Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extensions (legally).. how?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Extensions (legally).. how? Reply with quote

How do teachers get extensions to legally work longer than their contract?

(Its not me, but for a co-worker of mine)..
FierceInvalid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently did this. I originally thought that I'd just be able to extend my current contract/visa for a couple of months without much hassle, but I ended up signing a new (short-term) contract and going on a run to Osaka. However, I remember them saying that the process would have been much simpler if my ARC had not yet expired, which it had (you may or may not remember reading about my troubles with immigration at that time on this board). So, if your friend's ARC is still valid it may not be much trouble to extend for a while...the school could just call immigration, fill out some papers, etc.
camel96

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long do they want to extend for...?
Like a couple of weeks....? Or months....?
prairieboy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your ARC is still valid then just take your ARC, passport and plane ticket (or contract if you are extending your work here) to immigration. Fill out a form to extend your visa (I can't remember the title of the form) and give them your documents and card. On the form you fill out how long you want for an extension and the reason why you want an extension. You can tell them that you want to travel for a week or two within Korea before leaving and that will be enough.

If you are leaving they'll stamp your ARC with "Final Extension" and photocopy your plane ticket. As well, they'll write "USED" on your visa in your passport.

If you are signing on for another year or a shorter term, they'll extend your sojourn period and update your ARC. So you need the contract with you at that time.

Cheers
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prairieboy is right, except don't forget to take some money with you...I think it's W45,000 for an extension. Expect to leave your passport and ARC with Immigration for a few days.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extension stamp in my passport says, "Permission for Extension of XXX XXX Period" The XXs are unclear, may say Sojourn.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
prairieboy is right, except don't forget to take some money with you...I think it's W45,000 for an extension. Expect to leave your passport and ARC with Immigration for a few days.

A short extension (spending a few days after you are done working) with air ticket in hand is free. I was in and out with the extension stamped in my passprt the same day.

Which Immigration office do you frequent?
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to get an extension to a visa without having an airline ticket?

I realize you need the airline ticket already purchased to get back your pension money, but what about getting a visa extended? Can I just go in and tell them I need two more weeks?
howie2424

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just extended for 6 more months at the Ujeungboo office. In addition to the immigration forms and the fee they only required a new contract covering the extension period, no plane ticket. Hope this helps.
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to extend my visa for a week or two, not six months. I won't be renewing my contract here, I just want a few extra days on my visa in case I have any problems picking up my severance pay.

I want to be able to walk in with my just passport and ARC, and get another week or so.

Is this possible?
DF10

Location: Ecuador...until April 1...then back to the Soul of Seoul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: visa, but not ARC, will expire while out of Korea Reply with quote

Long story short...We are extending our contract. Our E-2's expire while we are out of Korea for the VACAY. Renewal issues were beyond our control. Our ARC's do not expire yet. Will we get a tourist visa to come back in? Will we have to do a visa run? or because our ARC's are still good, can we just renew at immigration...even assuming we will get a tourist visa on the way back in? Any info appreciated...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: