Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

epik cleaning up its act?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schwa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: epik cleaning up its act? Reply with quote

Just for the record, heres the new conditions set out on the epik website http://epik.knue.ac.kr which should put a few of the recurring rumors & criticisms to rest. There will still be bad placements but with a bit of research a person could determine the provinces with better track records & increase their odds of an agreeable situation. They do exist.

What's New?

1. In 2003 EPIK is looking to recruit approximately 200 new Native English Language Instructors.

2. We have two application terms for this year's program.
* 1st term : February 1 - April 30, 2003
* 2nd term : May 1 - June 27, 2003
* 1st term successful applicants will receive their 'Notice of Appointment" sooner and be given higher priority in their preferred placement.

3. The contract term will change from 50 to 52 weeks(1year).
* In doing so, EPIK Members who complete the 1 year contract will be entitled to receive severance pay.

4. The monthly salary for the 1st level English Language Instructors has been increased by 100,000 Korean won per month.

5. An additional Provincial Allowance of 100,000 Korean won per month will be paid to EPIK members working for 8 Provinces except Gyeonggi Province. This does not include those working for Seoul and the 6 metropolitan cities within Korea.

6. An additional paid two-week vacation will be provided between contracts for renewing members.
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: If True, Why.....? Reply with quote

If true, why is the Seoul Education Training Institute advertising a 50 week EPIK contract? See the Korean Job Board.
long-term-player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: ridiculous Reply with quote

Seems Epik never get it right. Only give a pay rise to its Level One employees, then screw everybody by making then pay 50% medical tax for the first time, ; then give some Epiks in the country an exta 100,000 whilst city Epiks where the c.o.l. is greater get nothing! the people that invent this contract are really treating their Epiks rather wickedly,, maybe I am biased ! I am in Epik but will opt out in August for a better contract - it's interesting that I write to Epik 9 time and get no answer, but when someone with a bit of power writes, they respond immediately! makes you wonder if a Union would help teachers? see what I mean -
http://efl-law.com/epik.corres.htm
I asked 7 times about my accommodation which is a one room hole -
why don't they answer me.. i know I am in a province a long way from there, but they were the ones who recruited me and offered me the world,, & whilst some things are great, the #1 concern, my living, is ignored..
Anda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

The new conditions made simple:

1st year. Two weeks of unpaid training before starting work. This is followed by 50 weeks of work in which time you take your paid holidays. If you leave at this stage (end of first contract) you now get paid severance pay. So now you get fifty four weeks pay including holidays and severance pay(before we only got 50 weeks). Plus the location bonus if posted away from the main cities. Oh, airfares also but we now have to pay for half of our medical cover where as before we didn't. At the moment those on level one have 42,000 won paid by the school per month so if we paid 50% of the current medical cost it would amount to 21,000 won per month.

2nd year. We now get an extra two weeks of paid holidays where as before we had to take two weeks of unpaid holidays between contracts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: