Site Search:
 
Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean wackiness; a slew of judicial insanity.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
traxxe



Joined: 21 Feb 2007

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Korean wackiness; a slew of judicial insanity. Reply with quote

In case you thought Korea was a modern democracy with decent values. It's not, racism and rape are institutionalized and supported here:


A Vietnamese wife marries a Korean man through a marriage agency. The Korean man has a child with her. She gets pregnant right afterwards so the Korean man sends the child to be with 'family'. She has the second child and he sends it away too. He then divorces her and kicks her out of his house. Turns out he has a Korean wife who cannot have children. The judge awards the man custody and limits the Vietnamese mother to 1 visit a week because the children cannot recognize the Vietnamese woman and she is poor. (They can't recognize her because he stole them and used her to birth his children so he could have children with his own blood as a sick plot)

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2009/02/117_39664.html

Filipina woman is raped by her Korean husband at knifepoint. Husband is given no jail time because he expresses remorse for raping her and putting a gas gun to her head and knife to her throat to force her to have sex with him. The court then blames the woman for being at fault because she didn't "understand Korean culture."

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...113_37965.html

A disabled child is raped repeatedly under the care of her grandfather and two uncles. One uncle had already plead guilty to raping another woman before. The judges suspends all their sentences and they serve absolutely no jail time. He then returns custody of the girl to these men.

http://thegimpparade.blogspot.com/2008/12/korean-girl-still-to-be-cared-for-by.html


Last edited by traxxe on Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
betchay



Joined: 23 Aug 2005
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh you forgot about the docked ship
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
traxxe



Joined: 21 Feb 2007

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I meant to post this on another board. That's what I get for staying up all not frantically hoping there would be no NBA trades from the Suns at the tade deadline.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
DC in Suwon



Joined: 14 Dec 2008

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traxxe wrote:
Haha, I meant to post this on another board. That's what I get for staying up all not frantically hoping there would be no NBA trades from the Suns at the tade deadline.


Uh-oh! I'm a Suns fan too! I was hoping they'd get rid of Shaq....I believe they almost did with Cleveland.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crusher_of_heads



Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Location: kimbop and kimchi for kimberly!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know which is worse, the case of the Vietnamese or the woman from the Phillipines.

I guess I'd have to say the former, because pregnancy happened more than one time, and kimberly is guilty of bigamy.

In the case of the Phillipino woman, she quite clearly did NOT understand the culture here.

I'm going to follow Ilsanman's lead, and contact Amnesty International, as well as CNN, ABC, NBC and The Late Show with Dave Letterman.

smee, good on you for bringing attention tho those cosmetics ads.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
traxxe



Joined: 21 Feb 2007

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crusher_of_heads wrote:
I don't know which is worse, the case of the Vietnamese or the woman from the Phillipines.

I guess I'd have to say the former, because pregnancy happened more than one time, and kimberly is guilty of bigamy.

In the case of the Phillipino woman, she quite clearly did NOT understand the culture here.

I'm going to follow Ilsanman's lead, and contact Amnesty International, as well as CNN, ABC, NBC and The Late Show with Dave Letterman.

smee, good on you for bringing attention tho those cosmetics ads.



Cosmetic ads? One of the links now broken? heh.

The Vietnamese one is harsh. Consider that she was likely a virgin and saving herself for her one and only marriage as is customary amongst the villages there. The crime is pretty much repeated rape in my eyes. She was consenting under false pretenses.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Straphanger



Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Location: Chilgok, Korea

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traxxe, if you're not happy here, go home. You have a passport, go buy a plane ticket. Constant kvetching about the way things are done here is not going to change anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scotticus



Joined: 18 Mar 2007

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straphanger wrote:
traxxe, if you're not happy here, go home. You have a passport, go buy a plane ticket. Constant kvetching about the way things are done here is not going to change anything.


"Yeah, ya'll. If ya don't like it here, git yer ass outta the country! Love it or leave it. Freedom isn't free. Support our troops. Yee-haw!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
traxxe



Joined: 21 Feb 2007

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straphanger wrote:
traxxe, if you're not happy here, go home. You have a passport, go buy a plane ticket. Constant kvetching about the way things are done here is not going to change anything.


Unless you are of course involved in trying to make changes and hoping Korean will change for the better. Oh, I am! Are you? Doubt it. Suck it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
crossmr



Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Location: Hwayangdong, Seoul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing this would never happen in another country:
http://www.jeremiahproject.com/prophecy/justice02.html

Quote:
In Florida, a forty-eight-year-old man sentenced to life in prison for raping a thirteen-year-old girl with muscular dystrophy was released when the Second District Court of Appeals ruled that the rapist had been convicted with the wrong charge. The charge, "sexual battery of a helpless person," was deemed unfair in the court's opinion since the girl had screamed for help and tried to push the man away. Instead of the maximum thirty-year sentence, the rapist served only a few months for battery.


Quote:
The Pennsylvania Supreme Court vacated the death sentence of a convicted murderer because the deputy district attorney had cited the Bible in his closing arguments. The prosecutor, not the murderer, was severely admonished by the justices and a new sentencing was ordered. Later, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the ruling.


http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20Government/america_land_of_injustice.htm

Quote:
The second man is Gary Ewing, who got socked with a 25 years-to-life sentence for stealing three Callaway golf clubs worth $1,197. This, too, was years after his earlier convictions for robbery and burglary. Again, this man broke the law and MUST be punished... BUT 25 YEARS?


http://www.injusticeline.com/headline.html

http://www.lewrockwell.com/roberts/roberts187.html

Quote:
According to the International Center for Prison Studies at King’s College in London, the US has 700,000 more of its citizens incarcerated than China, a country with a population four to five times larger than that of the US, and 1,330,000 more people in prison than crime-ridden Russia. The US has 5% of the world’s population and 25% of the world’s prisoners. The American incarceration rate is seven times higher than that of European countries. Either America is the land of criminals, or something is seriously wrong with the criminal justice (sic) system in "the land of the free."


I think it would be appropriate now for us to all join hands and sing a verse of "America the beautiful"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Straphanger



Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Location: Chilgok, Korea

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traxxe wrote:
Straphanger wrote:
traxxe, if you're not happy here, go home. You have a passport, go buy a plane ticket. Constant kvetching about the way things are done here is not going to change anything.

Unless you are of course involved in trying to make changes and hoping Korean will change for the better. Oh, I am! Are you? Doubt it. Suck it.

You're engaging in political activity on an E-2?

When I was stationed in Texas, I thought the place was a little backward. Did I go onto 'iHateTexas.com' and bitch all the time? No. And we're not talking about a shady SEA wife-buyer or a wife-rapist. We're talking about the death penalty continuing to be used after multiple people were exonerated by DNA evidence - post mortem, unfortunately.

Why do you want to "change" this place anyway, what makes it yours to change? Who died and made you Superman?

As to "My country, love it or leave it, YEE-HAW!" Do you really think that's my attitude? There's a big difference between "Love it or leave it" and "Just take the money and shut up about it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
traxxe



Joined: 21 Feb 2007

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straphanger wrote:

You're engaging in political activity on an E-2?

When I was stationed in Texas, I thought the place was a little backward. Did I go onto 'iHateTexas.com' and bitch all the time? No. And we're not talking about a shady SEA wife-buyer or a wife-rapist. We're talking about the death penalty continuing to be used after multiple people were exonerated by DNA evidence - post mortem, unfortunately.

Why do you want to "change" this place anyway, what makes it yours to change? Who died and made you Superman?

As to "My country, love it or leave it, YEE-HAW!" Do you really think that's my attitude? There's a big difference between "Love it or leave it" and "Just take the money and shut up about it."


I'm enganging in what I feel is ethical. I'm not actively violating Korean law, no.

You should have stood up for what you believed when you were in Texas. Seems like you are one of those sorts who doesn't care to put the effort into making positive changes to situations you deem are ethically an afront to others.

Sitting by passive when you could do something about, even if it a small thing... in my eyes is unacceptable.

I am not superman. Not close. I care about making ethical changes because the Filipina woman and the Vietnamese woman and many others suffer at the hands of a modern democratic country with the economic and educational means to adhere to common ethical standards all can agree on. Rape is wrong. Racism is wrong.

All your quotes by the way are from a site that is complaining God isn't in the court room anymore and America is suffering because of it. There is no way I can verify any of those stories. They could be made up for all I know. Only one of them is about rape and I suspect there is more to the story but have no way of knowing because your site is devoid of any reputability and thus easily ignored. At least the man didn't go free and the woman was told she was at fault.

Complacency is sad. If you see something you believe is terribly wrong you should do what is in your power to make changes even if it is by small actions.

There are many wrongs in the world. In America. In Korea. Everywhere. I am in Korea and can best do a little to make a minor impact here. Thus why I bring attention to the crappy ethical standards Korean culture promotes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
mayorgc



Joined: 19 Oct 2008

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traxxe, I agree with you. So how does one go about making things better? (other than complain and moan on a message board)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Straphanger



Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Location: Chilgok, Korea

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traxxe wrote:
I'm enganging in what I feel is ethical. I'm not actively violating Korean law, no.

I'd have to agree. Wringing your hands and whining on a message board would not constitute political activity.

It also doesn't help people understand what your problem is, why it's a problem, why they should care, and what they're supposed to do about it.

So, what's the issue?

Why should I care?

Why is it a problem?

What do you want me to do about it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Captain Corea



Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crossmr wrote:
Good thing this would never happen in another country:
http://www.jeremiahproject.com/prophecy/justice02.html

Quote:
In Florida, a forty-eight-year-old man sentenced to life in prison for raping a thirteen-year-old girl with muscular dystrophy was released when the Second District Court of Appeals ruled that the rapist had been convicted with the wrong charge. The charge, "sexual battery of a helpless person," was deemed unfair in the court's opinion since the girl had screamed for help and tried to push the man away. Instead of the maximum thirty-year sentence, the rapist served only a few months for battery.


Quote:
The Pennsylvania Supreme Court vacated the death sentence of a convicted murderer because the deputy district attorney had cited the Bible in his closing arguments. The prosecutor, not the murderer, was severely admonished by the justices and a new sentencing was ordered. Later, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the ruling.


http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20Government/america_land_of_injustice.htm

Quote:
The second man is Gary Ewing, who got socked with a 25 years-to-life sentence for stealing three Callaway golf clubs worth $1,197. This, too, was years after his earlier convictions for robbery and burglary. Again, this man broke the law and MUST be punished... BUT 25 YEARS?


http://www.injusticeline.com/headline.html

http://www.lewrockwell.com/roberts/roberts187.html

Quote:
According to the International Center for Prison Studies at King’s College in London, the US has 700,000 more of its citizens incarcerated than China, a country with a population four to five times larger than that of the US, and 1,330,000 more people in prison than crime-ridden Russia. The US has 5% of the world’s population and 25% of the world’s prisoners. The American incarceration rate is seven times higher than that of European countries. Either America is the land of criminals, or something is seriously wrong with the criminal justice (sic) system in "the land of the free."


I think it would be appropriate now for us to all join hands and sing a verse of "America the beautiful"




wait

wait

wait

You mean it's not only Korean courts that are messed up??

Say it ain't so.


edit: It's funny, because I've talked to a number of Koreans regarding these news pieces and the vast majority of their opinions echo what you'd hear on this board (minus the racist comments).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2018 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International