Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Depression Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The United States has been here once before, and Theodore Roosevelt and the Progressives turned it around.

Ah, Mayberry.

First, progs will never target usury and banks in a meaningful way. To paraphrase Ezra Pound.. no, not all liberals are in usury, but everybody in usury is a liberal. That's where the prog bread gets buttered.

Second, that USA is dead, dead, dead. It had a WASP elite that felt affinity for the population. It had a sense of itself and purpose. It was populist and not progressive.

The current USA is run by a hostile elite. Have you noticed how the NYT etc are portraying the Boston bombers in a sympathetic light? Have you noticed how the bombers are getting the Trayvon Martin photo treatment? They're playing for another team. Their own team. They're winning because the opposition doesn't know it is in competition.

And the immigration bill in current form will allow 33 million 5th grade drop outs (plus a hell of a lot of Indian IT workers) in over the next 10 years. So the electorate will get dumber and dumber and dumber. This electorate will not rise up and elect a Roosevelt. That's the point of the bill, right? You get that?

Quote:
Its upper-class welfare.

It's all they have left. Google has a market cap of 265b and employs around 30k people in the USA. Think about that. While Google is an extreme example, we are in a time when technology is destroying jobs, real unemployment (if measured how it was measured during the depression) is 20%+, the elite are importing a new population. Industry abroad, wealth hoarded off-shore, and the FIRE economy milking everybody for interest.

Quote:
People need to realize the many ways in which banks fleece this country.

If they haven't rebelled at the scams yet then they never will. Jon Corzine would have been punished more for a speeding infraction and 99% of the proles have no idea who he is.
Titus

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2013/05/02/president-obama-announces-his-nominees-secretary-commerce-and-us-trade-representativ

Quote:
Penny Pritzker is President Obama's choice for Secretary of Commerce. The President praised the Chicago businesswoman, who was a member of his Jobs Council. "Penny is one of our country�s most distinguished business leaders," he said.

President Obama's pick for U.S. Trade Representative, a Cabinet-level position, is Mike Froman, one of his top national security and economic advisors for several years. The President highlighted the work Froman has done organizing international trade summits. "He's been a key negotiator alongside Ron Kirk on those trade agreements for South Korea, Colombia, and Panama, which support tens of thousands of American jobs," said President Obama.

With Jack Lew at Treasury too.

Pritzker is responsible for Obama being president. She hand picked him when a state senator and introduced him to the kingmaker Robert Rubin.

I have full confidence in Froman to represent the national interests of Goldman Sachs et al to the world.

Hope and Change.

For some reason Gill Marcus came to mind when reading of dear old Penny.

She was a (in order): 1) communist 2) anti-apartheid activist 3) gender studies professor 4) CEO of a gold company and now 5) Governor of the South African Reserve Bank.

Destroying the old order has nothing to do with universal values and everything to do with becoming the new order.
Titus

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/05/02/190210/obama-taps-chicago-friend-for.html?storylink=MI_emailed#.UYchedffu5k

Ha. Typical. Her little crime family created the idea of mortgage back securities and blew up a bank.
Titus

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know if I should put this in the Banana Republic thread or this one:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/larry-summers-top-pick-replace-ben-bernanke-fed-chief-report-article-1.1356371

http://static.seekingalpha.com/uploads/2010/3/29/saupload_committee_to_save_the_world_303x400.jpg
ampersandman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find news depressing.
Fox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceland's EU bid is over, commission told.

Quote:
BRUSSELS - Iceland's bid to join the EU is over, the country's foreign minister told the European Commission on Thursday (13 June).

"This is how democracy works," said Gunnar Bragi Sveinsson, on his first overseas trip, three weeks after being appointed to the recently elected Icelandic government.

He pointed out that both parties in the new government had campaigned against EU accession.

He commented that the main purpose of the trip had been "to tell the commission that the new government has made decision to put negotiations on hold.

"We are part of Europe and want to strengthen our relationship in other ways," he added.

Speaking during a frosty press conference with reporters on Thursday (13 June), Stefan Fule, the Czech commissioner responsible for EU membership bids, admitted that Iceland's decision was a personal blow.

"It was not easy for me as a person (to take the decision)," said Fule. But he added: "I am also a professional and I respect without any questions and any doubt, the will of elected representative and citizens".

He also maintained that talks on Iceland's accession to the EU should still be completed. "We remain fully committed to continuing and completing the process."

The commissioner called on the Icelandic government to make a quick decision on whether it had any intentions to re-open negotiations.

“It is in the interest of us all that the decision is not taken in an unlimited period of time,” he said.

The outgoing social democratic government began EU accession talks in 2010, arguing that joining the bloc would offer economic security to the country, which was devastated by an economic crisis that wiped out its banking sector in 2008.

However, the April election, which was won decisively by the centre-right Independence party and the Progressive party, was viewed as a vote against EU membership. Opinion polls indicate that only 25 percent of Icelanders support EU membership.

Iceland has closed about a third of the 33 negotiation chapters in the EU's body of legislation, known as the acquis communautaire. It also applies most EU single market legislation as part of its membership of the European Free Trade Area (EFTA).

"The level of alignment with EU decisions by Iceland is actually better than a number of member states,' said Fule.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea why Iceland would want to join the EU given the EU's economic problems and Iceland's success in turning its own economy around. Nice to know Iceland's electorate has some common sense.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Goldman is Keynesian Reply with quote

John Maynard Keynes wrote:
If the Treasury were to fill old bottles with banknotes, bury them at suitable depths in disused coalmines which are then filled up to the surface with town rubbish, and leave it to private enterprise on well-tried principles of laissez-faire to dig the notes up again (the right to do so being obtained, of course, by tendering for leases of the note-bearing territory), there need be no more unemployment and, with the help of the repercussions, the real income of the community, and its capital wealth also, would probably become a good deal greater than it actually is. It would, indeed, be more sensible to build houses and the like; but if there are political and practical difficulties in the way of this, the above would be better than nothing.

Keynes from Book 3, Chapter 10, Section 6 pg.129 "The General Theory.."

The Aluminum Shuffle

Quote:
Hundreds of millions of times a day, thirsty Americans open a can of soda, beer or juice. And every time they do it, they pay a fraction of a penny more because of a shrewd maneuver by Goldman Sachs and other financial players that ultimately costs consumers billions of dollars.

. . .

Using special exemptions granted by the Federal Reserve Bank and relaxed regulations approved by Congress, the banks have bought huge swaths of infrastructure used to store commodities and deliver them to consumers — from pipelines and refineries in Oklahoma, Louisiana and Texas; to fleets of more than 100 double-hulled oil tankers at sea around the globe; to companies that control operations at major ports like Oakland, Calif., and Seattle.

In the case of aluminum, Goldman bought Metro International Trade Services, one of the country’s biggest storers of the metal. More than a quarter of the supply of aluminum available on the market is kept in the company’s Detroit-area warehouses.

Before Goldman bought Metro International three years ago, warehouse customers used to wait an average of six weeks for their purchases to be located, retrieved by forklift and delivered to factories. But now that Goldman owns the company, the wait has grown more than 20-fold — to more than 16 months, according to industry records.

Deregulation allowed banks to become traders.

Quote:
Over the past decade, a handful of bank holding companies have sought and received approval from the Federal Reserve to buy physical commodity trading assets.

According to public documents in an application filed by JPMorgan Chase, the Fed said such arrangements would be approved only if they posed no risk to the banking system and could “reasonably be expected to produce benefits to the public, such as greater convenience, increased competition, or gains in efficiency, that outweigh possible adverse effects, such as undue concentration of resources, decreased or unfair competition, conflicts of interests, or unsound banking practices.”

By controlling warehouses, pipelines and ports, banks gain valuable market intelligence, investment analysts say. That, in turn, can give them an edge when trading commodities. In the stock market, such an arrangement might be seen as a conflict of interest — or even insider trading. But in the commodities market, it is perfectly legal.

So, how does the invisible hand look from the ground?

Quote:
When they do work, forklift drivers say, there is much more urgency moving aluminum into, and among, the warehouses than shipping it out. Mr. Clay, the forklift driver, who worked at the Mount Clemens warehouse until February, said that while aluminum was delivered in huge loads by rail car, it left in a relative trickle by truck.

“They’d keep loading up the warehouses and every now and then, when one was totally full they’d shut it down and send the drivers over here to try and fill another one up,” said Mr. Clay, 23.

Because much of the aluminum is simply moved from one Metro facility to another, warehouse workers said they routinely saw the same truck drivers making three or more round trips each day. Anthony Stuart, a forklift team leader at the Mount Clemens warehouse until 2012, said he and his nephew — who worked at a Metro warehouse about six miles away in Chesterfield Township — occasionally asked drivers to pass messages back and forth between them.

“Sometimes I’d talk to my nephew on the weekend, and we’d joke about it,” Mr. Stuart said. “I’d ask him ‘Did you get all that metal we sent you?’ And he’d tell; me ‘Yep. Did you get all that stuff we sent you?' ”

It looks ridiculous. Although Keynes would call this better than nothing, I suppose.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voters need to make the politicans who are in bed with Wall St to pay. I'm not holding my breath though...

If I were an aspiring Republican in NY, I'd totally go after Schumer's ties to Wall St. Of course how many legit, competent Republicans are in NY who would have a shot at a national office? So it goes..
Titus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
Voters need to make the politicans who are in bed with Wall St to pay. I'm not holding my breath though...

If I were an aspiring Republican in NY, I'd totally go after Schumer's ties to Wall St. Of course how many legit, competent Republicans are in NY who would have a shot at a national office? So it goes..

Solid. How much does an ad in the NYT cost? Who will pay for this attack? Who will pay to defend from the incredible backlash of usury-is-great propaganda?

There will never never never ever ever ever in any way ever what so ever at all be a "democratic" solution to the problem of usury.
Kuros

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:

Solid. How much does an ad in the NYT cost? Who will pay for this attack? Who will pay to defend from the incredible backlash of usury-is-great propaganda?

If Elizabeth Warren can get elected, so can any other Native American commie liberal elitist professor.

Quote:
There will never never never ever ever ever in any way ever what so ever at all be a "democratic" solution to the problem of usury.

Usury is an abstract concept. There may well be democratic solutions to prosecuting Wall Street fraud, to instituting a financial transactions or even a capital transfers tax, to reinstating Glass-Steagall, to establishing a campaign finance regulation amendment, etc.
Titus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If Elizabeth Warren can get elected, so can any other Native American commie liberal elitist professor.

The might of sincerely liberal America asserts itself and gets Elizabeth Warren.

Quote:
Usury is an abstract concept. There may well be democratic solutions to prosecuting Wall Street fraud, to instituting a financial transactions or even a capital transfers tax, to reinstating Glass-Steagall, to establishing a campaign finance regulation amendment, etc.

Usury is profit from money lending. The currency in your pocket is privately created through the process of lending (and wtf is with that crazy all seeing eye anyway). Our economic system is based on usury. It's not abstract. This NOTE is legal tender. Not This Equity is Legal Tender. Yeah?

A financial transactions tax & Glass Steagall are tissue on a MOAB wound. The enormous gains from usury will eventually provide sufficient power for such reforms to be removed. As they were.

If elections were publicly financed then there would be the possibility of meaningful reform. We'd have more covert bribery then.
Kuros

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
Quote:

The might of sincerely liberal America asserts itself and gets Elizabeth Warren.

Its telling that you went with 'sincerely liberal.' If you did a Venn Diagram of her allegiances, you'd see that there's more than liberal there.

The woman has been in office six months and already you are mocking her for her inefficacy. If you weren't so impatient you would wait 2-3 years to give her the opportunity to fail.
Titus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Its telling that you went with 'sincerely liberal.' If you did a Venn Diagram of her allegiances, you'd see that there's more than liberal there.

I could have said 'thinking liberal' or similar. My point is that in the vast sea of people who are liberal exists a small percentage who have actually thought about it.

Quote:
The woman has been in office six months and already you are mocking her for her inefficacy. If you weren't so impatient you would wait 2-3 years to give her the opportunity to fail.

She comes from a great warrior tradition. She has no chance though. The problems are too far gone for Congress to deal with.

I'm over it. Onwards and upwards. We should all know the score now and act accordingly.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CFTC examining warehouse operations

Funny what a news story can do sometimes.

Quote:
A tactic devised by Goldman Sachs and other financial players that has inflated the price of aluminum — and ultimately cost consumers billions of dollars — is coming under federal scrutiny.

The Commodity Futures Trading Commission has taken the first step in an examination of warehouse operations that are controlled by Goldman Sachs, Glencore Xstrata, the Noble Group and others and used to store vast amounts of aluminum. The operations were the subject of an article by The New York Times that was published on Sunday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109  Next
Page 106 of 109

Jump to: