Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Depression Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 107, 108, 109  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermind

Last edited by Leon on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros posted the same link on the previous page.
Leon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew it seemed really relevant while I was reading it, no wonder.
Unposter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess in some ways one can say that "globalization" is a policy but it really is a concept - to think and do beyond trational nation-state borders.

It really does depend on how people use "globalization" - it can help and benefit people and it can hurt people.

As far as I can tell, the problem lies more in our movement towards de-regulation and regressive tax policies and not in globalization itself.

There is always things (work) for people to do, the U.S. and the world, would be much better off if we put a larger percentage of people to work. The problem is the financial incentives for such work. We are valueing the financial aspects of the economy to such a degree that other work is languishing. This seems policy driven to me.

Personally, I think there is a lot of scape-goating "globalism" and "technology" rather than understanding that it is policy that is driving the divide in the economy.

Nothing will change until we do with root causes.
Fox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
The choice is i) the guy who is second most responsible for the crisis (after Rubin) or ii) a woman who didn't know what was happening:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/14/business/economy/careers-of-2-fed-contenders-reveal-little-on-regulatory-approach.html?pagewanted=3&_r=0
Quote:
“For my own part,” Ms. Yellen said, “I did not see and did not appreciate what the risks were with securitization, the credit ratings agencies, the shadow banking system, the S.I.V.’s — I didn’t see any of that coming until it happened.” Her startled interviewers noted that almost none of the officials who testified had offered a similar acknowledgment of an almost universal failure.

Right, but number two would be a "historic" appointment and "progress" for women, so even considering trying to find a third, better choice would be automatically sexist. She's also evidently nice to people, which is important given IQ has been replaced with EQ as "the thing."
Kuros

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since she has recognized her error and admitted it, I believe it might prove beneficial that she was wrong. The elite could use more humility in the ranks. Geithner, Summers, and Obama together regarded themselves all too highly.
caniff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unposter wrote:
Personally, I think there is a lot of scape-goating "globalism" and "technology" rather than understanding that it is policy that is driving the divide in the economy.

Nothing will change until we do with root causes.

Nothing will change until a critical mass of people finally wake up to the fact that the whole shebang is a massive scam which was designed from the get-go to be the mother-of-all-screw-jobs upon humanity and which is run by what essentially has consistently been composed of a particularly virulent variety of scum.

Yay ^^

If something changes (a long shot, but it's a maybe), you better hold onto your hats.
Titus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
Since she has recognized her error and admitted it, I believe it might prove beneficial that she was wrong. The elite could use more humility in the ranks. Geithner, Summers, and Obama together regarded themselves all too highly.

Fair enough.

What will she do w/r/t interest rates? Does anybody know? When rates rise after being low we get a crackup and when they're kept low the eventual crackup gets huge. Fine balance to keep.

Quote:
Nothing will change until a critical mass of people finally wake up to the fact

Mass media will keep all of us pacified. There won't be a collapse but a slow, grinding decline. I doubt a catalyst will appear. The Depression didn't do it.

Quote:
Right, but number two would be a "historic" appointment and "progress" for women

Yes, now American girls can grow up knowing that their dream of being Queen Usurers isn't kept from them.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
Kuros wrote:

Fair enough.

What will she do w/r/t interest rates? Does anybody know? When rates rise after being low we get a crackup and when they're kept low the eventual crackup gets huge. Fine balance to keep.

I have no idea. I just know the people who know this better than I do prefer Yellen to the other potential nominees. Surely there are more ideal possible candidates than Yellen, but asking for them may be asking for the impossible.
Titus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such as whom and why?
Kuros

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1kfoy5/what_is_a_dirty_little_or_big_secret_about_an/cboo7t5

CanadianBadass wrote:
I worked as a software consultant for a couple years in the finance industry. As such, I worked on many trading floors. The shit that you see there will make you lose all hope in finance, the stock market, traders and humanity in general.
Try to think of the biggest douchiest guy you've ever met, then add a god complex to him and is purely motivated by money. That's what 99% of traders are like. They say a curse every other word, they don't have any manners, they will belittle anyone that isn't like them, they boast about every little accomplishment, they think that the rest of the world are just a bunch of lazy fucks (including the people that have money in the fund they're managing) and they think they are the center of the universe.
The reason for this? For one, the whole industry is like this and if you don't become like them, you will be chewed & spit out. Second, they become like this because of positive re-reinforcement for bad behavior. These banking companies are greedy and all they want is money (this coming from the top brass) and everyone is trying to get a piece. They will *beep* your retirement savings over just so they can make a cool $1M or more profit on it, and nobody bats an eye that it's extremely immoral, heck, they congratulate and promote you instead.
But there was this one guy in particular that was essentially the devil's asshole. He had a massive corner office and made almost half a billion (yes, with a B) dollars of profit for this particular banking company. He was a shark that would kill your granny just to take her savings away, but he was untouchable because he made so much money. To the point that this cunt berry had a sexual harassment lawsuit filed against him every month by different female employees in the office. The company, not wanting to get scrutinized and bring legal papers into the matter, would settle out of court for a minimum of $50K and then told the ladies to find another job.
I'm not shitting you, this guy was getting positive reinforcement for harassing women like a drunk horny sailor and nobody said anything. It was the norm. The worst part? All the traders looked up at him like a fucking god, a hero.
Last thing I want is my money handled by these douche canoes. I quit soon after seeing this spectacle of human scum.
TLDR; Finance industry is full of douche canoes that manages your money.

The man with the oxymoron for a handle paints a persuasive picture. I am not sure that this is a secret anymore, though.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
Such as whom and why?

Here's a good round-up of pro-Yellen articles.

Generally, the mood is simply anti-Summers, as seen here and here.
Titus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey who decided that it was a Summers/Yellen dichotomy? Isn't this an excellent example of the false-choice propaganda and same same outcome that typifies modern politics?

Who? The media? Who in the media? Obama? Obama isn't curious enough to care and very likely has no idea what the Fed actually does. Where did this dichotomy come from? Who told Obama the choice was Y v S? Find that person and you will discover power.

And then for this to be sold as some kind of female liberation story. Good lord. The only honest thing Summers has ever said was about women and science. Summers hand picked Kagan for HLS - despite her being denied tenure at a lesser school for being completely unremarkable. Isn't that feminist? He hired an unremarkable butch lesbian leftist who went on to the SCOTUS.

It is all so nakedly ridiculous. I'm going to the beach.
Titus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summers:

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/larry-summers-and-the-secret-end-game-memo

Rubin is the king maker in America. He made Summers and he made Obama. Now Summers is going to control the de facto global currency and with it global financial activity.

What could go wrong?
Titus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/10260693/Emerging-market-rout-threatens-wider-global-economy.html

Problems brewing.

Quote:
A string of countries have been burning foreign reserves to defend exchange rates, with holdings down 8pc in Ecuador, 6pc in Kazakhstan and Kuwait, and 5.5pc in Indonesia in July alone. Turkey’s reserves have dropped 15pc this year.

The end of QE (likely to happen quicker under Summers) has major landmines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 107, 108, 109  Next
Page 108 of 109

Jump to: