars set up.

Not the best, not the worst. May as well give it a shot. I asked how many people are interviewing and the lady laughed. "Lots and lots and then some." Sounds promising. Must have been the ad in the Herald that did it.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee wrote:
But for some months your uni base is less than 2.45 because you are not working overtime right?

Of Course you make more money working somewhere else with a permission letter.

But anyway what is your base w/o overtime and what is your overtime rate?

I will assume they give you free housing and severence. (if not start deducting)

Does your school pay airfare ? If not maybe you might want to deduct that as well. It cost you money to come to Korea didn't it.

Nevertheless I am glad to see you are doing well.

I just think everyone should use the most pessimistic numbers when talking about their jobs.

The lowest I could make in a month (before taxes) is 2,220,000.

They didn't pay airfare, but they do pay severance which is more than airfare would be, and I didn't figure that into my initial quote, either.

Believe as you will, but I wasn't being optimistic to begin with. . .
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then 12 for 2.2 plus about 20,000 an hour for overtime + housing and severence.

Better than average. Very good for someone w/o an M.A.
SuperHero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my job starting in march will be 2.45 for 12 hours. 35,000 overtime rate and a 1,000,000 travel allowance on top of my severence. All written into the contract.

Unfortuneately I have to work during vacations and it is not overtime, but I dont' mind as I will be making big money and still getting enough vacation time.
shawner88

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe this coincidence. The college I applied to, Jangan, is in Nowhere-dong where I live. A small tiny town 20 minutes from Suwon. I can't believe I've never seen it. I hope I have an advantage with that.
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperHero wrote:
my job starting in march will be 2.45 for 12 hours. 35,000 overtime rate and a 1,000,000 travel allowance on top of my severence. All written into the contract.

Unfortuneately I have to work during vacations and it is not overtime, but I dont' mind as I will be making big money and still getting enough vacation time.

how much vacation time?
SuperHero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee wrote:
SuperHero wrote:

how much vacation time?

8 or more is what I was told.
shawner88

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is killing me. If you followed my posts on this thread - I applied to Jangan college. I had no idea where it was at first, but applied anyway. Then I found out it's in the same small town I live in. I couldn't believe it because how could I miss a college after living here 7 months? I called today, turns out the "college" is just one small building and it's 1/4 km from my front door. How crazy is that? (And hard to believe since a website I found says they have 7000 students - must be a typo?) So I wouldn't even have to move! I wish I had figured that out sooner, I could have gone in person to drop off my documents. Oh well. I hope it goes well tomorrow. I guess there will be a lot of people interviewing coming out from Suwon, but maybe the coincidence of living nearby will put me higher in their memories. Also, I look damn good in a suit. Razz
Arthur Fonzerelli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaver,

Does your university provide housing? If not, your salary is actually pretty average....
the_beaver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur Fonzerelli wrote:
Beaver,

Does your university provide housing? If not, your salary is actually pretty average....

If I want it.

I don't.
TECO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your avtar, Fonz, is doing my head in.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Buffa wrote:
And yes...teaching children does suck...only a fool would teach in a hogwan after lecturing at a university.

Alex

Just because YOU can't teach children, doesn't mean other people can't Alex.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: